Voice attac

Gottel

Hello,

I just tried out voice attack (http://www.voiceattack.com).

The program uses your voice to generate a keypress to execute a command in game.

It is really cool: I say "up" (oder "hoch" in german) an the commander gets a step up, like pressing "q". Works with all other Keycommands.

Works best on my PC with keypress 0,2 and windows standard, not directx and i trained the Windows voice recognition a bit.

Has anyone else tried this?

Greetings

Gottel

:) thats true

You can activate it like teamspeak with a keypress, or (but i only did read about this and haven't tried it my self so far) the program stops, if you speak on TS

It is easy to test: the software is free for 21 days and after this its about 8$ ...

Gottel

If I remember correctly, MDF uses voice activation in SB too.

Yes, I use the built-in Windows voice recognition software. It works well, but it is not possible to create a custom profile which includes the in-game commands but excludes all the operating system commands. So (as Gibsonm suggested), for multiplayer I have programmed the Teamspeak push-to-talk keys to also issue the "sleep" command to the voice reco program, and to issue the "wake up" command when the PTT keys are released. Works pretty well, but occasionally gets out of sync.

I might try the OP's recommended software, because I would imagine that it allows you to create a configuration which recognizes only in-game commands. So, I might accidentally order my gunner to "fire" when talking on TS, but I won't send the program a "quit" or "escape" command by mistake.

I use the free program "shoot" and I love it for single-player. I couldn't play without it at this point because between it and the hotas, I have zero familiarity with the keyboard.

You can get extremely detailed with the profile ... so much so that mine's getting a bit complicated now and I'm thinking of setting up separate ones for various vehicles or vehicle types. If there were a hotkey to switch between profiles, that would be ideal.

I think shoot, VAC or any other similar app would be quite workable in multiplayer but I'd probably agree it would add an unwelcome layer of complexity at first. I'm encouraged that MDF has made it work.

With my setup I'm thinking I'd use the same hotas key, but shifted, for shoot PTT and Teamspeak -- so I'd just need to shift with my pinkie button to switch between local commands and net traffic.

I don't use voice for mundane things like changing position or views, though -- only for things crew would typically accomplish with an order. "Driver back up" "Column formation" "Fire! Fire heat!" "Identified!" etc.

I think it's great for immersion. Now if only I could look around in the 3D environment with my neck rather than my wrist. :c:

Thanks for your feedback on voice activation.

I found myself the problem of slight delay, sometimes its just ok, sometimes keypress is really faster.

I haven't tried multiplayer, i understand your points about complexity.

I will go a little bit deeper in options an tweek of the software.

Thanks for your input!

Gottel

Let me add that I have encountered one significant problem, but not sure if the issue is with SB or the MS voice activation software (and I suspect it's the former). SB doesn't recognize keypress combos (e.g., shift+arrow, alt+b) issued by the VA software. I think I tried fiddling with the delay between keypresses, but I couldn't find a solution. As a workaround, you can reassign at least some multi-key commands to available single keys in the SB keyboard config dialog (for example, I reassigned the shift+arrow commands to the NUMPAD 4-6 buttons).

I just checked it with voice attack and works with a combined keypress, checked it with alt+a for "gunner observe left" worked fine.

My problem in the moment is, that every thrid or so command is not understood correct, absolut to much ... still some room for tuning the options, but nur shure at all, if this way will ever work as quick and secure like a keypress.

I'm not sure about Voice attac, but with Shoot, I've found it more likely to misunderstand single-sylable commands than multisylable commands. (within reason). So I use "Driver stop" rather than "Halt."

But yeah, That's a drawback. It will never be as quick as hitting a key.

I use a program called GlovePie to control some acpects via voice.

I made a demo yesterday showing some of the ways I use it. You can see it here.

Edit: I see a link has already been provided. Anyway if anyone wants to use the script I use just let me know and I will send it. It works really well. I use it quite a lot in other sims and games.

I use a program called GlovePie to control some acpects via voice.

I made a demo yesterday showing some of the ways I use it. You can see it here.

Edit: I see a link has already been provided. Anyway if anyone wants to use the script I use just let me know and I will send it. It works really well. I use it quite a lot in other sims and games.

Just watched your demo.

Very impressive you could upload it to the SB download manager.

Mite give the program a try.