Aust CO-OP Campaign - Orders Mission #2

Gibsonm

ADF_2e.jpg

BG Orders

TOPOGRAPHY

The ground is generally flat with some hills and varies from open pasture in the West to built up and Industrial areas in the East.

Key Terrain: The ridge providing the LD.

Decisive Terrain: The urban areas and port complex.

Known obstacles: The fence lines that BG EAGLE has been complaining about are also present here but should pose less of an obstacle to our tracked vehicles.

SITUATION

Further to the General Brief issued by the S2 earlier, the following update is available.

Enemy:

The Enemy is assessed as possibly as large as two Mech Coy, reinforced with Tk and anti armd spt. There is also the chance of a heliborne force launching from RAAF WILLIAMTOWN depending on the success of BG EAGLE’s operations there.

T-80 were sighted during the initial lodgement and must be assumed to be present in the TAOR.

Apart from rotary wing, it is assessed that due to the current air parity situation, he can insert fixed wing assets for short loiter strikes on High Value Targets (HVT).

Most Likely Course of action (MLCOA): Is assessed as imposing delay and withdrawing under pressure in order to (IOT) gain time for negotiations, to inflict casualties on ADF forces and to damage infrastructure as much as possible.

This would cause the Government of Australia (GOAS) to be embarrassed by its perceived inability to defend its own territory.

Most Dangerous Course of Action (MDCOA): Is assessed as accepting decisive engagement. This would generate a full scale MOUT engagement, generating heavy casualties and inflicting long term damage on infrastructure.

This would create more embarrassment than the MLCOA and if implemented would cause massive civilian casualties and inflict large scale economic damage on the region.

Friendly:

Higher Commander’s Intent

Two Up: To regain Australian sovereignty with minimal civilian and ADF casualties and limited disruption to NEWCASTLE’s operations.

One Up: The Brigade Commander has been directed by the PM and CDF to clear the NEWCASTLE region IOT re-establish Australian sovereignty and set the conditions for GOAS to seek reparations from the invading power.

GOAS has declared a ten nautical mile exclusion zone around the mouth of the HUNTER RIVER. The Maritime and Air component commanders (MCC and ACC) have been tasked to DESTROY vessels that cross that line to ensure that there is no attempt (possibly as part of the MDCOA) to block the channel with a sunken merchant ship, along the lines of the MV Pasha Bulker incident of 2007. ACC and MCC have deployed assets with HARPOON missile system to effect this policy. All ship’s Captains have been advised by radio that this will be a “no warn” policy if a vessel crosses the boundary line.

There is a very short chain of command here. The BDE Comd and all unit COs were recently briefed in person by the CDF with the PM in the room.

CO’s Mission: BG TIGER is to clear Northern NEWCASTLE IOT regain AS sovereignty in the NEWCASTLE region.

BG TIGER is 1st BDE’s ME.

Civilians:

Our TAOR is lightly populated in the West however there are bound to be pockets of civilians who were unable to leave NEWCASTLE before the current deployments took place. Civilians have been asked to evacuate via the PACIFIC HWY to the SOUTH so there should not be too many refugees in our AO.

Regardless, Cbt in NEWCASTLE is to be conducted using the required level of force but no more.

Attachments and Detachments:

Attached:

A Sqn 1st Armoured Regt OPCON

B Sqn 1st Armoured Regt TACCON

1 x TP of ARH, TACCON for the duration of this activity.

2 x MRH90 for AME tasking.

FARP assets

1 x TP, 16 AD Regt TACCON

9 TPs of two guns each from 8/12 Medium Regiment, RAA in Direct Support.

MISSION

BG TIGER is to clear Northern NEWCASTLE IOT regain AS sovereignty in the NEWCASTLE region.

EXECUTION

Purpose: We are here to remove the Enemy from the city of NEWCASTLE and to re-commence coal loading operations as soon as practicable.

Method: To achieve this the BG will atk “3 up” with a Tk Sqn providing spt. B Coy, the NORTHERN CT, is BG ME.

Endstate: The endstate will be the main portion of NEWCASTLE’s commercial harbour back in AS control. This along with the securing of RAAF WILLIAMTOWN (BG EAGLE) and NEWCASTLE’s CBD (BG BOAR) will complete the liberation of NEWCASTLE.

Concept of Operations

Scheme of manoeuvre: Three CTs will clear within sector. E Coy is BG Res. Spt Coy, B Sqn and an ARH Tp will provide an ABF. Guns will be reinforced once the EAGLE task is complete.

Spt Coy’s Recon & Survl PL has already identified some enemy locations visible from the LD. They haven’t reacted so the deception plan is working.

Main Effort:

All Phases: B Coy / Northern sector.

Groupings / Missions and Tasks:

BHQ

Grouping: No Change

Mission: Provide C2 IOT achieve the BG Mission

Tasks:

- Command the BG

- Be prepared to host visits from both PM and CDF who will personally observe the operation from BGHQ at some stage after H hour.

- Ensure SITREPs are sent to me and BDE Comd so we know what the CDF and PM know.

B Coy:

Mission: Clear NORTH Sector IOT achieve the BG Mission

Tasks: Clear NORTH Sector

- BG ME.

- Conduct fwd POL with B Sqn and Spt Coy.

- Clear En within boundary.

- Secure port infrastructure.

- Est co-ord point with BG EAGLE as per trace.

- BPT to become BG situational RES if relieved by E Coy.

Purpose: Reopen Port.

C Coy:

Mission: Clear CENTRE Sector IOT achieve the BG Mission

Task: Clear CENTRE Sector

Purpose: Spt clearance of Port.

D Coy:

Mission: Clear SOUTH Sector IOT achieve the BG Mission

Task: Clear SOUTH Sector

- BPT spt BG BOAR.

E Coy:

Mission: BPT take over from B Coy IOT achieve the BG Mission

Task: BG Res

- BPT conduct Fwd POL with B Coy to maintain assault.

- BPT conduct RASO on order.

Spt Coy:

Task: Fire Spt

- Est Javelin SBF loc on LD to spt manoeuvre Coys prior to H hr.

- Integrate Bn MOR into BG fireplan.

- Recce BPs for B Sqn prior to H Hr.

A SQN:

Mission: Provide Tk spt to manoeuvre Coys IOT achieve the BG Mission

Task: Provide intimate spt to manoeuvre Coys

- Provide 1 TP per Coy

- Lead the assault across the open ground.

- Spt Infantry in built up areas.

- DESTROY En AFVs

B SQN:

Task: Fire Spt

- Break from Hides at H hr

- Occupy previously identified BPs

- Integrate fires with Spt Coy

- BPT to conduct RASO once manouevre elm have moved beyond spt.

- BPT to form BG C-ATK force

Avn Spt.

ARH and MRH90 spt only (UAV assets with BG EAGLE).

ARH

Occupy ARH SBF on order

Pri of fires: C2 nodes, MBT, IFV, Infantry

BPT counter en helo insertion threat if detected.

MRH90

Provide AME for Pri 1 CASEVAC

Coordinating Instructions

Timings:

H Hr not before 0600

TP Sectors cleared NLT 0800

Secure Port, on order but not before 0900

Boundaries:

As per Trace

Routes:

Remain within Trace

ROE:

Lethal force authorised, collateral damage to be minimised

Fire planning

Arty:

JOST to co-ordinate air and arty fires.

Have been allocated 6 Troops of PzH2000 in DS for duration.

BG EAGLE's 3 x TPs to be cut to BG TIGER on completion of BG EAGLE's task.

JOST to develop suitable tgt list for distribution pre H Hr.

Natures available:

HE

SMK

DPICM

Use of DPICM has been authorised for non populated areas to minimise the EOD risk.

Air:

ARH initially to occupy ARH SBF until h+25 then available for further tasking.

Some CAS on station.

ADMIN AND LOGISITICS

Supply - Water & Rations / Fuel / Ammo /next replen

All call signs to carry first line.

Next Replen at H+24 unless OPDEM received earlier.

A2 Echelon - Maintain BG. FARP has dedicated AAVN log assets.

A1 Echelon - Maintain CT's. A Sqn Tks will be supported by respective Coy Ech.

A Sqn's Tk ammunition has been re balanced to increase numbers of HEAT rounds.

Casevac

By ground initially (either Coy means or Admin PL) then via AME for Pri 1.

COMMAND AND SIGNALS

Command – Myself, Bn 2IC, OC B Coy, OC A Sqn.

Questions in 3 minutes.

ADF_2f.jpg

Mission2_Assault_used_zip.64c57aada44959

Mission2_Assault_used.zip

Edited by Gibsonm

Linking from the “Thoughts” thread:

Alright,

I feel like I've just run to school and given my homework to the master while still panting and regaining my breath!

Again Pat ("Companyteam") has come to my aid and developed a cunning Red plan.

If you find it challenging all kudos to him.

If you find it a "walk in the park" feedback to me because I either haven't tested it enough or wasn't clear in what I asked for. :)

New thread with scenario and orders about to go up along with calendar entry.

Some caveats / limitations:

1. Each Coy’s Spt Section Javelins can’t move in their allocated APC’s.

So happy for them to go fwd and supplement the fire on the LD.

Everyone else is in dead ground and been given “hold” commands so they don’t creep fwd and join the fight too early.

E Coy’s need to stay with E Coy though.

2. Unsure if this will be too “big” to run over a the ‘net (even if hosted in NH).

Figured we could just “suck it and see” and if it is too big trim it to be just B Coy (but that in turn reduces the number of places).

Edited by Gibsonm

We go for sunday?

Well we’d better be, since half the battlefield is littered with Log stuff! :)

I’ll be there in 15 hours. :)

Saturday evening for most

Sunday morning for some.

Calendar entry in.

If this short notice means attendance is down we can always delay (wouldn’t mind still using a “non start” opportunity for a Server Test though).

Edited by Gibsonm

Guys,

Firstly thanks for staying up for it.

Will adjust the scenario for visibility and ability to ID units and repost.

I think that size / detail is at the upper limit for hosting from here.

Will advise when modded scenario is complete - in case you want it.

Well that was interesting, G troop forced to defend itself, with er interesting results. Guess they won't be pestering us again.

:)

First off the enemy "tried" to flank us, Pretty much everything packing a .50cal within 2Kms opened up on the 3-4 transpo helos that wanted to join the party.

The infantry that landed was then given a painful and graphic demostration of a WW1 style engagement, by 4X 155mm Guns & 8 120mm Mortars using open sights, with direct and semi-indirect fires.

[ATTACH]8723[/ATTACH]

From Mortar platoon one in the south west.

[ATTACH]8724[/ATTACH]

From Mortar platoon two in the south east.

[ATTACH]8726[/ATTACH]

Overall "emergency" situation in the rear.

The good news:

We have ploughed a farmers field.

:)

Thankfully none of the men actually needed to use their personal weapons.

And I've heard that one PH2000 needs a hosing down from the cmdr relocating his tea at a high velocity when the "stand to" came over the net.

I also heard over the net that the enemy is now using "Hover Tanks" looks like this just got serious......

SS_23_42_40.jpg.cb5dc9c8c8a32fbb0a4c4b54

SS_23_43_30.jpg.c616df34a7271b0153e5e8f0

SS_23_43_56.jpg.1a80fc31f95cf207d109dfa3

Well that was interesting, G troop forced to defend itself, with er interesting results.

Yes I need to talk to Kingtiger about that.

Battlespace management is just, that not pretty pictures drawn on the map as "optional" locations. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

[ATTACH]8726[/ATTACH]

Overall "emergency" situation in the rear.

Well the RBS70 Bty to your North also helped. :)

And there were 4 x ARH at the FARP available.

But I was thinking of committing the AVLB / Biber hull (it having dropped its bridge).

Edited by Gibsonm

I also heard over the net that the enemy is now using "Hover Tanks" looks like this just got serious......

Yes.

This is an excerpt from the BG S2's report sent up to BDE (note this vehicle continued to hover having suffered a K Kill after eating an APFSDS round at approx. 30m):

ADF_2g.jpg

The boffins are already thinking up ways to address this.

Apparently "applying some elevation" has been discarded as too simplistic an approach.

ADF_2h.jpg

SITREP / AAR:

B Coy culminated.

D & C Coy achieved Objectives but need an operational pause to replenish.

E Coy looking for new OC. They failed to spt the guns during the incursion and possibly worse didn't reinforce B Coy when tasked to (real reason - I didn't have control of them during the battle).

A Sqn has taken losses but can be made up.

B Sqn also took losses while doing E Coy's job (bitter, not me).

Echelon seems to have moved out of their assigned location and accordingly couldn't spt the guns when the heliborne raid arrived.

Luckily the Guns and the AD Bty sorted them out.

Teaching points:

Manoeuvre elm aren't the only ones who need to rehearse and synchronise!

Luckily this time we were going forward.

Overall:

The BG achieved all objectives except its Main Effort (and could therefore be assessed as having failed).

C and D Coy cleared within sector

B Coy penetrated deep into the salient but was unable to secure the port area.

OC B Coy believes he can hold in current locations but we may need to pull him back to the edge of the built up area so he avoids the current flanking threat to the East.

Unsure if the Combat Cameraman took any footage. If he did, suspect it is being reviewed frame by frame for any more evidence of the “hover” technology and its release maybe delayed.

I will be off for the week so I'll check the "footage" later... though gotta say not much got recorded actionwise. FPS was horrific (5-8 for me while in external view) and the biggest threat to us was the warping friendly Abrams that appeared from nowhere and crashed into our tiny M113s... =)

Thanks.

Regarding the FPS issue do you think chopping visibility back to say 3,000m would help there or was it simply a case of a too cluttered map and too many units?

i.e. Do you think that the first Mission, say, would have been OK?

Just trying to get a left and right of arc for hosting from here, since domestic usage seems to be bu**er all. :)

For more FPS I think 1500-2500 would make a difference, though it's the map objects (not the units) that cause the slowdown. From the lag point of view, with 10 players, all with 350+ ping, there WILL BE warping of units!