Tunguska standing in for the Gapard

Crusty

I'm looking forward to being able to use the Tungnska as a stand in for the Gepard with the new update, obviously it would have no missiles,

What I'm wondering is how would the Gepard would have been deployed,

did they travel up the sharp end with the Leos, or a couple of Km back?

in ones and twos spread about or more grouped together?

anyone have any ideas about tactics and deployment?

OOps just noticed I missspeeled Gepard in the title :redface:

Edited by Crusty
Brain fart

• Members

In the Heeresstruktur IV (until mid 1990s) the Gepards would usually be deployed one per company. With an effective range of two to three kilometers they can't drive far behind the tanks in order to provide effective air defense coverage. I'd keep them close to CO and artillery observer, as a rule of thumb.

Since you can now create heterogeneous platoons, it will probably make a lot of sense to create a six-vehicle pletoon, split it into individual vehicles, and then turn one vehicle into a bridgelayer, an M88, a "Gepard"/Tunguska, a medic, a fuel, and an ammo truck. This would represent the universal company trains & combat support unit platoon which would then fall into the XO's management responsibility.

If remember the OSH classes correctly, they would be deployed as one Battery (6 vehilces).

The deployment types are:

Blocking ("Fla Riegel")...all Gepards in one row, to prvent enemy to get into the protected area,

Area covering ("Raumdeckend")...the Gepards spread over the deployment zone with each one coverung his sector.

And "one the move"("begleitend")...usually for marches, where AD elements moving with or next to the march column.

Well, these are all i remember, but they have in common that the Gepard moves between or right next to the combat elements.

MKG

Grenny

(For Ssnake: bei mir war es "Neues Heer für neue Aufgaben" ;-) )

• Members

Even if they are technically under leadership of the FlaFührer and led as a "platoon" with a 500m or 1000m unit spacing, the effect essentially is that you get one Gepard per each company's assigned sector. Each brigade has one air defense company with four(?) platoons - one platoon per battalion including the artillery battalion.

Which, if you think about it, kinda makes sense.