Armored Warfare in open beta

Deputy276

Just a heads-up, but "Armored Warfare" has the M60, M60A2, and M60A3. I never knew the M60A2 was also known as the "Starship". It's an interesting tank.

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/m60a2.htm

If you want a "lighter" sim than Steel Beasts, Armored Warfare may fill the bill. Much better than World of Tanks, and the developers are doing their best to keep it as realistic as possible. From their website:

"Realism and historic accuracy is something we are extremely passionate about, and it's important to us to do these incredible machines justice. Obsidian Entertainment is working incredibly hard to be as accurate as possible with its renditions of vehicles, both in terms of external appearance and functionality."

No interiors in any tank, but nice graphics, and the tanks look like the real deal. And play seems to be pretty decent...fast frame rates and low pings. People serious about good tank combat are leaving WOT for it in droves. And they are pretty much leaving their bad habits behind. Naturally, it's no Steel Beasts, but you might want to give it a try for casual play. :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Realism and historic accuracy is something we are extremely passionate about ...

Except that:

The Leo 2 fires ATGMs (or at least did last time I looked - saw a YouTube video on it).

Only some vehicles can pop smoke (even though almost all vehicle models have MBSGDs shown).

Scorpion has power traverse, stabilisation and a laser range finder ...

Also its only Steam, AFAIK, so its not for me.

Obviously others might find it great (and if you do that's all good), but I think a couple of Marketing departments could do with a dictionary. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

Except that:

The Leo 2 fires ATGMs (or at least did last time I looked - saw a YouTube video on it).

Only some vehicles can pop smoke (even though almost all vehicle models have MBSGDs shown).

Obviously others might find it great (and if you do that's all good), but I think a couple of Marketing departments could do with a dictionary. :)

Nope, not on Steam at all. They have their own (multiple) servers. And it's still in beta, so there are plenty of corrections and bugs being worked on. Bugs first, then they will move on to more accurate representations.

YouTube videos could also be pre-beta. There have been in pre-beta for a few folks just to get the system up and operating. Realism and 100% accuracy is not what they are concentrating on right now. They are trying to get the sim stable and operating efficiently. And they still have a few problem with that.

Hey...it's not for everybody. You can always beg, plead and cajole Steel Beasts Pro to release an actual playable version of the M60. And they may actually think about doing so...someday.:luxhello: In the meantime, there are THREE playable versions on Armored Warfare, it is FREE , and it's a pretty enjoyable sim to play. Heck, if nothing else, you can use it as a trainer for SB Pro for when they finally (someday) release a playable version of the M60.

Nothing but blow shit up?? If you are saying it's nothing but yolo game play where you rush forward with your finger held down on the firing button, you are dead wrong. And you will be quite dead if you try and use World of Tanks-style game play in Armored Warfare.

Edited by Deputy276

Except that:

Nothing but blow shit up??

Um I didn't. :)

I also said:

Obviously others might find it great (and if you do that's all good)

and if you are one of those people then great, its just not for me.

Edited by Gibsonm
Added my original post for context.

• Members

Of course it totally depends on what you're after. At least these games have the potential to raise some interest in tanks in general (which is always a good thing in my book), and who knows, some of their players might start looking around what else exists.

... You can always beg, plead and cajole Steel Beasts Pro to release an actual playable version of the M60. And they may actually think about doing so...someday.:luxhello: In the meantime, there are THREE playable versions on Armored Warfare, it is FREE , and it's a pretty enjoyable sim to play. Heck, if nothing else, you can use it as a trainer for SB Pro for when they finally (someday) release a playable version of the M60. ...

Why Esim allows people to post what basically amount to commercials for other products, especially ones that take digs at SB has always been beyond me ...

Someone has the patience of Job over there.

Mog

Of course it totally depends on what you're after. At least these games have the potential to raise some interest in tanks in general (which is always a good thing in my book), and who knows, some of their players might start looking around what else exists.

Excellent point. As I said..not for everybody.:wink2: But I can say right now, if you play it like World of Tanks, you definitely won't have a good time. People who come from WOT with the viewpoint that it is just "WOT Modern Tanks" get a real rude awakening real quick. The PvE mode seems to be the most popular. The AI tanks are really quite good. Yolo-ing will get you killed real fast. So will rushing out from cover or not angling your armor correctly.

Mogwa: On the World of Tanks forum they won't even let you say the full name of "Armored Warfare". They are that paranoid about the competition. I doubt very much AW poses any kind of threat to regular players of SB Pro. As you can see, many folks already don't like AW that play SB Pro. If SB Pro can't take a simple thread informing everyone of other sims available, then they are in REAL deep trouble. AW doesn't even approach the difficulty level of SB Pro. Actually, it is NO competition at all. It's a simpler alternative.

Personally, I don't think eSim has anything to worry about. As a simulation/trainer, SB is in an entirely different category than WoT or AW. The kind of people who are attracted to one may or may not be attracted to the other. And if they are, it would likely be for entirely different reasons.

IOW, there's still nothing else on the market that can compete with SB for what SB is intended to be. And, as has been stated before, it's not as if commercial sales are what keeps eSim solvent. As I understand it, they're just a source of a little extra income and, more importantly, a big source of feedback and QC, which you don't always get from military customers, apparently.

• Members
Why Esim allows people to post what basically amount to commercials for other products, especially ones that take digs at SB has always been beyond me ...

Someone has the patience of Job over there.

It's not patience, it's our inflated ego. ;)

...but, more seriously: A growing "tank game" market will in the end help Steel Beasts as well. The tide lifts all boats, after all. :)

I've suspected for a long time that the flight simulation is in relative stagnation (at a much higher level than tank simulations, as far as sheer market size is concerned) because there are no more "sim lite" titles that allow new players to gradually ease themselves into the genre. Titles like Strike Commander that offered great gaming value at the time while neither totally sacrificing simulation fidelity nor going "full retard" on the switchology.

It's not patience, it's our inflated ego. ;)

...but, more seriously: A growing "tank game" market will in the end help Steel Beasts as well. The tide lifts all boats, after all. :)

I've suspected for a long time that the flight simulation is in relative stagnation (at a much higher level than tank simulations, as far as sheer market size is concerned) because there are no more "sim lite" titles that allow new players to gradually ease themselves into the genre. Titles like Strike Commander that offered great gaming value at the time while neither totally sacrificing simulation fidelity nor going "full retard" on the switchology.

Indeed, I would agree with that statement.

My first tank game was a console game. I never showed much interest in Armoured

Warfare before I purchased the game for one of my kids.

It started a twenty year plus obsession with armour. LoL

One thing about WOT that bothers me is the way the keep plugging it as a realistic tank sim.

Complaining that armoured warefare is not "realistic", is like complaning that strawbeery jam does not taste like peanut butter.

It is a good game in its own right and it has some nice looking models. With the right players it can also be a great tactical shooter. Whats not to like about it :-)

But tbh, to me it looks like world of tanks with different colours. I didn't like world of tanks and I tried armoured warfare a bit, then I uninstalled it.

Edited by Grenny

Competition in sims/games of similar ilk helps keep developers on their toes. ALL developers. Build a better mousetrap, and people will flock to use it. Keep producing the "same ol' thing" or keep making mistakes in implementing it, and people will get bored (or angry in the case of WOT) and move on.

WOT is in deep poop because of numerous faulty marketing strategies and poor gaming decisions:

They are eliminating maps faster than they are introducing them. They are altering existing maps and causing them all to be "channel maps" that funnel players along the same narrow routes and strategies every game.

New players play the same few maps over and over and over again, thus failing to learn things like implementation of cover and concealment and cammo. Premium ammo is encouraged for use at all times. Lag, ping spikes, and latency, along with frequent CTD are a constant problem. Patches come out every 3-4 weeks and all they do is nerf or buff existing tanks. Never any bug fixes. Never any patches to increase historical accuracy of the tanks. Nerfs and buffs are based on how many people whine-cry about a certain tank. Russian tanks rarely get nerfed and almost always get buffed. WTH...it's a RUSSIAN game. What do people expect??

That doesn't even take into account the Match Maker that has been broken for years. The RNG that gives ridiculous results. And those using bots or game mods to give major advantages. Plus arty that is totally unrealistic.

This is why Armored Warfare isn't even allowed to be named on their forum.

I would hope that all sim/game makers learn from WOT's mistakes. AW certainly has and is reaping the benefits from it. :)

Complaining that armoured warefare is not "realistic", is like complaning that strawbeery jam does not taste like peanut butter.

It is a good game in its own right and it has some nice looking models. With the right players it can also be a great tactical shooter. Whats not to like about it :-)

But tbh, to me it looks like world of tanks with different colours. I didn't like world of tanks and I tired armoured warfare a bit, then I uninstalled it.

Its not the games fidelity I find annoying ( it is what it is) And i am fine with that.

its the way its marketed by the developers they go to great lengths to imply Armoured warfare/WOT is a accurate representation of modern/WW2 tank warfare which it is not.

The uninitiated mite be under the impression its accurate.

So what? People get things wrong(depending on p.o.v.) all the time on the interweb!

I'd worry more about the drop of a rice-bag in china.

Its relative in-terms of future SB sales I would say.

I made my way through a few pretenders before I found the original SB demo by accident

Even then I hesitated before purchasing thinking I had a decent simulation in tank platoon

Its only when I started to read about armour I realised SB was worth the investment.

I thought tank platoon was the dogs bollocks of tank sims till I realised it was a good game But not a full fidelity simulation. I would speculate a lot of AW/WOT players think there playing a realistic simulation

• Members
Its relative in-terms of future SB sales I would say.

The fate of eSim Games does not hinge on PE sales figures, and neither does the fate of the Personal Edition in the foreseeable future.

Those who develop a serious interest in armor and modern combat will eventually stumble across SB Pro. And some of these will probably learn to appreciate it. :)

When you see negative comments about SB Pro, they mainly hinge on the outdated graphics. It is the 21st Century and computers have come a long way since SVGA graphics. Unless and until SP Pro does something about upgrading their graphics to modern standards, they will never come close to competing with the rest of the tank-gaming world. I know I know...every runs to the "simulation accuracy" excuse. But that really doesn't fly any more. Even if it is a 100% accurate simulator (I don't think SB Pro is, it's just more accurate than the competition), poor graphics will kill it's popularity real fast. If SB Pro continues to lag behind in this respect, then it can be the most accurate tank simulator in the world, but it will be out of the competition, except for a very small amount of diehard fans. When you sell SB Pro for $115, you better have the best of everything on it. That includes graphics. Especially when the competition, and that would be every tank game/simulation out there, has graphics superior to SB Pro. I am more than a little mystified that owners of SB Pro are so willing to accept substandard graphics, and then accept the excuse that the makers don't have public gaming as their priority. Are we all supposed to feel "elite" because countries don't care if they use outdated DOS graphics in their version, as long as they consider the program a "simulation"??:confused:

Now before the fanboys start ripping me a new a-hole, understand I bought the full $115 license, the DVD, and the manual. So I am not someone who has no real investment in the program. I want SB Pro to actually be "the best of the best". In it's current form, I don't think it is. Heck, most people never even heard of it. But before it starts looking for a bigger player base, it badly needs graphics improvement. Saying 'they aren't all that interested in the public version of this sim' just ain't gonna fly any more.

If SB Pro is just a "hobby" from E-Sim and not really due real consideration for improvement by them, then E-Sim should sell it to someone who really cares about improving it. It's that simple. Now feel free to :nuke: my post, I got a thick skin. :bigsmile: