River crossings.

Itkovian

Salutations.

Been playing the Panzer Assault scenario, in the "single" folder. At least I think that's the name, the one where you have to create a bridgehead and you get to choose the season and tank units (I'm going with summer in Leo 2a5s), and I'm having a blast.

Mind you, commanding so many units at once is a little difficult, and I have yet to succeed, but it is very fun. Mostly the main issue has been understanding the briefing (which is mostly in german), and the conditions that would bring in the reserve.

So far I haven't managed to hold on to the bridgehead when faced with the major enemy assault, but that is due to issues with the river crossing, which brings me to my question:

What is the best way to manage a river crossing (over a bridge), using the map? I don't want to have to manually cross every unit over, but so far my attempts have resulted in many units committing suicide.

In my last attempt I got my last two Leos across the river, but most of my Marders just drove into the water, leaving the two tanks to handle a horde of enemy units. Now while commanding both tanks as they emptied their ready racks then got overwhelmed by the red tide was absolutely great (it was a slaughter, great demonstration of the strength of panzers), it is annoying to lose because my units wanted to be AmphiGavins :).

So, just what is the best way to handle a river crossing using unit commands on the map?

Thank you.

Itkovian

Each serial should be capable of crossing unsupervised. Definately avoid mixing platoons at the approach/exit from the span.

If there is enemy presence, then Smoke or the HE/Smoke mix should be fired 'near' the far side of the river to allow the attackers to cross without needing to deploy.

If there are shallows/fords then use those to get at least part of the force across, reducing the time taken to move your units, and to give a wider bridgehead. Also use any briding assets to give duplicate crossings rather than relying on a single route, but keep a generous gap between them to ease the traffic problems.

Recent offline practice suggests that the AI is quite capable of negotiating bridges using any combination, so long as there are no visible enemies, and the approaches are clear.

The safest option is column, march, close. Use 'fixed' waypoints across the crossing, placed using 'shift click' so that they attach to the road. This then allows each serial to be given a route that 'picks up' the crossing.

The same can be used for making and following a breach...

If you make the route, and then attach the units that will be using it, the route will remain on the map allowing all the other serials to use the same lane.

For bridge crossings, I use Assault tactics, with Column formation, wide spacing and slow speed. I will setup a route with these conditions over the bridge itself, that way I can send my platoons in whatever formation/speed etc, to the crossing point where they will adopt the above instructions.

Also be sure to give enough room between platoons or else they can end up getting tangled up in each other. If that happens, then quickly divide the formations down into individual vehicles and keep your fingers crossed. :)

So, basically I need to create two waypoints (one on each side of the bridge), and create a path between them with column formation and slow speed. Then I can just tell my units to proceed to the first way point, at which point they will automatically follow the previous-laid course to the other side?

What if the crossing is under fire? Should I avoid crossings under fire entirely?

Also, GH, you say I should use SHIFT-Click so they "attach to the road". Does SHIFT-Click make things attach to nearby features or some such? Never heard of that myself.

In any case, I will try it out.

Thank you.

Itkovian

Using the shift button whilst creating a route will make that route follow the line of the nearest road surface. Useful for bridge crossings!

The rule stated here is good for all obs. Once breeched then the route through should be a separate route that units can move to and join.

Column, Assault, Wide, and slow (I preffer to use fast) will ensure they get accross. Ensure that the route to the crossing is straight for a good distace to avoid units conducting aggressive turns.

Obs crossings are deliberate operations requiring a covering force (over watch), the bridgehead force (those who secure the immediate vacinity of the bridge head) and then the breakout. This does make it unit intensive and a complex coordination piece. Obstacles do present a good challenge to players though bering in mind that when obs are used by freindly forces we always attempt to ensure that they are corvered by fire and observation- keeps the enemy busy.

Food for thought.

Laying bridges is not much fun as they are vulnerable, take ages to complete task and are shot magnets. Incidently the rivers are often to wide for the bridging equipment to conduct its task so you need to pick your site using recce.

If bridges are being layed manually the you can use the double bridge technique. That is the first bridge does not breech the gap but by resting on the bank at one end and the river bed at the other provides a partial bridge. A second is then required to complete the bridge. Sadley this cannot be done by scripting computer controlled units but is a good technique if you have someone who knows what they are doing with the armoured Engineers.

Anyway food for thought?

CharlieB.

The snap-to-roads function is documented somewhere... either in your manual, or one of the anti-frustration kits or patch 'read-me's.

I use close formation and top speed for my march routes, to limit the exposure time over the bridge, and also to reduce the road length, which should reduce the tendancy for serials to mix. If possible completely obscure the crossing site or breach site and send fastest columns across first (eg LAV followed by tank rather than the other way around).

With march, of course you can specify either slow or fast which attempt to create constant speed routes for all unit types, which can allow you to cross in any order.

Also do recon for natural crossings.. these have the flexibility (due to unexpectedness) of a tactical bridge, but don't any time to prepare, and can't be knocked out.

With bridging assets, the MT55 is much harder to conceal than the Biber during emplacement, but a demonstration elsewhere can give you the few minutes it takes if carefully timed.