Fortifications and other stuff

Pop Smoke

This may well be common knowledge but I'll post it anyway.

I prefer to use the single tier fortifications for tanks, mainly because the up and down of the hull during the reload often causes me to lose track of a target and also costs time in getting off a crucial second shot in the two tier versions.

The problem is, the single teir fortifications for each tank variant are frequently ill matched and forward firing is not possible, the front berm being to high.

I made a test .sce to see if there was any variation between tanks and different forts, the results were possibly of interest.

The M1A1 can fire forward only from T72 and T80 single tier fortifications

The same applies to all other tanks with the exception of the Leo 2A5 and the Strv122

The Leo 2A5 can forward fire from the 2A4 Fort

The Strv122 can fire forward from all Forts

All tanks (including T72 and T80) can fire forward from the T72 and T80 forts

Note that this only applies to single tier fortifications. The test was done using the beta.

So until a fix is available, and you use single tier vehicle fortifications, ou could perhaps alter the type to suit your .sce for better functionality.

Just as an observation, which may well be incorrect, it seems that all the single tier forts apart from the T72 and T80 are somehow derived from the two tier version but with the second High level tier removed, so the vehicle is always on the low level, whereas it should all be at the high level, which is what the T72 and T80 seem to be.

On a different subject now.

Troops in buildings. I have destroyed them using a Heat round from a tank, but they seem impervious to the same from PC's, the M2 in particular.

I have seen recently though several youtube vids (linked to from this website) showing that very vehicle employing Heat round against buildings with enemy troops inside, so, should it work but doesn't yet, or am I making a lash of it?

• Members

As far as the buildings are concerned, that's a big can of worms where we need to improve in a number of areas. We must not make ammo too deadly though as long as we do not have internal walls to catch fragment rays. We're aware of the issue, but we need to address a number of other questions first; this is more of a long-term perspective question since it also affects the standards by which we let our artists create building models.

With respect to the emplacements, as a temporary workaround my recommendation is to back halfway out of a tier. That should help you to gain the crucial few centimeters to look and shoot over the berm.

Opfor This shows the setup of a properly dug fighting position for opfor vehcles. Notice the tank is pretty much hidden when in a turret down position.

newP-20.GIF

Extract from FM 17-15 tank platoon. This shows a 3 tiered position. The vehicle may back down to a completly hidden position. The TC would probably just be able to see over ground level if he climbed a little higher then allowed in SBProPE. Notice it specifically calls for antennae to be tied down and that spoil not be placed to front and sides of position but rather spread in to the terrain.

chp4_007.gif

Here is a shot of an M-1A1 in a 2 tiered M-1 position in desert terrain for clarity. Notice that when hull down most of the "protection" is simply spoil. The spoil on the sides appears to be approx 2 ft high and approx 3 ft high in the front and around 8 ft in depth. Since I dont think spoil is modeled with the protective qualities of solid earth, what this means to me is if you use one of the positions you are exposed from the bottom of the skirts on up. Even when camo the spoil around these positions sticks out rather badly.

defilade.jpg

I completely understand that the "good ideas" list quite long. I just ask that these positions be revisited for further improvement in the future.

Mog

Your diagram seems a little misleading for the OPFOR positions as the ramps take up the bulk of the position when drawn to scale.

Is it possible to emplace the vehicle with the gun so low to the ground? A rough sketch shows little to no clearance and if nothing else this will raise an enormous dust cloud when fired that will probably blind the position for some time.

T72A.gif.aa2d29509fa4e2860870498baddad63

T72A.gif.aa2d29509fa4e2860870498baddad63

That diagram was a little misleading as it shows a T-72 but the dimensions are actually for a Vismod M551 Sheridan used as an Opfor vehicle at NTC. (reference link http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/Red-Star/issues/APR96/APR96.HTML )

The concept of the position remains the same and if positions of this type were ever to be implemented they would have to have custom dimensions anyway.

PS Those red thrust star journals make interesting reading. Link here > http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/Red-Star/Red-Star.htm

Mog