3.025 is up

Gibsonm

• Moderators
Thanks for the hotfix! :luxhello: I'm enjoying it now.

Well, I should not have used the term "hotfix". The idea behind such a comment was that we were going to put out a quick EXE fix for the Player If... bug, but then that quickly turned into all sorts of other fixes and resource file changes. So it quickly morphed into a full blown update.

Just sayin'. :biggrin:

The idea behind such a comment was that we were going to put out a quick EXE fix for the Player If... bug, but then that quickly turned into all sorts of other fixes and resource file changes. So it quickly morphed into a full blown update.

Just sayin'. :biggrin:

The issue now of course is expectation management.

People are probably happy that a specific "hotfix" can be rolled out quickly.

Telling people its something else, yet still getting it out quickly may well lift expectations that the current cycle of "updates" will now be compressed into a shorter period of time and that therefore they might expect far more updates to come out between paid releases. :)

• Moderators
The issue now of course is expectation management.

People are probably happy that a specific "hotfix" can be rolled out quickly.

Telling people its something else, yet still getting it out quickly may well lift expectations that the current cycle of "updates" will now be compressed into a shorter period of time and that therefore they might expect far more updates to come out between paid releases. :)

Well, I didn't think it was "quick" (or at least it didn't feel like it). :o

What are the chances of getting just update or quick patch - im really not in he mood to grab again 2.5 GB via wireless along with installing, uninstalling, clients, voice commands and everything i already had set so recently from scratch for 3.023)

And out of pure curiosity, why it was decided to go with full release only , not patch?

What are the chances of getting just update or quick patch - im really not in he mood to grab again 2.5 GB via wireless along with installing, uninstalling, clients, voice commands and everything i already had set so recently from scratch for 3.023)

And out of pure curiosity, why it was decided to go with full release only , not patch?

You don't have to uninstall 3.023 to install 3.025, it'll install over it.

• Members

Apparently creating installers for a partial update is a major pain, or so I'm told. We briefly considered a simple ZIP archive that would overwrite some of the content in the program files folder, but that's a really messy and error-prone way of providing software updates. It just replaces the problem of a larger download (only a problem for some) with a massive increase in demand for tech support when things go wrong (and they will, it's not a question of "if").

Also, it's impossible to control where such ZIP files end up years later, so they become a tech support liability for the ages. Up until about 2007/8 I still received support requests for the demo version of the original Steel Beasts that we released in late spring 1999. Never again.