The kid's done good.

Hedgehog

Hmm.

The kid's (USN) done good.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3006792/100-000-tons-U-S-firepower-big-dock-Portsmouth-Aircraft-carrier-USS-Theodore-Roosevelt-anchors-Hampshire-coast-arriving-UK-five-day-visit.html

I wonder where they get the money from?

(And can we borrow one?)

It would be nice if we (the UK) didn't have to rely on America to fight our battles. (I think they'd appreciate it as well.)

I'm still peeved we have a halfway house "carrier".

Hmm.

The kid's (USN) done good.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3006792/100-000-tons-U-S-firepower-big-dock-Portsmouth-Aircraft-carrier-USS-Theodore-Roosevelt-anchors-Hampshire-coast-arriving-UK-five-day-visit.html

I wonder where they get the money from?

(And can we borrow one?) .

It would be nice if we (the UK) didn't have to rely on America to fight our battles. (I think they'd appreciate it as well.)

I'm still peeved we have a halfway house "carrier".

Time to lock up your daughters.

What's the old saying hedge, over paid over sexed and over here. Lol

In early 2000 a USN Aircraft carrier made a visit to Ireland.

They held a display near Dublin airport F-18 plus various other aircraft

Great day out very friendly guys.

Had to laugh though some of the USN guys must of been republican's.

They were flogging flash badges.

I remember thinking how the hell would a small nation defend its self against such a

Magnificent ship. In saying that there's a video available on YouTube showing a diesel Powered Aussie submarine taking on a USN aircraft carrier on exercise and getting close Enough to fire its torpedoes.

The USS Theodore Roosevelt was built in the early '80s by the Newport News Shipbuilding Co., a stone's throw from where I live. I was about six when she was launched.

I found the one caption humorous:

It is excellent to see US Navy carrier steel in Portsmouth. -Admiral Sir George Zambellas

Portsmouth is only 17 km from Newport News. :men_ani:

I think the next step should be the "Joint Mobile Offshore Base". We fix the problem of regular airfields being static and vulnerable and regular carriers being too small to host conventional takeoff craft by making carriers too big to sink by conventional means.

battleisland.jpg

mob-flex_b_full.jpg

Put a bunch of MIM-104 Patriot batteries on board and have it flanked by Flight III DDGs and a bird doesn't take a crap in its airspace without a say so. :gun:

I think the next step should be the "Joint Mobile Offshore Base". We fix the problem of regular airfields being static and vulnerable and regular carriers being too small to host conventional takeoff craft by making carriers too big to sink by conventional means.

Old news.

Churchill was going to make these during the Second World War.

Do a search for "Project Habakkuk" or "pykrete".

Sort of.

pykrete is made from wood shavings and water.

You freeze it in blocks and use it as the construction material to assemble the ship.

Its bouyant, fire proof, absorbs blast, cheap, ... dare I say "unsinkable".

The plan was to have floating air bases to provide air protection to convoys and even bunkering and medical facilities.

These were going to be sited to cover the air gap between land based aircraft either side of the North Atlantic.

Before they could be built the newer, four engined airtcraft arrived and closed the gap.

Unit Cost: About $4.5 billion each, and this is not including the food, ammo,planes, fuel etc. And one wounders why the USA is going broke.

I would hope that our goverment does not go down this path with the issues to be solved in our country. To me a total waste of taxes given the number allready in the water. When does a country ( a superpower) have enough carriers? 20, 50, 100?:c::c:

Well I guess there is ISS to deal with, and this is a good option:wink2:

Unit Cost: About $4.5 billion each, and this is not including the food, ammo,planes, fuel etc. And one wounders why the USA is going broke.

I would hope that our goverment does not go down this path with the issues to be solved in our country. To me a total waste of taxes given the number allready in the water. When does a country ( a superpower) have enough carriers? 20, 50, 100?:c::c:

Well I guess there is ISS to deal with, and this is a good option:wink2:

I would agree with most of your comments Alfa.

If I were a US tax payer I would be asking questions about where my taxes were going and Why. but on the other side of the coin. Who would stop none democratic aggressive nations from imposing there doctrine, on the free world.

Also the sad truth is the military industrial complex provides a lot of jobs world wide.

I would agree with most of your comments Alfa.

If I were a US tax payer I would be asking questions about where my taxes were going and Why. but on the other side of the coin. Who would stop none democratic aggressive nations from imposing there doctrine, on the free world.

Also the sad truth is the military industrial complex provides a lot of jobs world wide.

That same industrial complex could be building electric cars, afforadable homes, etc, I dont buy that argument along with most people, build what we need, not what kills other people. We done that for far to long and we are still not changing anything, time for a reset:luxhello:

That same industrial complex could be building electric cars, afforadable homes, etc, I dont buy that argument along with most people, build what we need, not what kills other people. We done that for far to long and we are still not changing anything, time for a reset:luxhello:

Could not agree more alfa, World poverty could be eliminated very quickly

But the reality is it will not happen any time soon.

Most western nations never seen the so called peace dividend when the Soviet Union collapsed. to many vested interest had to much to loose

So what are you going to use when those aggressive nations come looking to take your electric cars, homes, etc?

Well we here in NA have a history of them not doing that, in fact we are the ones being "aggressive nations".:wink2:

And we allready have more than enough arms to defend ourselves from nations coming arcoss the the big waters (if they can:confused:) , we could put a hold on the billions for a few years, and still defend ourselves, I would think.:luxhello:

Unit Cost: About $4.5 billion each, and this is not including the food, ammo,planes, fuel etc. And one wounders why the USA is going broke. [...] When does a country ( a superpower) have enough carriers? 20, 50, 100?:c::c:

Well...

As of December 2014, the shipyard was building the aircraft carriers USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) and the USS John F. Kennedy (CVN 79).

:Sailor:

It looks like a Star Destroyer floated in...

Pretty much :)

Well we here in NA have a history of them not doing that, in fact we are the ones being "aggressive nations".:wink2:

And we allready have more than enough arms to defend ourselves from nations coming arcoss the the big waters (if they can:confused:) , we could put a hold on the billions for a few years, and still defend ourselves, I would think.:luxhello:

You willing to take a pay cut then?

As in $0.00pa

It all comes out of the same pot.

That's why we in the UK have these fantastic new half arsed "Carriers" and only 80,000 people left to defend the place.

The armed forces haven't been this small since Napoleonic times.

It took me like 2 seconds to find this 12alfa:

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/budget_pie_gs.php

Look at this one?

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/pensions_spending

Only 4 of 28 NATO members are spending the 2% of GDP on their military's as they promised. And yet most of them still have large national debts. Strange, spending less than 2% on defense, and still going bankrupt...

J6XP2Rh_zpsf3pkgjmc.png

O Canada! Spends 1% on defense, and still has this for debt:

$619,674,167,665.25 CDN

http://www.davemanuel.com/canada-debt-clock.php

Help 12alfa!!! I don't understand this!!!

Your missing my point!:icon_frown:

Stop spending on things that kill, and on things that help people. Nothing to do with debt.:c:

What a country spends what on defence is not the point, rather why they spend it on. What most people would rather see taxes go to helping mankind, and not destroying it.:luxhello:

Killing each other at the tune of 4 billion per ship is no end state, just more of the same.:c:

How long do we need to repeat this lesson? :confused: Make love not war will be my last comment before this gets locked again:luxhello:

@RogueSnake79

Interesting source you bring up. I wouldn't give this guy too much credibility though. If you are going to use him for your understanding of the numbers, I first recommend this book, I think it will help. It has stood the test of time.

How To Lie with Statistics

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728

Remember numbers are like people, torture them enough and they will tell you anything.