Infantry Small Arms Mod

Tacbat

Sounds great.

With the greater clarity, I was starting to wonder what guns specifically I was hearing (could be a new dimension to the SB tactical experience - can you tell who is shooting by the sound?). What sounds are in the mix?

I like the mod Tac. Lot better IMHO from the original.

Being one of the many folks here who have had the non-pleasure of actually hearing incoming rounds I would suggest two movies that I recall having VERY accurate sounds of AK rounds coming in. "Hamburger Hill" and "Blackhawk Down". I don't know if you can sample from that or not, but you can get a taste for that peculiar "zip" that they have, if you haven't had that experience. (unfortunately a great many more folks have that shared experience anymore these days).

As for outgoing, make it as loud and confusing as possible and you'll have it down. "Ear-Ringing" would be the correct volume. :)

What sounds are in the mix?

Right now there are samples from the M16, M249, M240, AK and PKM. I might tweak it a bit to have more M16 and less M240 as I'm pretty sure that MG is not part of a section's load out.

Blue gets the US weapon sounds, and Red gets the Russian sounds.

Edited by Tacbat

Tacbat, sounds like you got a squad of Rambos there, everyones packing either a GPMG (m240) or a Minimi.

Plus the reliability and rate they're unloading would put a Coax to shame.

IMO it needs to be more aimed single shots and short MG bursts.

(80/20 ratio to the rifle)

Otherwise its a good effort.

• Moderators

Sounds good to me.

Funny that this should come up, I had been holding off for when the infantry sound triggers got updated (think specific sound files for specific ammo types instead of a set for red and blue) before changing them from the generic old SB1 era small arms sound effects which have admittedly become long in the tooth so to speak. The desired sound upgrade has yet to occur though (still waiting to add in some 750 sound effects), so I had not yet replaced them since 1999. However, just recently, I had to replace all the old smallarms and smallround (flyby) sounds from my new set of recordings for the next update because of a change in the mechanic of how they are played. I only mention it because the change will probably make current small arms sound mods obsolete. The change still won't have the sound specific to round type, but how the engine deals with sound on a round by round basis will be different so be prepared to make changes (but they might still work fine too, I don't know for sure). Anyway, just thought I would give a heads up to the mod makers.

Thanks for the insight into the future sounds update VMan. With the variety of new sounds that you are working on, it will certainly change the feel of SB.

Final tweaking complete, and mod submitted to the DL area. Let me know if anyone experiences any problems with it. It's kinda neat to be able to distinguish between friendly fire and EN fire.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/256/p13_fileid/1577

Nice mod - THX Tacbat.

Which one of the wave sounds are Russian (e.g. smallarms2 or smallarms3, ...) ?

I like the mod Tac. Lot better IMHO from the original.

Being one of the many folks here who have had the non-pleasure of actually hearing incoming rounds I would suggest two movies that I recall having VERY accurate sounds of AK rounds coming in. "Hamburger Hill" and "Blackhawk Down". I don't know if you can sample from that or not, but you can get a taste for that peculiar "zip" that they have, if you haven't had that experience. (unfortunately a great many more folks have that shared experience anymore these days).

As for outgoing, make it as loud and confusing as possible and you'll have it down. "Ear-Ringing" would be the correct volume. :)

Sobering to read this, Blackhorse 311.

K