Weapons effects

Captain_Colossus

This is all quite preliminary, I've spent a few hours tweaking the effects and they still look a bit like washed out bitmaps.

I made the tracer and missile images look more vibrant (it looks better in motion):

SS_21_02_20_zpsdffczsf1.jpg

SS_22_59_42_zpsrnxkwzlr.jpg

Experimenting with larger explosions and making them look as though they throw out glowing particles, it's difficult to capture because of the speed of the animation:

SS_00_57_23_zpslgg8rixa.jpg

SS_00_57_22_zpsmv8bxbcv.jpg

SS_00_56_42_zpsx4gcmiae.jpg

SS_00_48_40_zpslizvcszl.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll keep expectations low then- it looks similar to the artillery dirt spray graphics, since it's not a true particle system but must be done within the confines of 12 frames of animation. Nothing anyone can do about that, so it may not track as smooth as one would like.

I can tweak it either so that the 'particles' don't burst out as far but track smoother, or they expand out further but probably look a little more choppy when they travel. The bad news is that I've spent hours just to get it to this state, the good news is that I could probably spend considerable time to experiment to make it look better- I've not exhausted the possibilities, it's just time consuming.

Issues: I don't know exactly where the borders are for each frame of animation, so any part of the graphic that comes near the invisible edges will experience clipping or wrap around and not map correctly to the next frame. This is a fixable issue, though.

Not so fixable is that it tends to look better at longer range than close range- viewed close up, it doesn't look bad, but it does look more washed out and not as clear. Nothing I can do about that, it's the way the system works.

Still, there's a lot more that probably can be done if I wanted to spend more time on it. There are two sets of explosions the program indexes, this is only one set. It may be however that the effect might look overdone if I amp up the other set as well, but I'll see how that goes...

I'm almost done with these, at least insofar that I've spent too long on it already, given up two weekends, which I wouldn't have done except I've been under the weather.

At the very least, the tracer effects are sharper.

The animations will also include the thermal textures, I'm trying to find an errant pixel that shows up in the animation that doesn't appear in the daysight channel- which is odd, both sets of images are exactly the same except one is grayscale.

I've tightened up the animation so that it doesn't explode and send the little glowing splinters as far, but it animates a bit smoother (still, only have 12 frames of animation, so don't expect too much).

But I can say they are brighter and sharper and more colorful now, it affects everything from ammunition explosions to hits on vehicle and terrain surfaces and ICM bursts. An interesting effect I noticed when using HE auto cannon rounds against tanks and PCs.

When I upload them in a few days, someone can make a video if they'd like.

• 4 weeks later...

Yo. Hi y'all.

I know this thread is more than 10 years old(!), but I want to download the Weapons FX mod very much. And I can't seem to find it anywhere in the SB Pro PE mods downloads. I tried searching with the title "FX" but nothing like it (weapons effects fx etc.) turns up in the search.

So where can I download this mod from? And is there one for SB Pro PE 3.025?

:c:

SB Junkie

Frankie Kam

Yo. Hi y'all.

I know this thread is more than 10 years old(!), but I want to download the Weapons FX mod very much. And I can't seem to find it anywhere in the SB Pro PE mods downloads. I tried searching with the title "FX" but nothing like it (weapons effects fx etc.) turns up in the search.

So where can I download this mod from? And is there one for SB Pro PE 3.025?

:c:

SB Junkie

Frankie Kam

Well it only dates from 23 Feb this year so unsure where the 10 yrs old bit comes from.

As to where - maybe ask "Captain_Colossus" since its his?

Given that its just over a month old, I'm sure it will work with 3.025.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I am still experimenting with this. The animations are shared across multiple effects- from autocannon rounds to artillery explosions. What might look good in one area might look less so in another, so I wanted to make sure I had a good compromise for all occasions before calling it finished.

Next thing you'll say that a single fragmentation grenade can't blow an anetire house to pieces with a huge fireball.

I saw it on TV. It must be true.

I remember situation in one arcade game. I told some player that hes glitching when he was serving heavy damages to tank using hand grenades. It turned out that he was admin of server and when i told him that IRL frag grenade cannot penetrate armor of tank he could not believe this and he banned me :D

Those all arcade games "pro" players always hate SP PRO PE players... Its hard to be SB PRO PE player when nobody understands what the f*** are you talking about. There is no things like calling thermal vision "xray" and calling elevators of F/A-18 "flaps" :gun: :c:

Yes, those movies really turning people brains into *****... Arcade games are even worse, they are fun but for some ppl they are woodpeckers that eating their brains.

And yes, the diesel fuel is hard to ignite, IIRC it not only needs certain temperature but also pressure. Also diesel fuel is not likely to generate flammable vapors like gasoline.

Gasoline is quite different, its vapors are highly flammable, but there must be a correct fuel air mixture so if you shoot gas tank it will rather not explode because in most cases there is not enough oxygen inside. Its like shooting a hydrogen zeppelin with gun. In WW1 they used special ammo and tactics to allow oxygen to get into zeppelin and mix with hydrogen then finally ignite the mixture.

And yes, the diesel fuel is hard to ignite, IIRC it not only needs certain temperature but also pressure. Also diesel fuel is not likely to generate flammable vapors like gasoline.

Flash Point of diesel does in fact produce vapors.

Diesel fuel flash points vary between 52 and 96 °C (126 and 205 °F).

I believe a 4-7% oxygen level is needed also.

Flash Point of diesel does in fact produce vapors.

Diesel fuel flash points vary between 52 and 96 °C (126 and 205 °F).

I believe a 4-7% oxygen level is needed also.

Diesel doesn't explode like petrol and the lighter viscosity hydraulic oils, but it does still burn when a match is applied.