Video Thread

DemolitionMan

• Members

Even the high-res version that I saw only suggests a square/angular turret front; given that Turkey is known to employ Leopard 2A4s in the region right now it at least appears plausible. Likewise, the Kurds received Milan ATGMs from Germany in support of their fight against ISIS; all that the video shows is a red tracer, so it's hard to make a statement that would hold up to critical questions. It is quite possible that they sourced other ATGMs; the time of flight of the missile in the video is about 16 seconds. The delay between explosion and Boom sound is about 10 seconds. This suggests a distance to target of about 3300m (far beyond the Milan's range of 1800m), so it's rather likely that something entirely different was used.

At the end of the day, even older ATGMs that manage to perforate into the hull ammo storage compartment are capable of defeating Leopard 2s. The fundamental problem is the employment of tanks in static, fortified positions, denying them the third tactical component aside from armor protection and firepower - mobility.

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Even the high-res version that I saw only suggests a square/angular turret front; given that Turkey is known to employ Leopard 2A4s in the region right now it at least appears plausible. Likewise, the Kurds received Milan ATGMs from Germany in support of their fight against ISIS; all that the video shows is a red tracer, so it's hard to make a statement that would hold up to critical questions. It is quite possible that they sourced other ATGMs; the time of flight of the missile in the video is about 16 seconds. The delay between explosion and Boom sound is about 10 seconds. This suggests a distance to target of about 3300m (far beyond the Milan's range of 1800m), so it's rather likely that something entirely different was used.

At the end of the day, even older ATGMs that manage to perforate into the hull ammo storage compartment are capable of defeating Leopard 2s. The fundamental problem is the employment of tanks in static, fortified positions, denying them the third tactical component aside from armor protection and firepower - mobility.

aISmoCm0d1w.jpg

SBxrHKQ0vPo.jpg

YocpM_oYNeM.jpg

27545558_1950341311893996_8935054770346075087_n.jpg.016f04dd4eb933e268f5603f3ec80aea.jpg

Edited by lavictoireestlavie

The ATGM of the second video appears to be either an AT-4 or an AT-5 but shows a similar flight pattern and tracer of the missile.

The really interesting thing for me is the absolute inmediate catastrofic explosion on the 2A4. That surprised me.

Also the initial fireball looks like more "fuel" or napaln than the tipical penetration and later ammo and fuel exploding.

We have seen many videos of actual tanks exploding upon receving ATG or tank rounds but such hollywood fuel explsion I have never seen before one milisecond after impact.

Not even with tanks hit by heavy maverik missiles.

But I am surely not an expert and I am probably wrong

Does this explosion one milisecond after impact looks normal to you guys specially considering this could be a 2A4?

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The problem is that in this type of conflict, you have to act "medieval like"...establish strong points ("castles") from which to expand zones of control. The tank may not be the best suited for the main role in this kind of warfare in the first place.

There are better designs for this purpose from the aspect of protection against AGTM (mainly with APS like Merkava and T-90) or with crew surviability like the M1A2.

• Members

Well, sure.

Also, agreed that a tank with an APS would handle this better - but you take what you got, and they don't have an APS yet. So I wonder if you wouldn't be better off keeping the tanks in defilade until you actually need the gun, and rather use manned outposts. Which are also vulnerable to ATGMs, but offer less reward to the attacker. Immobilizing tanks/making their location predictable offers the enemy considerably more freedom to set up his attack, to stake out firing positions well in advance, ...