Video Thread

DemolitionMan

Tanks numbered 109### by the IDF are war booty captured during the 1967 war and accepted into service.

Early on the 1973 war, tank no. 109121, that served with the 9th armor battalion at the northern sector of the Suez canal (near Qantara), took a RPG hit to its engine and remained in Egyptian-held territory. Somehow it reached the US.

The tank is presented with APFSDS rounds which didn't exist at the time:

As for Yuval Neria: when the war broke out he served as the K company XO in the 9th armor battalion. It is not mentioned explicitly whether 109121 was his own original tank.

Neria kept fighting while replacing tanks multiple times. For a while he crewed a tank manned solely by officers, which were all killed (and posthumously decorated) at "Makhshir" (Katib el-Kheil) on October 8th, shortly after Neria left that tank in order to command another (which was also hit during the same battle).

On October 9th Neria established a tank company which notably participated one of the major October 14th armor battles, near "Hamadia" versus the Egyptian 21st armored division. Eventually he was badly injured north of the Chinese farm on October 18th.

During the 1982 war, Neria commanded a reserve M48 battalion which saw little fighting south of Sultan Yacoub.

Edited by Iarmor

12 hours ago, Marko said:

A plug for bovington Tank museum by none other then James May.

I had the pleasure of being allowed to sit in the drivers seat of tiger tank 131 on a trip to bovington.

Saw him at Tankfest last year being shown around the CR2 Megatrone, looked pissed to me :D

Edited by Crusty

Bovington Tank museum, got to say probaly the best Tank museum in the world, good vid , keep meaning to visit the museum again i know they have a lot more vehicles than last time i was there, cheers enjoyed the vid mate. 

Edited by Wardog

On 1/19/2017 at 7:49 PM, Marko said:

A plug for bovington Tank museum by none other then James May.

I had the pleasure of being allowed to sit in the drivers seat of tiger tank 131 on a trip to bovington.

what's the point in quoting me ? am i missing something. 

On 12/27/2016 at 7:04 PM, Ssnake said:

Sure, but not every soldier clipped a GoPro to his helmet.

I think it's been a long time since anyone in the 'west' has had to fight to protect his own borders.  Really since WW2, although 'western' nations have been involved in plenty of conflicts, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, Grenada, etc...I don't think any of them have fought close to home.

Perhaps the most recent one was the Falklands War, which still must have felt like almost another country to the British forces fighting there.

My gut feeling is that when you're being sent on a plane thousands of miles away to some foreign land that looks almost nothing like home, like Iraq, Afghanistan, Iwo Jima, Korea, Vietnam, etc, it seems like something worth filming because of how strange it is.  But when you LIVE THERE...Like the Israeli, Egyptian, Syrian, and other soldiers who fought in that region...Do you really find the time to whip out the camera and film the fight when you're fighting to keep your own home?

• Members

It is as much a matter of practicality and opportunity as it is one of motivation. A GoPro is much easier to handle than a wet film camera, even in the "Super 8" format (which took some time to get invented and to be commercially successful as well, BTW). Then it is also a matter of information policy, and its enforcement by unit commanders.