About " Scan Arc" Command

BigBadVuk

While playing many scenarios i often issue "Scan forward, scan left...etc." commands to AI gunner. It is convenient way of keeping turret face towards problematic arc, and it helps keeping additional pair of AI eyes monitoring certain direction.

However there is a slight problem -dating back from Sb1: Gunner will simply align turret towards respective bearing and it will not " scan". Instead, he will point gun at 1 direction and that is that. If something is out of his FOV he will not detect that.

So my question is : what are the chances to make Ai gunner actually scan lets say 10-20 degrees left and right from the actual axis when issued this command - like he starts scanning when vehicle is under fire? Not just pointing his sights in one direction and keeping it there for a while before starting normal sweep.

Is this even realistic behavior ( idea to make Ai gunner start scanning) or gunner will in RL also keep turret at 000 bearing and that is that?

Is this even realistic behavior ( idea to make Ai gunner start scanning) or gunner will in RL also keep turret at 000 bearing and that is that?

Well in RL you'd tell the gunner in your crew brief "scan from 10 to 2" (based on the axis of the hull) or similar.

Usually though if that's the high threat area (that's why you have the Gunner covering it) you'd also have the hull aligned that way anyway so your best armour profile is facing that way.

It would seem a bit weird to me to have the Gunner scanning say "8 to 10" as that then means your side armour is orientated that way.

• Members
However there is a slight problem -dating back from Sb1: Gunner will simply align turret towards respective bearing and it will not " scan". Instead, he will point gun at 1 direction and that is that. If something is out of his FOV he will not detect that.

Yes, and we're not happy about that. Hopefully it can be addressed with the next update.

@gibsonm - Of course, however there are some odd situations when you cant do that. For example situation from last night:

I was driving down the road with high terrain on both sides - at 10 and at 3 o clock. Only turret was visible above that.

SO i was looking forward, and i ordered gunner to cover left side, however i was not happy how did he covered that side - only small sector was covered.. Im talking about this situations where you need to keep eye on 2nd axis of threat or , simply to look where are you driving :)

@ SSnake - Awesome news!:luxhello: