widw screen issue, bug perhaps

fidelthefallguy

over the last few days I have been messing with 3 screens, trying to get them to work with SB, no problems at first, looks really cool, but there seems to be a problem with the range display bar not scaling correctly. here are a few screen shots to illustrate the problem. (sorry about image size)

first normal view on one screen

file.php?id=801&mode=view

next wide over 3 screens

file.php?id=796&mode=view

As you can see even thought he second image is scaled down a lot more than the first the range bar and text are huge, ad part of the sight image has been cut off. Is there a way to change the scale of range text? or perhaps make the black bar see through via some messing with textures? This is all so the case with the commanders thermal screen not showing in the screen, but half out the top so only the bottom half of the commanders screen is shown. some part of the scaling seems to be off once the window size gets large.

The same view through the day and aux sights

file.php?id=797

file.php?id=798&mode=view

And what it actually looks like while playing (commanders position)

file.php?id=795

i'm still saving my pennies for another 19" to replace the 17 on the right

S!

• Members

Right now, a three-monitor setup is ideal for the commander's place but bad for the reasons that you showed in the gunner's place. We need to disable the scaling to monitor width for scope views beyond a reasonable ratio, and keep the left and right black, ideally.

It's not a bug in the sense of an unintentional error, just the way how certain rendering mechanisms are defined currently. We need to change code in order to prevent these extreme stretch effects. I can't promise that this will happen anytime soon.

Looks awesome Fidel!

Thanks

Nice! Is that a 922 on the left? How are you setup for graphics cards?

yep a vx922, I'm running an 8800gt and a 7800, with the left and center screens on the 8800 and the 17" on the 7800. frame rate drops about 50%, but on large open maps I see no problems apart from the ones stated above.

• Members
too bad, as I foresee this becoming a problem as the proliferation of wide screen monitors increases.

Is the bar a graphic or coded?

The black bar with the red range LEDs is part of the real image, though it should be far lower than it is being rendered due to the extreme aspect ratio of your setup.

with the Matrox Triple Head, you video card only outputs one video signal. So you maintain the same frame rate. if you use two cards it adds a lot of load to the system, reducing the frame rate. the triple head just splits the signal between the three screens. your video card just thinks its outputting to a single screen at 3072x1024 (or what ever rez you set it to). The advantage of two cards is that you can set them up independently, allowing you to have one or two screens for games and another for browser or other tools

• 3 months later...

Will the upcoming patch solve the FOV issue for the gunner? It feels like cheating when it looks like my leopard has a 50x zoom and engaging the targets becomes too easy

And I know this is an old thread but the benefits of using a second GPU and SofTH rather than matrox triplehead, is that SoftTH has no limitations to the resolution and it's free. You do take a hit on the framerate though but it really depends on your computer. I've only started to learn this simulation and played the one winter mission with the 2A4 and no slowdowns there. SBP seems to handle high resolutions pretty well (5760x1200) or maybe that's because the FOV is so narrow right now and less rendering is done?

Anyway, just a thought if someone out there has multiple monitors but don't want to spend bucks on the triplehead2go unit :)

• Members
Will the upcoming patch solve the FOV issue for the gunner? It feels like cheating when it looks like my leopard has a 50x zoom and engaging the targets becomes too easy

I'm not quite sure what you mean. At best, the Leoaprd 2A5 offers 24x zoom from the commander's TIS view, not more.

• Members

Well, what can I say?

Reduce your screen resolution. Sit back a bit farther away from the screen.

There is no way how the software could know what kind of a screen diameter you actually have and how close you're sitting to it. Such a "scaling" is entirely the user's responsibility. You complain that it is "too good" and we keep an upper limit on the number of pixels per mil, and the next user complains that for him this now is too small.

I think this does sound like a valid issue, although maybe not for the reason stated in the recent post.

In the real sight the FOV is a circle, and some important symbology can be presented on the vertical axes. For example the graticule and aiming marks on the GAS sights in many vehicles.

With a single screen of normal aspect ratio only a very little of the top and bottom of the sight picture is lost. With the wider aspect ratio the sight image is stretched to fill the width of the sight, resulting in very little height to the sight, and no ability to use the GAS sights.

It seems reasonable to change the scaling priority to be the smallest pixel dimension rather than the width (or indeed instead of specifying it to scale with height - allowing for possible tall-thin windows as well, though why anyone would use this is less clear than for widescreen)

A slight 'oversizing' of the sight FOV to the window size would seem reasonable to obtain maximum resolution for clarity as it is done now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all.

I am now a member of the tripple monitor crowd,using the matrox THTG with

3x23" monitors. No disrespect to SB. but I've been playing "arma" in surround view and its absolutely amazing. I Love my SBpro, but triple head support would be awsome. I get the same ratio/aspect issue as stated earlier in this thread.

The problem is that once you expierience surround vision, there's no going back to a single monitor. .