Troop transport, dismount, patrol, mount, leave... [SOLVED]

Ingolf

Well, that title didn't say much did it?

This is the question in more detail: How do I make a mechanized patrol stop, dismount, leave the vehicle on foot for a short (or long) patrol in the area, and then return back to mount and carry on with the vehicle? The vehicle must sit still where they stopped.

I've tried several logics, but do not seem to get it entirely right. Have to "kill" the vehicle temporarily so that it does not follow the troops on foot. However when returning I cannot "revive" it, and in some cases the troops refuse to mount back and continue along the road. There must be a trick that does it, I'm sure, but don't know at what lengths I need to go.

Anyone has a simple solution that I've overlooked?

Will keep trying a few ideas tonight,

cheers,

Ingolf

Edited by Ingolf

Try using "embark if ..."

APC/IFV moves to waypoint and adopts say a "hold" or "stay" tactic.

Select "Troops dismount"

Then have routes for the dismounts starting from the waypoint with "embark if ..." and using the dismounts call signs.

They then go on their patrol and presumably the route ends up back at the vehicle (or the vehicle can move to a collection RV).

Then setup "Troops mount if ..." with some condition that you determine.

Then the vehicle embarks on the next route with either the "is carrying troops" or some other condition satisfied.

Thanks Gibsonm,

I've tried several combinations of "Embark if...", "Troops dismount/mount if ...", "is/is not carrying troops" and some "Events" to control the flow. It is not easy to describe all the combinations I've tried (well, all the logical ones, to me :bigsmile:) in short, but so far I have not experimented with the "hold/stay" logic. Will try that as you suggested and see what I can do.

Perhaps, if there is no obvious shortcut that I should know of, I'll post in more detail the attempts that I've tried in a little while. The problem seems to be getting the troops back on a "killed/still" vehicle and make it assume a route. Had some ideas about delaying some logical checks, but I basically need to know if that is really required.

If somebody has a recepie already, I'd be glad to hear more about it.

Well the above is the recipe I use.

Stay/hold is just to satisfy your need for the vehicle to remain still, it doesn't apply to the dismounts.

Yes, it takes some adjustment in terms of delays (e.g. you need to ensure everybody is back on board before the "is carrying troops" is evaluated and the vehicle moves off).

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to follow up on this now that I finally got it to work. :D

Now that I have the logic in place it's quite logical. The mistake I kept doing was placing the "Embark if.." and "Mount if..." on the wrong nodes (troop waypoints etc.). It is the vehicle that gets mounted, not the troops, lol. Also, I kept missing the option "This unit is XXX" - so I couldn't embark the dismounted troops on the intended side-route.

Thanks again for your tips, Gibsonm, I now have it!

Edited by Ingolf

On 2016-09-08 at 11:11 PM, Splash said:

Truer words were never spoken.

haha, dont underestimate the illogics of logic... :D

If anybody is interested, I created a quick reference guide (for dummies like myself).

tp_sidemission.jpg

Also, Volcano posted similar solutions in a demo download in the tutorials section (thanks Volcano).

Edited by Ingolf