Video Thread

DemolitionMan

The rocky terrain's effect on the rubber track pads was the reason for the replacement of the M60's original tracks with the Merkava tracks.

During the 60s-70s, the Israeli M48/60s saw action mostly on the yellow sand dunes of Sinai, where the T97 tracks did well, while Centurions were deployed to the basaltic Golan height. The need to replace the rubber tracks first arose in the early 80s, when a M60A1 brigade spent large amounts of T142 track pads while training in the Golan for operation in Lebanon.

Starting in the mid-80s, the Merkava tracks were initially fitted to M60s and then also to some of the M60A1s. 

Edited by Iarmor

23 minutes ago, Iarmor said:

The rocky terrain's effect on the rubber track pads was the reason for the replacement of the M60's original tracks with the Merkava tracks.

During the 60s-70s, the Israeli M48/60s saw action mostly on the yellow sand dunes of Sinai, where the T97 tracks did well, while Centurions were deployed to the basaltic Golan height. The need to replace the rubber tracks first arose in the early 80s, when a M60A1 brigade spent large amounts of T142 track pads while training in the Golan for operation in Lebanon.

Starting in the mid-80s, the Merkava tracks were initially fitted to M60s and then also to some of the M60A1s. 

Trackpad changing, you know, I'm happy that this part of tank-life is not modeled in computer games :-D

2 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Thought the driver was bit enthusiastic....

And the bang bang bang ping as the pin went "Freedom!" For the second time.

Oops. ?

Of course he's enthusiastic.  How often do you get to take a sledgehammer to the source of your frustrations?

But it just diddent work all the way from 1987 right up to 2000-2002 when HK fixed it

I tried it in Osnabrück in 1993 and it was so bad that they had a special drill to make sure the bolt was all the way forward and they could only use single fire.

So i understand perfectly why it has a bad rep when a rifle is so unreliable that it only works sometimes and you have to make a drill to make sure it fires the next time.

It might work now but it sure as hell diddent back then and worse nobody seem to be doing anything about it for 7 more years. 

Plus the LSW are also out as a support weapon that just further adds to the bad rep.

MD

Edited by Major duck

I had a blast with @Panzer_Leader's scenario "Combat Team Flank Attack at Hamelin." I happened to be extraordinarily lucky in this mission, but that certainly didn't rob me of my enjoyment! I also tried out @Wardog's new Challenger 2 Pack. The BATUS Camo looks quite impressive! Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

As always, I appreciate any feedback, tactics or otherwise. 

• Members

That was a really excellent video. The narration provides a sense of continuity, the video is cut to an appropriate length, all in all very well made. :)

The use of artillery... was very liberal. I saw you frequently calling for 12 tubes x 36 rounds of ICM (almost 400 rounds). Typically you'd be lucky to receive 80 rounds in total for a mission that size. Admittedly the model of artillery terminal effects in SB pro still leaves to be desired, so you'd partly need more rounds to achieve the desired effect; we're working on that. I guess I'm mentioning this to mentally prepare you that one day you'll need to cut back the arty consumption in SB Pro substantially if you don't want to blow your entire allotment in the first minute.

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

That was a really excellent video. The narration provides a sense of continuity, the video is cut to an appropriate length, all in all very well made. :)

The use of artillery... was very liberal. I saw you frequently calling for 12 tubes x 36 rounds of ICM (almost 400 rounds). Typically you'd be lucky to receive 80 rounds in total for a mission that size. Admittedly the model of artillery terminal effects in SB pro still leaves to be desired, so you'd partly need more rounds to achieve the desired effect; we're working on that. I guess I'm mentioning this to mentally prepare you that one day you'll need to cut back the arty consumption in SB Pro substantially if you don't want to blow your entire allotment in the first minute.

Thanks for the feedback! I was certainly EXTREMELY liberal with the use of artillery (got rounds? Shoot 'em!). Looking back at the AAR, I could have cut back on the expenditure of rounds and had a similar effect, since the main area that it really helped was at the Objective. 

In general, I am not as familiar with the artillery system as I am with other aspects of Steel Beasts, guys like @Hedgehog, and @D u k e continue to amaze (or frustrate, depending on if we are on the same side ;)) me with their employment of it in multiplayer. 

Enjoyed the video.

You asked for ideas for future videos.

One of the things I like to do when I have successfully completed a mission is edit the mission.

Changing the vehicles for more advanced types. IE instead of T55 add T-72 or even T-90 give the BRDM ATs more advanced missile types etc.

Then replay the mission. Its very unlikely the mission will run the same way as the first attempt did.

57 minutes ago, Marko said:

Enjoyed the video.

You asked for ideas for future videos.

One of the things I like to do when I have successfully completed a mission is edit the mission.

Changing the vehicles for more advanced types. IE instead of T55 add T-72 or even T-90 give the BRDM ATs more advanced missile types etc.

Then replay the mission. Its very unlikely the mission will run the same way as the first attempt did.

When I was making a plan for this mission, I identified AoA Mace as being my least preferable course of action, due to bounding right into the enemy's Kill Zone and having my flanks exposed. I was toying with the idea of playing the mission again, but trying to make an advance "straight down the middle" work. I might come back to this mission, edit it to be set in a more modern era, and see if I can actually do it. I certainly enjoyed my first play-through of it!  

• Members

It might also be inetresting to place some light infantry with some anti tank weaponry to cover the forest bypass.

Forests have little obstacle value if left completely unguarded. At the same time with relatively light forces they can be easily defended (at least that's how the theory goes).

As the defender I'd place an abatis to close the open paths, just to make it laborious to slog through, buying time for the defenders to send their reserve to deal with this attempt. Good mission design would present you with two equally painful alternatives (just different flavors of pain) to choose from.

1 hour ago, Mirzayev said:

When I was making a plan for this mission, I identified AoA Mace as being my least preferable course of action, due to bounding right into the enemy's Kill Zone and having my flanks exposed. I was toying with the idea of playing the mission again, but trying to make an advance "straight down the middle" work. I might come back to this mission, edit it to be set in a more modern era, and see if I can actually do it. I certainly enjoyed my first play-through of it!  

Have just downloaded the mission.

I was considering using a rolling smoke/ HE barrage and trying to steam roller my way up the middle to the OBJ.

Casualtys will be high, but speed and smoke mite just give my forces the edge.

Will let you know how it went.

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I suspect badly.

There are a bunch of "surprises" to deal with. :)

I completed the mission took the OBJ but as I expected causality's were very high over fifty percent.

The mission score stated it was a major defeat probably due to the high casualties

I would not have normally attacked straight down the centre just wanted to experiment.

The rolling Arty did work to a degree.

But my co-ordination could have been better I made a stupid mistake that cost my mech inf they cut to pieces in a Arty strike.

All in all a very tough mission your fighting the terrain and obstacles as much as the enemy.

Kudus to the mission designer he anticipated a player trying to use the main road very well placing obstacles and kill Zones.

As Gibsonm stated some nasty surprises along the way.

Enjoyed the mission.

Edited by Marko

On 2/24/2017 at 9:03 PM, Mirzayev said:

I had a blast with @Panzer_Leader's scenario "Combat Team Flank Attack at Hamelin." I happened to be extraordinarily lucky in this mission, but that certainly didn't rob me of my enjoyment! I also tried out @Wardog's new Challenger 2 Pack. The BATUS Camo looks quite impressive! Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

As always, I appreciate any feedback, tactics or otherwise. 

Fantastic video Mirzayev and I'm glad you had so much fun playing my scenario; thanks for taking the time to put it together!

In terms of Red-script permutations, I think you had about the easiest run you can with the left-hook approach. Admittedly, Red is scripted primarily to face an enemy approach "up the guts" but there can be an ATGM battery on the left flank which would have made your approach to, and across, the river more challenging. There can also be a Red engineer unit preparing the bridge at RITTERGUT SCHWÖBBER for demolition, which must have spawned in its alternate location, and a battalion headquarters in DEHRENBERG, which must also have been in its alternate location. That's not to take anything away from your plan, but just to highlight that even a run up the left flank can be more difficult, depending on the roll of the dice.

Also, I'm curious, did you find anything interesting when you crossed your "ROUTE NORWAY"? There's a bit of an Easter Egg for those attempting the left flank approach, but discovering it depends on timing...

Thanks again for making your video and your detailed, and positive, review of the scenario in the Downloads section. It's great seeing people enjoying my scenarios so much and makes the investment of time and energy even more worthwhile!

Cheers

Edited by Panzer_Leader

1 hour ago, Panzer_Leader said:

Fantastic video Mirzayev and I'm glad you had so much fun playing my scenario; thanks for taking the time to put it together!

Also, I'm curious, did you find anything interesting when you crossed your "ROUTE NORWAY"? There's a bit of an Easter Egg for those attempting the left flank approach, but discovering it depends on timing...

Thanks you! 

After I crossed the river, I didn't encounter any more enemy forces until I reached the Objective. I looked over the AAR and saw that there were some obstacles that I didn't know where there, but I pushed my forces a lot further west. I can send you the AAR in a PM if you want. 

Ran the mission using M2/M3 and M1A1s

Again just for the hell of it i went up the centre surprisingly i took as many casualties as i did in the original mission.

I used the same tactics and route as i did when i ran the mission in the CR-2s and warriors.

The bradleys tow launchers were effective and the M1s better fire on the move capabilities showed

I like to test  different AFV capabilities in missions and analyse the results.