Thinking about returning after many years...

Bahger

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away, I was very active in the SB community. I do not think any of you will remember me although Ssnake just might. Back in the days long before the first military contracts, I bought the game in its first incarnation and set about making dozens of scenarios in what was, and probably still is, the best mission editor in 3-D wargaming for the PC. I am proud that a few of these were published in a special edition version of the game and I even collaborated with the devs to tweak the already fine system of trigger and event logic.

Anyway, the game fell off my computer many computers ago. I bought a copy of Pro PE about five years ago now but am absolutely convinced that I will not be able to locate either the CDs or the dongle. I am thinking of buying it yet again (a bit extravagant, I know, but it's all in a good cause). However, before doing so, I really need to get up to speed with a few practical matters. If some of you could chime in with answers to any of these questions I would be extremely grateful and offer my thanks in advance. So, in no particular order and with apologies for the length:

- How easy is it to integrate a HOTAS? What are the favoured control schemes, joy/KB, or joy/throttle? I have a CH setup, also a G27 racing wheel and pedals that I do not expect to use. If anyone else uses a CH HOTAS, do you map it in-game or with its native CM software?

- How will the game look in 1200 x 1920?

- No Steam integration, I presume (not a deal-breaker, this)

- Is the recent version of Pro PE (3.023) integrated with the new purchase download I will be getting, or does it have to be patched in?

- How are updates handled? Is it essentially manual, i.e. downloading, unzipping and installing files, or are there good installers? I've noticed the use of torrenting; I am very leery of this, security-wise, and uninstalled my torrent client because it was a malware portal.

- What theaters are featured these days?

- How does multiplayer connectivity work? Lobbies? Dedicated servers? Is there PvP and coop vs AI?

I think that's about it. Again apologies for the long post and thanks for any assistance you can offer.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welome back :)

no steam integration,

lot more playable vehicles, including t-72M4,

I think it looks great in 1200 -1920 (matter of opinion tho but im sure lot will agree)

still lobbies, and can do multiplayer head to head or coop, depending on scenario.

the latest purchase should come with updated to 3.23 but will have to ask ssnake for sure but im sure it does.

updates are done with self installer, no torrent needed.

as far as hotas, ill leave that to someone else as I use mouse now.

Also if you wait a day or so (subject to last minute slippage) you'll probably be getting 3.025.

The installer includes "sub installers" for both Code Meter and DirectX so its pretty much a one click operation these days.

MP is "as required". So people arrange and publish dates/times for MP events.

There is no server running 24/7 where you login and get put in the next mission.

I think I've got a profile through the CH manager so SB recognizes both control as just one, then within the SB controls menu, I assign the buttons to the commands that I want to use.

Could you possibly send that my way? I am hopeless at CM programming.

Well unless you want to buy a physical DVD, the the license is for 3.0xx and the actual software you license with it can vary (as long as its 3.0xx).

So once you buy the license you can use it on any 3.x version your download.

3.025 is now available so the process would be to buy/upgrade the license, download the software (as I say the latest is 3.025) and use the license with it.

If you do want a DVD you'll probably have to wait until they press some more DVDs.

• Members
Well unless you want to buy a physical DVD, the the license is for 3.x and the actual software you license with it can vary (as long as its 3.x).

Ahem. 3.0xx it is. We don't intend to repeat wild version jumps. 2016 will probably see the release of SB Pro PE 3.2 or 3.3, which may not sound particularly dramatic, but it will be a major step forward.

That much I can already say. :)

Either. You can get a time limited license which costs US$39.50 a year (and smaller amounts for shorter times) but is tied to one particular computer and is stored locally, which means it's more vulnerable to being lost due to computer troubles than, for comparison, Steam, where the license is stored remotely.

Or you can get the dongle and have the "unlimited" license which doesn't expire and works on any computer, and can be shared on your network so you can run SB on other computers without having to shuffle the dongle around. You'll still have to buy the upgrade versions for SB when the next paid upgrade comes out, but they're typically $40, so in theory it works out to be the same cost over time, other than the initial expense of the dongle.

I would recommend going with the dongle if you can afford it.

Good Lord, it's a miracle, I just found my SB PE dongle and DVD!! This is huge and will save me a welcome amount of cash but please could someone advise:

- The dongle is silver, about 3" long and has "Wibu Systems" and "Code Meter" inscribed on it, right?

- The DVD is dated c. 2006 (but must have been bought several years after this, maybe 2010 or thereabouts) and labelled for Win XP/2000. Will it install successfully on my Win 8.1 system? If not, what can I do?

- If eSim has a record of the transaction, might I still be able to access download files, thus not having to install from the DVD?

- Will there be an installer to update the DVD install to 3.025 (once I have bought the update license, of course) or will this involve a succession of downloads (I want to avoid torrenting).

Thank you very much for your help so far in getting me up to speed with reinstalling this superb sim.

- The dongle is silver, about 3" long and has "Wibu Systems" and "Code Meter" inscribed on it, right?

Well yes but it may belong to another piece of software that uses the same copy protection system. If its the only dongle you have ever owned then is a fair chance its for Steel Beasts.

- The DVD is dated c. 2006 (but must have been bought several years after this, maybe 2010 or thereabouts) and labelled for Win XP/2000. Will it install successfully on my Win 8.1 system? If not, what can I do?

Well arguably the DVD is irrelevant.

All it does is provide a copy of the files.

Those files can now be installed via download.

- If eSim has a record of the transaction, might I still be able to access download files, thus not having to install from the DVD?

You can download the files from here

http://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1390

The thing that matters is the license.

- Will there be an installer to update the DVD install to 3.025 (once I have bought the update license, of course) or will this involve a succession of downloads (I want to avoid torrenting).

2010 implies 2.4x or 2.5x.

You can upgrade from that direct to 3.025 for US$40

No need to get intermediate versions just grab 3.025 (which is a complete install)

Feel free to drop me a PM/ email if you have any "challenges", but in theory its a case of:

1. Download and install the software.

2. While waiting for that buy the license upgrade.

3. Install the software.

4. Double click on the link in the email you'll receive from step 2 to install the new license (need the dongle plugged in).

5. Start playing. :)

This is great, I was wondering what the right order is to accomplish this, many thanks.

Once I buy the upgrade licence, I assume I need to download more software, or does it just provide a key code to unlock something I will already have downloaded?

This is great, I was wondering what the right order is to accomplish this, many thanks.

Once I buy the upgrade licence, I assume I need to download more software, or does it just provide a key code to unlock something I will already have downloaded?

Well as mentioned previously you just need to grab 3.025 (there is no "more"):

You can download the files from here

http://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1390

The key in the email unlocks the software so depending on whether you follow the sequence I laid out (in which case "yes") or alternatively you buy the upgrade and then download in which case you need to wait until the software is downloaded and installed before you can unlock it.

You don't need the new license in order to access the software, you just need it to use the software.

Before trying to activate the license, I'd download and install SB 3.025, which you can do just fine without the license, you just won't be able to run the sim. You don't need to use the torrent version if you don't want to, just download all five parts from here: http://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1390 and run the first.

It will also install the correct version of DirectX and the Codemeter software. After it has installed everything you'll want to reboot and then plug your dongle in, if it wasn't already, and follow the instructions here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19638 to update the firmware on the dongle. After that, just follow the instructions in the email you were sent with the license info to activate it.

Further reinforcing the suggested sequence in post 20 above. :)

I am doing exactly as you recommend, Gibsonm, thanks again. I am hoping that when I install from the executable, I will have the option to do so to my E:\ drive and not default to my boot drive, C:\