Video Thread

DemolitionMan

11 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

@Apocalypse 31 and I played the mission Platoon Tactical Movement Exercise by @MDF. This is without a doubt one of the best uses of terrain and scripting that I have seen; the enemy ambushed us at the end with an entire Battalion, all hidden behind an IV line. While we technically "won" according to the scenario, the AI definitely got the drop on us!

Glad you liked it.  I put a lot of time into this one but, sadly, it seems to get little love.  My original objective was for this mission to serve as a multiplayer bounding overwatch exercise.  I was actually worried it might have become unbalanced after the 4.0 update, because in-flight ATGMs have a much reduced visual signature now.

I see that you modified it to show enemy contacts on the map.  That's cool, but it might make it a bit too easy to distinguish between the main defensive line and the COP.

Anyway, the enemy defensive line can spawn at any one of six positions, and I think many of the security zone forces can spawn in different places, too.  So, the mission has a degree of replayability. 

Edited by MDF

39 minutes ago, MDF said:

I see that you modified it to show enemy contacts on the map.  That's cool, but it might make it a bit too easy to distinguish between the main defensive line and the COP.

Actually, I can't do any modifications because the mission is password protected. I think there were probably some changes caused by the difference in versions. That being said, I would love to see this scenario with more traditional scout vehicles (M3A2s, ASLAV-25s, etc.) to focus on training reconnaissance tasks and skills.

I played this one the previous night before myself and Apocalypse did session you see in the video; there is definitely plenty of replayability! 

9 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

Actually, I can't do any modifications because the mission is password protected. I think there were probably some changes caused by the difference in versions. That being said, I would love to see this scenario with more traditional scout vehicles (M3A2s, ASLAV-25s, etc.) to focus on training reconnaissance tasks and skills.

I played this one the previous night before myself and Apocalypse did session you see in the video; there is definitely plenty of replayability! 

Now that I think about it, I sent a non-passworded version to someone on request last year.  Maybe he changed the map update settings and you got your hands on his mod?  If so, it looks like he also fixed a bug where the mission would end if the players' platoon was split into sections or individual vehicles.

1 hour ago, Mirzayev said:

Nope. I downloaded it directly from this site using the link provided. 

Interesting.  I'm virtually certain I disabled enemy map updates.  Maybe recent SB versions have somehow undone this?  I'll have to check.

Another issue that's probably making it easier than intended is that BRDM-2 AT's are currently broken and cannot guide their missiles.

Just played it through and won on single player, I liked the atypical objective of just finding where they are defending instead of the more common "KILL EVERYTHING!" :D Also, I forgot how different SB plays when the observer position is disabled, maybe some day they'll get that working for multiplayer sessions too.

Oh, and one last thing: issues like the map updates changing are why I don't like password protected scenarios, it just means when they inevitably break due to some future update, they can't be fixed by anyone but the original creator who might not be around any more.

Edited by Rotareneg

5 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

Another issue that's probably making it easier than intended is that BRDM-2 AT's are currently broken and cannot guide their missiles.

Ouch!  Is that bug reported?  BRDM-2 AT's are key in at least three of my scenarios, so having them ineffective renders them thin-skinned targets only.  It's funny, because last time I played one of the scenarios (Mechanized Infantry Company Team Attack at Gershausen 1987) I remember thinking the return fire from the AT battery was low / non-existent but didn't follow it up in the AAR.  Definitely a good one to have fixed in the next update if true.

19 hours ago, matsimus said:

Hi Matsimus

A couple of points:

The reason it don't fire faster with those semi automatic systems is that of heat even in this "semi slow" system they have had to build in a heat measure gage as it says so in the movie. And if you have ever tried to man handle shells and prepare charges etc... you would know that fatigue is a very very real issue with so few people on the gun. It need to fire a few rounds very fast and it does that in a way so that all of those rounds from the burst fire hits the target at once in that way a few guns can fire the same way a BTN did during the cold war. But prolonged fire goes at a rate of a round every 30 sec otherwise the barrel overheat. It can burst fire then it have to slow down or overheat and the gun have to correct the aim between each round and every charge need to the right one for that range and elevation and charge.

The 8x8 is the version bought for the Danish Army and the danes has asked for a higher hydraulic pressure so the lovering and raiseing of the rear spades can go way faster , because even though the in and out of under 1 minut it says in the movie is fine , the danish SPG m109A3 have repeatedly fired first round from travel in under 30 seconds and rounds on target in under 1 minute without GPS assist and out of the position in under 30 sec. and if you watch the movie with the 8x8 with danish crew you will notice that it is very very slow to lower the spades and the ammo handling crane makes a very awkward operation very very much more ergonomic . And the latest version is faster then the 6x6 version 

The thing i don't understand is why they haven't made a ammo belt like handling so that the guy who is manegeing the shells only have to set the fuzes and the robotic arm grabs the shells directly from the ammo belt.

and i really don't like that the crew is exposed it is typical hubris that we expect all future enemy's to be ISIS type opponents that don't have drones or helos or aircraft that is capable of hunting down the arty guns

also the 8x8 can carry way more ammo then the 6x6 version

MD

Edited by Major duck