Video Thread

DemolitionMan

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Ah. Plastik Am Himmel.

You know, the BO-105 was always considered to be the training helicopter until the real one (which ended up being the Tiger; they should have bought the Apache right from the start, but noo...) would come into service. Which it never did, until very recently.

I'm curious, I always understood the Tiger was comparable to the Apache.  Are you suggesting they should have bought Apache to get a chopper quicker, or that it should have been bought instead of Tiger because it's superior?

Also, I can't help but laugh..."Hubschrauber"...I know what it means but it still sounds funny to me.  Like the word Buoy.  Buoy...Boo-ee...Silly word...

• Members

The various configurations for the Tiger are somewhat comparable to the AH-64A, except that they were effectively introduced ten to twenty years after the Apache, and that the Apache now has the Longbow radar (and the Tiger doesn't). A lot of money was wasted on the development of an inferior "me too" product that suffered from the diverging requirements between what the French wanted (and got), and what the Bundeswehr wanted (and didn't get, because they changed their fundamental requirements mid stream). Going for the Apache would have been faster, maybe even cheaper, and would have yielded a vastly more capable system.

46 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I thought it was linked to the symbol from the American War of Independence.

That is the origin, the screenshot for the video, and mpow66's avatar, are the original Gadsden flag.

It was a reference to a drawing originally published by Benjamin Franklin, depicting the separate colonies as a chopped up snake, "Join or Die".  Surprise!  All the colonies got together, and now if you step on us...

"No Step On Snek" is just a lighthearted parody of the original, for those who completely missed the original meaning of the flag lol

Pilots say the Bo-105 is not the easiest, but a very capable helicopter to fly.

A by now famous video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lakMTYTUKM

The pilot was instructor with the BW, and some time later got himself killed in one of his stunt flights. If you fly too long with that almost non-existent, extremely narrow margin for error, your luck sooner or later is eaten up.

On 13/10/2016 at 9:05 AM, Hedgehog said:

If Mrs Gibson ever needs a new veggie patch....

:)

Sorry had to open the link to see what you are talking about.

"Veggies" is a humorous name given to our Cav Scouts - the guys travelling around in the ASLAV Type 2 within a Cav Tp.

Having seen the video, I think my wife would prefer to use a miclic. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

On 30/09/2016 at 10:43 AM, Maj.Hans said:

I'm curious, I always understood the Tiger was comparable to the Apache.  Are you suggesting they should have bought Apache to get a chopper quicker, or that it should have been bought instead of Tiger because it's superior?

In retrospect, the Australians should have bought something other than the Tiger - they have had a lot of problems with it, particularly relating to manufacturer support, and are looking to ditch it. Whether Apache would have been a good call for them, I can't say. It's an awesomely effective machine, particularly when fitted with the Longbow Radar, and recent upgrades, but it's still very, very maintenance intensive, which when you will need to operate far from bases is not such a good thing. It looks like they're not intending to directly replace Tiger with anything, but there is at least one person here who would have access to much more up to date info than I have:

https://warisboring.com/australia-is-giving-up-on-its-tiger-gunships-which-have-never-seen-combat-ac0f8f3152c7#.azc5dwlx0

Edited by ChrisWerb

Fun fact, he mentions the tanks the Germans stole from the Czechs.  I wrote a term paper for a history class on the effect of letting Germany have the Sudetenland on WW2...

Pz.35t, Pz.38t tanks (about 50% of German tank strength in France...) leading to the Hetzer, etc, Vz.24 rifles (equipping 11 divisions...) and the ZB26 LMG...etc