CV/90-40 + Lemur? Why not?

macieksoft

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm weird.

For us at least, he's fourth in the peeking order, not second.

9 times out of 10 the loader would have been a driver and a gunner before taking up the loaders position, and would usually be more senior with more time done. This is not set in stone though. I, for instance never gunned on CR2, although I was trained as a gunner also. I made the jump from the Regimental 2IC CR2 driver to an SHQ loader.

The TC also has separate control handle, Mission processing unit and Weapon station control panel for the CROWS system.

Ah, that's the sort of info I was after. Just curious as to how such a complex weapon might be integrated into an existing system that wasn't designed with it in mind originally. I was once involved in a similar sort of project (on a helicopter) and what looked easy to begin with turned out to be very complicated.

Somites it may be possible and might even make sense. On a typical MBT however it doesn't. The gunner is to provide eyes to the front and to operate the main weapon, period. He cannot simultaenously do that, AND use the RWS to cover the vehicle's rear, or high elevation angles.

This is the main issue here, overburdening the crew with too many tasks. pretty much everybody is busy. Where the RWS replaces some other weapon of the crew such as the loader's place, the extra workload may be small enough, and it might not absorb too much of the member's attention.

Thats why i talking about it as an option for a "special situations".

My idea: When gunner have a target in sight and he thinks that .50 cal would be perfect for this job he calls to commander and commander presses a button to slave the RWS to the gunner's primary sight, gunner presses a button to select a RWS as weapon, lases target and fires (hes using hes normal control handle). When fire is complete commander presses a button and takes back the control over RWS.

So imagine following situation. Enemy infantry 1.5 clicks ahead. Gunner see the target and its too long for COAX and he do not want to waste main gun ammo. In such situation commander would pass the controll over RWS to gunner by simply pressing the button and gunner would engage it just like he would do with COAX. Isn't it nice?

I do not mean removing possibility for independent control of RWS and main gun and i do not mean making gunner a primary RWS operator.

Commander would be primary RWS operator but when he wants to pass it to gunner he could simply press a button.

Also gunner would have limited control over RWS (he would not have additional screen nor additional handle) he would use its own handle and sight just like a COAX when the weapon would be in "SLAVED TO GPS" mode :)

It would be nice for some situations like this described above.