Open House training session - 17 January 2015 @ 2100GMT

Gibsonm

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry to have missed this, will the AAR be uploaded?

I'm afraid there isn't one.

It was mainly talk and Q&A.

There is a plan file attached to a previous post which some people wanted to develop into a mission as part of "COA [course of action] Development".

There is also some interest in meeting again to discuss various people's solutions and see how they go "COA Analysis".

Then we might merge parts from various COA to develop "the" plan.

There will be AARs from this as reviewing the AAR is the key way in which Steel Beasts helps us workout what went wrong and how to improve/modify the plan.

Had my first play through of our lesson scenario last night, trying my best to apply said lessons. It went reasonably well, although I still tended to hang around longer than common sense would dictate :) Less long than previously, though, so something sunk in.

I also did a fairly good job of having rear units covering the withdrawals of forward units, something I often forget about. Tonight I will sit down and review the AAR in some detail. On this run, I used a split riverbank strategy, with one platoon of tanks and one Javelin team on each side of the river. I also split the CSS units up and pushed repair and supply across the river, leaving the others behind. This seemed pretty effective and Red got nowhere near the Objective, though I did take a rather large number of losses. That was probably attributable to hanging around too long and having a few too many units to keep track of singlehandedly.

All in all, a big improvement! After reviewing the AAR, I will try again with all units to the West of the river, then to the East of the river.

This seemed pretty effective and Red got nowhere near the Objective, though I did take a rather large number of losses.

And, when you're feeling really comfortable with the 'Soviet' version of the scenario, try your hand at the 'Contemporary' one, but only if you're open to your Delay descending into a "Rout"! :1:

[ATTACH]13527[/ATTACH]

My initial set up.

[ATTACH]13528[/ATTACH]

Main body otw.

[ATTACH]13529[/ATTACH]

2 disabled tanks left behind. With some ICM to aid them, they did not go down easy.

[ATTACH]13530[/ATTACH]

End state.

[ATTACH]13526[/ATTACH]

Score.

I was not able to recover the 2 disabled tanks on the east bank, mostly due to having hands full.

SS_05_21_18.jpg.440f02759afb7a0f7ccaf471

SS_05_23_38.jpg.a5b19ba09e144e02dd4cc5e9

SS_05_25_41.jpg.f6ada0a95e8047c908eb0709

SS_05_26_55.jpg.104eab4fcc48a2b19d595d5d

SS_05_27_11.jpg.e2fb3a4dc5991068cead90ab

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone want to re convene to discuss other possible solutions?

I think the weekends 28Feb-01Mar and 7-8Mar are free (don't want to clash with either TGIF, nor the Finnish Campaign though).

Fri and Sat ni GMT (or GMT+1) are OK with me.

Sun ni GMT is no good as I'll be at work since its Monday morning for me.

I also have some additional topics in mind if we want to progress this.

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry.

Yes I think its worthwhile but was trying to gauge interest.

In terms of playing the mission out to see if your plan worked or not that would probably need five or six people to fill the roles and I don't think (based on these posts) sufficient interest, numbers wise, to do that.

Of course you'd all have to have a shot to see how Plan X went compared to Plan Y and each would probably occupy a session.

So I think going forward it might be better to pick a topic/ scenario and work through it and let you "self evaluate" your resulting plans?