Scenario suggestions

Kingtiger

Disclaimer: In Aust / commonwealth service.

No not a unique prefix (as that is normally an arms indicator).

So any Engineer unit in a mixed environment would usually have "E" in front of its normal call sign.

LOs are often the "E" call sign though (i.e. suffix).

So 10E would be the LO vehicle from A Sqn. 19E would be the "person".

An Engineer LO vehicle (in a mixed environment) might well be E10E.

An Infantry LO vehicle (in a mixed environment) might well be I10E.

Both though in a pure environment (just a force of Engineers or just infantry) would be 10E. Being the A Sqn or A Coy LO vehicle respectively.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: In Aust / commonwealth service.

No not a unique prefix (as that is normally an arms indicator).

So any Engineer unit in a mixed environment would usually have "E" in front of its normal call sign.

LOs are often the "E" call sign though (i.e. suffix).

So 10E would be the LO vehicle from A Sqn. 19E would be the "person".

An Engineer LO vehicle (in a mixed environment) might well be E10E.

An Infantry LO vehicle (in a mixed environment) might well be I10E.

Both though in a pure environment (just a force of Engineers or just infantry) would be 10E. Being the A Sqn or A Coy LO vehicle respectively.

Rgr thanks.

/KT

There's nothing wrong with that! Not all get to enjoy that luxury.
It's a luxury until you get it. Then it's just a pain. :(

I took Tacbat's comments to be more along the lines of:

“When you go Home, tell them of us and say,

For your Tomorrow, we gave our Today”

John Maxwell Edmunds, 1916

But perhaps I was reading too much into it.

#1: two platoons of US (tanks + mech) in a recon mission against a defending reinforced company of Russian equipped enemies. No time limit, 1 battery of arty for both sides, no mines, add in support for both sides.

#2: US company of tanks, mech infantry with recon in deliberate attack on a desert map against a understrength enemy force.

#3: Blue side of NATO company arriving just in time to defend Basra against an ISIS advancing force who has cut off Baghdad and threaten to take the southern border of Iraq's Persian Gulf sector.

#3: Blue side of NATO company arriving just in time to defend Basra against an ISIS advancing force who has cut off Baghdad and threaten to take the southern border of Iraq's Persian Gulf sector.

Or as a more probable scenario

Legacy equipment M60s M113s etc from gulf states.

Anyway.

Katie, how's it going?

No pressure or anything.

:)

Katie, how's it going?

No pressure or anything.

:)

Slow, been down with the cold last 3 days so haven't got much done. But I am recovering so will dig into it soon again.

But I can tell you its a son of a b*tch scenario. It sounded pretty easy and straight forward when I made my initial plan but everything has been going south since with allot of frictions turning up.

But it will be finished before my vacation ends (in 1 month!) I can promise that :)

Think its gonna be a pretty fun scenario actually, so keep on looking forward to play it ;)

/KT

Got some more work done, this time on Callsigns and the map itself plus the orders. Feedback on the order are of course welcome, if I need to change something, add more info etc etc.

/KT

Eschede%20map_zpsqabjcslz.jpg~original

The Demolition Guard 1989

Date: 25th may 1989

Time: 05:30 local time (GMT+2)

0) PRELUDE:

Visit youtube and search for a movie called "the demolition guard" and watch it to get a gist of how this scenario will play out and things to take into consideration and also to help set the mood right.

1) SITUATION:

a) Enemy:

3rd Shock Army have launched it attack west from the East German border. 245th Guards Motor Rifle Regiment (GMRR) has been identified together with 153th tank regiment (TR) to our EAST about 25km away.

The 47th Guards tank division have failed taking UELZEN, so they are most likely trying to find another way west. 245th GMRR are using BMP-2 and 153th TR has been seen with T-64B versions, so we sure are up for a fight.

Enemy Course of Action:

The Soviets are desperate for an intact bridge so expect anything in the book including civilian infiltrators to tactical air assault. But most likely COA is for the MRR to push WEST in best speed with a CRP up front and the remaining Regiment following soon after.

b) Own:

Our brigade (12th Armd Bde) are tasked with delaying Soviet forces advance until further orders.

Our Battalion (1st Royal Green Jackets [1 RGJ]) are delaying in the area of ESCHEDE - UNTERLÜSS - BAD BODENTEICH - WAHRENHOLZ with our south flank covered by 1 R IRISH RANGER.

A COY are to our east together with parts of C SQN 4 RTR delaying the enemy, C COY are to our NORTH defending the ASCHAU DAM's and further north.

We, the B COY of 1 RGJ are located WEST of ESCHEDE tasked with being demolition guard for the ESCHEDE bridge who is the only remaining standing bridge after the Royal Engineers have blown up all other bridges in the area to delay the Soviets.

c) Attachments and detachments:

i) From other units:

1 Sect of 2 Javelin AA systems (RBS70) transported in FV432 from 10 (Assaye) Air Defence Battery RA (10th AD Bty RA)

1 Trp of Engineers from 1st Field Sqn, 21st Engineer Regiment Royal Engineer in FV432. (21st Eng Reg RE)

1 Trp of Challengers from C Squadron,4th Royal Tank Regiment (C SQN 4 RTR)

ii) Attachments from Battalion's Support Company (S COY)

1 Sect of 81mm Mortar (2 tubes 49HE and 20 WP each)

1 Sect of Milan ATGM (2 FV432 with 2 Milan team each)

2 Sect of Scimitars from Battalion recce platoon. (1 sect = 2 Scimitars each).

d) Terrain & Weather:

i) Terrain is fairly flat with open farmlands patched with small forests and small villages (mainly SCHARNHORST and ENDEHOLZ) posing no threat to armoured manoeuvres.

Through the AO runs a river named ASCHAU that is between 10-30m wide running in NORTH-SOUTH direction splitting the town of ESCHEDE in one WESTERN and one EASTERN part, with the EASTERN part being the smaller one.

On the EASTERN side you find down-town, School, railway station and industrial areas. Also in NORTH-SOUTH/SOUTHWEST direction goes the one track railway between CELLE and UELZEN but it imposes no effects on us or our enemy's movement.

The road network is very good, main road is B191 who is going from NORTHEAST to SOUTHWEST through ESCHEDE and L283/K20 that runs in a WEST-EAST direction through ESCHEDE.

ii) Weather

Weather forecast is initially cloudy with a weak WEST-SOUTHWEST wind (1-3m/s) and 10-14C+ but later during the morning the clouds will disappear and temperatures will rise to 20-25C+.

Afternoon will see clouds and temperatures at 20C+ and light winds. Weather Forecast for tonight/early morning morning is rain and 15C+.

e) Civilians:

The war has taken many Germans with surprise and many are fleeing west to get away from the advancing Soviet forces. This means much civilian traffic on the roads and as the Soviets now are within artillery distance they have been firing sporadic fire missions on intersections and other roads, causing both military and civilian casualty's.

Many civilians are still in ESCHEDE and surrounding villages so you need to take them into consideration when doing your plan. Be aware of East German infiltrators who are transmitting intel to Soviet forces, we have already picked up radio transmission in the ESCHEDE area indicating we have indeed infiltrators in our AO.

Any Infiltrator found in our area are to be arrested and handed over to the German police.

2) MISSION:

B COY, 1 Royal Green Jackets are tasked with defending and prepare the bridge over ASCHAU for demolition until all friendly forces are across or enemy forces threaten to capture the bridge when it shall be destroyed by detonation. Once the bridge are blown up B COY are tasked with defending ESCHEDE in EASTERN direction, from the WEST bank until further order arrives.

B COY are also tasked with keeping L283/K20 OPEN for as long as possible, enabling friendly troops and civilians to use the road to march WEST.

3) EXECUTION:

This is up to you! But some valuable information from your attachments are as follows:

i) LIASON OFFICER from A COY (Lt Wilkinson):

Our friendly units on the eastern bank of ASCHAU is as follows:

*A COY 1 RGJ (Callsign 1-1,1-2 & 1-3)

*C COY (1) 4 RTR (Callsign 1-3 & 2-3)

When all of them have passed you are cleared to blow the bridge. Obviously disorganized or lost units can still show up and want to cross the bridge (including fleeing civilians) so do not blow up the bridge to early.

One of my soldiers will be at the bridge counting and reporting the units passing the bridge to me so we can keep a track of them.

ii) ROYAL ENGINEERS:

It will take the lads about 15min to put all the charges in place and put the bridge in state 1, ready to be blown up on your command.

5) COMMAND AND SIGNALS:

i) COMMAND:

OC will be with his track 0B over time. 2IC is X.

ii) SIGNALS:

a) Frequencies as before on VHF, OC owns the net.

b)

OC B COY = Zero-Bravo (0B)

1st Plt = One-Two (12, then 12,12A,12B & 12C)

2nd Plt = Two-Two (22)

3rd Plt = Three-Two (32)

4th Plt C SQN = Tango-Four-three (T43)

1 Sect Mortar = Mike-One-Zero (M10)

2 Sect Scimitar = Mike-two-Zero-Alpha (M20A) and Mike-Two-Zero-Bravo (M20B)

1 Trp Milan = Mike three-zero (M30)

1st Troop RE = Echo-One-Zero (E10)

1 Sect Javelin AD = Alpha-Four-Zero (A40)

6) SCENARIO DETAILS:

i) To "arrest" a Civilian infiltrator you simply kill them with MG fire. Infiltrators are dressed as civilians but have some obvious tools that make them stick out from the ordinary civilians.

ii) To blow up the bridge you need E10 (the engineer party) to stay within 100m from the bridge for 15mins where-after you will get a message saying the bridge is ready to be detonated. Once that message has been sent you can detonate the bridge by using trigger 1 "BLOW THE BRIDGE!" with a 6 sec delay.

iii) The RBS70 are replacement for Blowpipe/Javelin Ground to Air missile.

iv) M113A2 with MG3 are stand in for FV432

v) Challenger 2 are stand in for Chieftains.

vi) To stop Civilian traffic across the bridge (on the EASTERN side) use trigger "STOP ALL CIVILIAN TRAFFIC", be aware you do need to have troops on the EAST side of the bridge (within the small village directly on the east side of the bridge). This will be a permanent stop so once the civilian traffic are stopped it's permanent.

I'm not familiar with the scenario but often the idea is the leave a "lane" for friendly troops to fall back through (or at some point advance through).

Then once the obstacle is finished to close the lane with a fascam mission or similar to fill the gaps with rapidly delivered mines.

Or you leave the lane open and set up a surprise for the enemy if they decide to exploit it (i.e. have the lane form the basis for an engagement area, etc.).

Roger. Apologies for late reply - only just seen this for some reason.

I don't even remember doing that scenario. Butty then I have been making scenarios since 2002 to and from so hard to remember them all.

Rgr. I'm pretty sure I still have the scenario so I'll try and look up the name. I think it's the one MG used for his tutorial a few months ago...

I was going to ask WHEN are we going to do this but in view of 'recent developments', perhaps a better question is HOW are we going to do it.:icon_frown:

Anytime you want. I actually think this can be played as Singleplayer as well. Its gonna be a bit hard but managable. There is a natural flow when it comes to using the different units, hardest part is the first 15min when everyone needs to get to their locations and set up - but a good plan mitigates that problem.

After that the different units are used/gets in contact after each other so at any time at most 1 or 2 platoons are actually in contact, so I am positive it can be playable as SP as well.

/KT

Anytime you want. I actually think this can be played as Singleplayer as well. Its gonna be a bit hard but managable. There is a natural flow when it comes to using the different units, hardest part is the first 15min when everyone needs to get to their locations and set up - but a good plan mitigates that problem.

After that the different units are used/gets in contact after each other so at any time at most 1 or 2 platoons are actually in contact, so I am positive it can be playable as SP as well.

/KT

Perhaps we can do it tomorrow night - since you indicated you might be popping by?

Tjay you are welcome to join us. Send me a PM and I'll tell you the "how". :)

Got some more work done, this time on Callsigns and the map itself plus the orders. Feedback on the order are of course welcome, if I need to change something, add more info etc etc.

/KT

Schweet!!

[e) Civilians:

Any Infiltrator found in our area are to be arrested and handed over to the German police.

[6) SCENARIO DETAILS:

i) To "arrest" a Civilian infiltrator you simply kill them with MG fire. Infiltrators are dressed as civilians but have some obvious tools that make them stick out from the ordinary civilians.

Given this method of "arrest" and the fact the nations are at war in this scenario.

Maybe the briefing should read:

"Given that a state of war now exists between the nations of the NATO alliance and those of the WARSAW Pact.

Any positively identified WARPAC infiltrators are to be SHOT ON SIGHT."

After all you can't afford to have enemy agents running around in your rear.

(Giggity)

vi) To stop Civilian traffic across the bridge (on the EASTERN side) use trigger "STOP ALL CIVILIAN TRAFFIC", be aware you do need to have troops on the EAST side of the bridge (within the small village directly on the east side of the bridge). This will be a permanent stop so once the civilian traffic are stopped it's permanent.

Hmm, could this have a resume civilian traffic?

Or a temp halt civ traffic in addition to permanent halt?

So when a military convoy reaches the bridge civ traffic can be halted while they cross?

The scenario is far from finished, I am working on the Soviet forces now, will not be finished until tomorrow for sure.

UK forces 99% done

German Civ 95% done, I have them where I want now but they have not been tested when russians come rolling.

German Bundeswehr unit 95% done, just need to what happens when russians come rolling.

Soviets: Infiltrators are 100% done, but of the 2 other "options" I am 25% done with the first and the second isn't even started on yet.

So I have a wee bit more to do. But the scenario is playable if you want to see a demolition guard without enemy opposition :D

/KT

/KT

Well I for one would definitely want to try this out, I think TJay and Crusty would like to as well.

Maybe we could get UKA together for a one off?

Is it ready for this Sunday Katie? 19-07-2015

The scenario is far from finished, I am working on the Soviet forces now, will not be finished until tomorrow for sure.

UK forces 99% done

German Civ 95% done, I have them where I want now but they have not been tested when russians come rolling.

German Bundeswehr unit 95% done, just need to what happens when russians come rolling.

Soviets: Infiltrators are 100% done, but of the 2 other "options" I am 25% done with the first and the second isn't even started on yet.

So I have a wee bit more to do. But the scenario is playable if you want to see a demolition guard without enemy opposition :D

/KT

OPFOR Unit?

:D

njaa.... feels like you rather arrest a spy and try to get information out of him (or use him to transmite wrong info etc) then shoot them on plain sight.

regarding stopping civilian traffic. This is initially thought to be used when you gonna blow the bridge so you do not have civilians on it.

Will look into if I can get something done the way you want it, right now I just have a kind of "embark on route bridge if no units there" kinda.

I havent yet seen how civilians and army and german army units interact fully and when they are getting fired at. That gonna be interesting... (only been working on them one and one).

Schweet!!

Given this method of "arrest" and the fact the nations are at war in this scenario.

Maybe the briefing should read:

"Given that a state of war now exists between the nations of the NATO alliance and those of the WARSAW Pact.

Any positively identified WARPAC infiltrators are to be SHOT ON SIGHT."

After all you can't afford to have enemy agents running around in your rear.

(Giggity)

Hmm, could this have a resume civilian traffic?

Or a temp halt civ traffic in addition to permanent halt?

So when a military convoy reaches the bridge civ traffic can be halted while they cross?

Well one of us could play red?

We can do it that way, I can play Red, can give me valuable lessons for the scripting of the forces.

Hedge, I think I got something better for you, I can turn the sides when I am done with the scenario. All I need to do is remove AI paths and script some defence for the blue, all triggers with blowing bridge etc are already in place so you can get a OPFOR version of the scenario.

But be aware the scenario will be over pretty quick, the map ends in the east so I can not extend it so you will kind spawn outside Endeholz.

/KT

(hope it will also be SP, not just HtH)

Thx

K

It will be singleplayer/Coop. HtH we are talking about right now is just to get the scenario playable tomorrow as I haven't scripted soviet forces yet.

The Youtube prelude is not something I have done or will do, its a British army instruction movie from the 80s who was the inspiration for this scenario. :)

/KT