Bundeswehr officially received the Leopard 2A7

Retro

• Members

linkage (in german)

image_popup.jpg

Basically it's a 2A6 with a little extra (based on the experiences the Canadians gathered in Afghanistan): aux power unit, air conditioning (for the crew, not the computers :o), some kind of battlefield management system, ability to fire HE rounds out to 5000m with impact, delayed impact, airburst fuse, and better mine protection.

Germany will get 20 of these (they're down to 225 Leopards in total).

Interestingly enough no mention at all of this 'urban' stuff (dozer blade, RWS, slat cages, ERA..) the PSO variant sported..

Glad to see you are keeping the fleet up to date.

Presumably there will be some sort of 2A6 to 2A7 progressive upgrade programme to standardise the fleet?

Pfft.

Nah, be like eSim's current plethora of executables.

Mix of 2A5s, 2A6s and shiny new 2A7s for the "hotspots" of the world

• Members

I presume they will maintain a low rate of production, just enough to prevent KMW to close their production lines in Munich and Kassel, but the Bundeswehr probably isn't in a big rush to see all tanks converted ASAP. I cannot believe however that they will limit it to one company plus one platoon for the combat school. They will probably convert at least one entire battalion.

Does anybody know if KMW are working on a new tank design.

This new variant seems to be very advanced but the design of the leo-2 is now over thirty Years old, Even with the upgrades and its much enhanced capability's

The fact is both the Russians and Chinese are working on advanced Tanks.

That can match it in terms of fire control no sure about the other areas mobility and armour

Would hate to see the west losing its technological edge over none Nato affiliated country's

The new chinesse VT4 MBT 3000.

Propaganda video for the T-90MS.

Personally I would still pick the leo-2A7 over any other MBT in the world.

But I also hope the west has some new designs in the works.

• Members
Does anybody know if KMW are working on a new tank design.

Yes, I do: No, they don't.

They are a privately held company. They invest in new tank design only if it gets financed by a customer - in this case, the Bundeswehr. No, the Bundeswehr doesn't seem to think that it needs a new tank in the next ten years.

On a more strategic level, I think the Bundeswehr wants to try out the Puma under operational conditions first. It's a design with an unmanned turret. It this turns out to be feasible with today's technology both under peace-time conditions and in combat, the next MBT from Germany, if there will ever be one, will probably come without a manned turret as well.

• Members
I'm waiting for a more important announcement: "Leopard 2A7 comes to SB".

Hmm, let me think:

Basically it's a 2A6 with a little extra (based on the experiences the Canadians gathered in Afghanistan):
  1. aux power unit,
  2. air conditioning (for the crew, not the computers :o),
  3. some kind of battlefield management system,
  4. ability to fire HE rounds out to 5000m with impact, delayed impact, airburst fuse, and
  5. better mine protection.

1. What are we supposed to simulate here in SB?
  2. How are we supposed to simulate this in SB?
    Open your window.
  3. Map screen in SB.
    It's already there
  4. In SB already present in the Danish Leo 2A5A1 and 2A5A2, except for the airburst timer programming unit
  5. How would you notice that in SB?

Yes, I do: No, they don't.

They are a privately held company. They invest in new tank design only if it gets financed by a customer - in this case, the Bundeswehr. No, the Bundeswehr doesn't seem to think that it needs a new tank in the next ten years.

On a more strategic level, I think the Bundeswehr wants to try out the Puma under operational conditions first. It's a design with an unmanned turret. It this turns out to be feasible with today's technology both under peace-time conditions and in combat, the next MBT from Germany, if there will ever be one, will probably come without a manned turret as well.

Its a shame work on the leo-3 was stopped.

Its very difficult to find out any information on it

Found this web page. Have no idea if the model on the page resembles the real leo-3 prototype.

But if it does I like the turret mounted Periscope Sight and the auto cannon.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/211833/thread/1225408639/Different+tank+proto-types

A good close up view of the Chinese VT4 MBT 3000.

Hmm, let me think:

1. What are we supposed to simulate here in SB?
  2. How are we supposed to simulate this in SB?
    Open your window.
  3. Map screen in SB.
    It's already there
  4. In SB already present in the Danish Leo 2A5A1 and 2A5A2, except for the airburst timer programming unit
  5. How would you notice that in SB?

Yeah, but those are 2a5 with L44 not 2a6 with L55.

So ok, skip german Leo2A6 and go straight to leo2a7! !

The Bundeswehr has received the first upgraded Leopard 2A7s made by original manufacturer Krauss-Maffei Wegmann. Delivered on December 10, 2014, the tanks were first of a batch of 20 former Dutch Leos. KMW is also gearing up to begin production of 62 2A7s for Qatar; these tanks will be delivered next year.

The upgraded 2A7s are based on German-built 2A6s, bought by the Canadians from the Netherlands, later transferred back to Germany. This way, the Canadians could retain the 20 tanks on loan from Germany since 2007 for operations in Afghanistan. These German tanks were modified specifically for the Canadian forces and operated for 4 years in Afghanistan. When it was time to return the vehicles, Canada first opted to acquire 'surplus' Dutch tanks that would be stripped of their Dutch-specific modifications and rebuilt to German standard model. However, the Bundeswehr, along with the Canadians, decided that it would be a good opportunity to remodel these tanks into 2A7s, the most advanced of the several models in the German Army which retains 225 Leo 2s of the original 2125 produced for it since 1979.

Photos:

1. The Inspector general of the German Army, Lieutenant General Rainer Korff, receives the ‘key’ for the first of 20 Leopard 2s upgraded by KMW to the latest A7 version. The tank on the right is an A7+ with enhanced side armor for protection against IEDs and RPGs. The German tanks are built to carry the side armor but not yet equipped with it now.

Photo: KMW

2. The Leopard 2A7 received enhanced belly and side protection against IEDs, RPGs and mines, new optical systems for the commander and driver, air conditioning for the crew and an auxiliary power unit for silent watch. The ammunition types now include the DM12 multi-purpose HE (see photo 4).

Photo: KMW

3. The commander’s position inside the Leopard 2A7 showing the different displays of the fire control computer, tactical picture and thermal/electro-optical (day/night) sight.

4. Combining a shaped charge and fragmentation effect, the DM 11, a 120mm HE-MP 120mm tank round, utilises a programmable time-delay fuse to enhance performance against soft and hard targets. After loading, an electronic gadget programs the fuse to detonate at a specific point in the projectile’s flight path. The round can be timed to explode for maximum effect either above, in front of or inside a target (e.g. after penetrating a wall as shown in this picture).

Photo: Rheinmetall defence

All info: Defense Update

1.jpg.152fd2a8eb353e1e9227a42d66d58a8a.j

2.jpg.c02c40330b0a12686e29d4e9530c5054.j

3.jpg.baf79b1fc75b72cd830d3a0dc1c05daa.j

4.jpg.71d72a4c2fb983eb3e1d9ac4a4cab75d.j

1.jpg.152fd2a8eb353e1e9227a42d66d58a8a.j

2.jpg.c02c40330b0a12686e29d4e9530c5054.j

3.jpg.baf79b1fc75b72cd830d3a0dc1c05daa.j

4.jpg.71d72a4c2fb983eb3e1d9ac4a4cab75d.j