Travelling Overwatch

Haferja

Well you aren't covering the entire 5km or so of frontage.

Pick a route and use it there.

If say you use the central clearing (follow the road and then the valley) you can use the bounds to leapfrog one group past another, with each group in turn covering the advance of the other.

How big is your "platoon" - 3 or 4 tanks?

If four then use two pairs of two.

If three then a single vehicle in one group and the pair in the other.

Of course the valley is also a likely approach and good engagement area from the enemy's perspective. :)

A whole bunch of other issues need to be considered but you didn't tell us:

- Is it day or night?

- Do you have supporting infantry?

- Is speed vital (i.e. can you accept risk/lack of security for speed)?

- What is the weather like?

- What is the enemy threat?

Thank you,

but i thought with travelling overwatch i should use the heights to cover the advancing tank pair (i'm commanding a platoon of 4 tanks).

And on this map the heights are covered with trees. Fine for infantry but not for tanks (the LOS is bad for both).

I have no other idea to follow the valley and move with two sections (2 tanks each)...

But then i'm a good target for enemy ambush positions.. hm..

Well then you need to know the answers to my earlier questions about:

- speed (security vs risk) and

- the enemy

and adjust your plan accordingly.

The high ground is useless if it takes an hour to climb up and you can see nothing from it.

Often all you need are folds in the ground to create a bound - it doesn't need to be a mountain. :)

There are no cookie cutter template, one size fits all, solutions for this stuff, you need to use all the information you have and the guiding principles and come up with a suitable plan to suit your unique requirements.

Who said you had to use bounding overwatch anyway? Is that some sort of scenario requirement?

The high ground is useless if it takes an hour to climb up and you can see nothing from it.

Thank you for this point!

Who said you had to use bounding overwatch anyway? Is that some sort of scenario requirement?

Well, i forgot to mention that i'm playing a tutorial scenario called "Camp Hornfeld tactical movement" which recommends the travelling overwatch technique".. ;-)

But i got your point and appreciate it! Thank you!

Well, since you're "traveling" rather than "bounding" there are a couple of techniques you can employ. As Gib pointed out, speed is the critical factor here; if you need to move quickly you could assume a "v" formation with open spacing and hop from one inter-visibility line to another. On the other hand if security is more important, divide your platoon and move in two sections with bravo in the lead and alpha (your section) trailing up to 500m behind based off of alpha's ability to observe bravo's flanks and front. In both cases you maintain continuous movement while providing a semblance of security, but the latter technique allows for a faster transition to bounding overwatch if you make contact.

Hi Haferja,

This is from the same scenario I run through the other night actually. I think this may show what has been suggested about using the folds in the ground.

In the first image you see a hull down position which faces west across that open expanse after line Bert. The second image is from the enemy viewpoint, which I had identified scouting across the low ground at the entry to the area. The third shot is the same viewpoint but zoomed up to show the turrets from the first picture position and the second group of M1 bounding across the channel in the expanse area to the next cover position. As at time the main enemy position is occupied with those two turrets. I am beginner too, so not sure if this is a good example of travelling overwatch, but I did complete the mission. I did the same as you the first time and tried the hills.

SS_03_02_38.png.66c6365dcda5337a44bd51f8

SS_03_40_07.png.9805f731aa43074147cfeb33

SS_03_41_36.png.1855324fd5a5a4540f0bea5b

SS_03_02_38.png.66c6365dcda5337a44bd51f8

SS_03_40_07.png.9805f731aa43074147cfeb33

SS_03_41_36.png.1855324fd5a5a4540f0bea5b

• 2 weeks later...