Maj.Hans

"Export" T-72s in Soviet service?

I've used the T-72M1 as a substitute T-72A in some scenarios, and the T-72M as a substitute T-72 Ural, but my question is did the Soviet/Russian army ever operate any of the Export versions of the T-72, like the M, M1, or S, or only the "non export" versions?

the T-72M is essentially the T-72 "ural", with various minor modifications, such as not being built with the blanked off coincidence rangefinder port.

the T-72M1 would be equal to a T-72A ca. 1979,

although the later T-72A received a bunch of modifications, such as new gun, new radios, extra anti-radiation lining on the roof, FCS upgrades, and night sight upgrades.

there's also the T-72AV with reactive armour.

Isn't the armor on the T-72M1 thinner than the T-72A armor?

To be more specific, what I mean is would the Soviet/Russian army have ever used an actual 'downgraded' T-72M1 or T-72S instead of a non export T-72A or B?

there shouldn't be anything downgraded on the T-72M1, but there's rumours that

some of the non-russian countries didn't follow the higher standards of the russian vehicles, and didn't fill the cavities in the T-72M1, and instead left them hollow.

but other than that, the export T-72M1 should be equal to a soviet T-72A circa 1979.

but past that point, most T-72A were upgraded with the things mentioned,

and by 1985 were probably upgraded to T-72AV standard, or sold off.

so if you want to simulate a soviet 1979 scenario, T-72M1 is an adequate substitute.