Operations

TankHunter

I believe the documentation for that is being "drafted" :)

Yes "we" are having similar issues putting one together for the "Christmas* Bundle".

* I just invented that, I'm not committing eSim to deliver NLT 25 Dec. :)

There's a second operation with multiple scenarios created we are just working through the process of linking the scenarios together.

Hopefully that process will generate some user notes (either that or we slowly roast Volcano over a fire until he tells us how he did it).

• Members

You first need to understand that putting together an operation structure does NOT involve any scenario files. It's basically just the logical skeleton of the mission tree. You will then need to enter the names of the scenarios that represent the different phases to connect the actual scenarios with the structure by which they are presented to the user.

There's no point & click. You will want to operate in Windowed mode, with an Explorer window next to it so you can look up the scenarios and do basic file operations like coyping the scenarios into the subdirectory of "My Operations".

But we went through the procedure a few evenings ago, and I took notes and wrote it down as good as I could in the Release Notes (the stuff before the blue pages begin). Try to follow the description in there.

Here's a quick and dirty look at the Operations Mission Tree building:

Launch the Mission Editor and select File | Create/edit operation.

Click New/Reset. A dialog will appear.

Enter a title for the Operation.

Enter a folder name - simultaneously, create this folder in MyDocument\ESim Games\Steel Beasts\My Operations

Enter a description of the Operation.

If using a picture, enter its name in the Picture field and place the file in the folder you just created.

Ops1_zps36e57aba.png

Click Apply, then click Save. Enter a filename - I like to use the same name as my folder name. Append .opc to the end as this is the Operations Control file. Click OK.

Ops2_zps722b021b.png

Exit the Mission Editor - no need to Save Untitled at this point as we made no scenario changes. Operations are distinct from Scenarios.

Click Operations in the SB Menu.

Ops3_zpsad659106.png

Our Operation should appear in the list - click its name and you should see its photo and description. Click Exit to go back to the menu.

Click Mission Editor and select File | Create/edit operation again.

Click Load and select the OpTutor.opc file (or whichever name you used) and click Open.

Now click Phases - this is where you structure the mission tree.

In the Phases Pane, enter a Title for this phase.

If you desire one, enter another photo name for this phase and place the photo in the Operations folder as above.

Enter the filename for the phase - I prefer using something similar to the Title here again. This will be a scenario file, so the name should be something like Mission_1.sce

Add a description of this phase.

Click Add to add the phase to the Operation. It should appear in the Operation Phases panel above.

Ops4_zpse97b436c.png

Repeat the process for however many phases you intend to have. Note that you must update each field or the entries would be repeated as the UI does not clear them when you click Add.

Now, select the first phase in the Operations Phases window by clicking it.

In the Phase Successors drop-down, select Mission 2.

Click Add in the Phase Successors section.

Ops6_zps5496a3d5.png

You should now see Mission 2 in the Phase Successors pane on top. You could add other phases as successors to Mission 1 also, each with their own conditions.

Now click Mission 2 in the Operation Phases pane. Notice that the Phase Successors pane goes blank, as nothing has been selected for Mission 2 yet. The selected phase in the Operation Phases pane drives the data displayed in the Phase Succssors pane.

In the Phase Successors drop-down, choose Mission 3 and click Add. You would continue in this fashion, adding whatever the proper successors are to each phase. Having Mission 3 loop back to Mission 1 is also quite acceptable.

Next, click Mission 1 again the Operation Phases pane. Also click Mission 2 in the Phase Successors pane. You can now add the conditions for this succession.

In the Conditions section, click Add.

Operations can have their own unique Events, can be driven off regular events, conditions or Triggers or can be score-driven. The key thing about Operation Events is that they persist through the entire Operation, whereas regular triggers, events and conditions are scenario specific.

Let's keep it simple and say that to continue the Operation, the player must achieve a score of 80 on the previous mission.

Make sure the score button is clicked and then change the first number to 80 and the second to 101.

Ops8_zps6654c25e.png

Click OK to add the condition. It will now appear in the Conditions pane.

Ops9_zps06432374.png

Now, this is important. With the three boxes still selected, click the Assign button. You should see #0 appear in the Phase Successors pane next to Mission 2. This means the condition with that numbered identifier is active for that succession.

Ops10_zpse67a9b5e.png

Repeat this process, selecting Mission 2 in Operation Phases and Mission 3 in Phase Successors. If you want to use the same score condition, just highlight it and Assign it. No need to duplicate it. Of corse you can add a whole new condition if you wish.

Click OK to save all your work.

Your Operation mission tree is now done. Next up would be creating the scenarios, using some Operations-specific functions.

• Moderators

Nice posts Toyguy! :)

Also, everyone should feel free to open the Sinai Ops OPC file and dissect it as you want. Copy and paste it and play around with it -- it is pretty advanced in that it uses a branching tree and is non-linear. I can provide a diagram of it if anyone wants, but it is hand written on a scrap of paper so it might look like chicken scratch...

• Members

Ahh... no that's 'OK'.. you're supposed to press the 'Zuruecksetzen' button (in English labelled 'Initialize' - not 'Reinitialize' as the german translation has it.. 'Initialisieren' would be better) in order to make all the fields active (alternatively you could load an existing control file, which should also make all fields active but would of course also enter values..).

That's it: "Zurücksetzen", where to know? The Release notes say (page 7) : "To create a new Operation, open the Mission Editor 1) Go to "File", then select "Create" or "Edit Operation" .....

Ok thanks for that hint, let's take a look into it. I'm sure there will be more questions ;)

Another potential very powerful option; change the map between phases.

e.g. build a checkpoint, wall. Save this as a version of your 'start map' and use it in the next scenario by using the 'replace map' function in the mission editor.

• 6 years later...
19 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

In an operation, is it possible to carry over to successor scenarios, the last state of current one, like for example, the last position, ammo, fuel, damage of the surviving units? If not, is it at least possible to carry over to the next scenarios only the surviving units?

If i understand your question correctly, i think the answer is no. I dont know that there is a way to have the next scenario in the operation automatically/dynamically transfer the remaining force into the next scenario. Operations are a bunch of scenarios tied together with some kind of "if scenario 1 is victory, then next scenario is 3" kind of logic.

I have never built an Operation though, so i could be wrong...

Edited by Bond_Villian

4 minutes ago, Bond_Villian said:

If i understand your question correctly, i think the answer is no. I dont know that there is a way to have the next scenario in the operation automatically/dynamically transfer the remaining force into the next scenario. Operations are a bunch of scenarios tied together with some kind of "if scenario 1 is victory, then next scenario is 3" kind of logic.

I have never built a Campaign though, so i could be wrong...

Yes, that's my question, otherwise, for each outcome, there would need to be dozens combinations of successor scenarios.