Win 8 + SB runs fine

ARM505

Is this useful? Anyway, Win 8 runs SB fine, mine was an 'upgrade' from 7. The Codemeter software causes a constant pop up that intrudes on the metro desktop (why, Microsoft, why!!!?!?) on boot otherwise it's fine. I'm sure that can be cured easily. Of course, the obvious question is, why Win 8? The answer....no idea.

• Members
At the moment, Microsoft is supporting four releases of desktop Windows. For reference, here are the end-of-support dates for all currently supported Windows versions:

• Windows XP SP3: April 8, 2014
  • Windows Vista SP2: April 11, 2017
  • Windows 7 SP1: January 14, 2020
  • Windows 8: January 10, 2023

(In case you're wondering, yes, Microsoft has a formal definition of "supported.")

Furthermore, you’ll still be able to buy Windows 7 PCs for at least two more years. Microsoft’s sales lifecycle for Windows (which is different from its support lifecycle) specifies that retailers will be able to sell the boxed version of Windows 7 until at least October 25. 2013, and OEMs can sell PCs with Windows 7 pre-loaded until October 25, 2014.

And on top of all that, you and your business have downgrade rights. Assuming that Windows 8 Professional incorporates license terms similar to those of its predecessors, it will include the right to downgrade to Windows 7 Professional. When you buy a new PC with Windows 8 Professional installed, you can legally replace it with a copy of Windows 7 Professional.

source

I got Win8 RTM for zero cash, hence my changing. To sum up, there is no real reason to change now. Frankly, it's a bit of a pain. Not terrible, but no improvement, and quite a few things seem more clumsy. I'm still getting used to the UI, but I can't help but think it's bad.

As I see it, it is an enforcment attempt of theirs to make people buy their new tablet. That'S why they switched off the option to have the Start-button back, and why they also switched off the option that the OS starts not with the new design, but the old classical view. By making people using the new design, they calculate, they will train them to form a greater acceptance for it, and thus a greater acceptance of tablets. - As reported in the press and tech magazines.

Other producers of hardware convince people by their hardware's feature and handling. Microsoft needs to "train" people to like it. Some things they just never learn, it seems.

It will be interesting to see whether it works or not. W8 is a major product of theirs, and has plenty of financial investements. If they fail with it and with their tablets, they are in troubled waters. I personally would prefer a Galaxy 10 currently, if needing a tablet. iPad is all nice and well, but I hate their closed app universe idea. But I do not need a tablet currently. Not at all. I only could need a good E-reader in Din-A4, to read PDFs with small characters without needing to move a zoom three times per page. It is surprising to me that the market does not offer something like that, maybe with the exception of the American big sized Kindle, which imo is far too expensive (in Germany with VAT you are somewhere around 460 Euros and need to import from the US directly). A black-white-Reader (no tablet) in Din A4 shall not cost more than 100 Euros - maximum.

Are you using it with mouse and keyboard, or do you smear your screen with fingerprints?

LOL, no - and I can't see too many pc users getting into that at all! :) I really can't see why MS couldn't just have a little checkbox marked 'I'm using Windows on a pc, and thus don't need stupid UI workarounds for touchscreens, I have the superior combination of mouse and kb thanks' and just have a slicker version of the current setup. It's this blind 'must copy iApple things, even if it doesn't work in this case and we can't do as good a job!' attitude....

Haven't you heard?

EVERYTHING is going mobile. There's NO POINT in supporting people who are obsessed by the past.

Especially those who are not only obsessed by the past, but also create content...like I'm going to fire up Photoshop or 3DSMax or write the next "Great American Novel" (or crappy sci-fi, as I'm wont to do) on my handy i-whatever.

Well, I managed to make win8 behave mostly like win7 now. Track IR works now, my Cougar HOTAS works, so all is normal again. Some of the new things are even quite nice to have. But all in all, unless somebody gives it to you for nothing, it's not really worth the effort.

• Members

The arguments were about Vista and XP. Win 7 corrected many of the Vista issues, and even then Vista offered some reasonable benefit over XP in terms of system security and usability.

Win 8 just seems to change the user interface with the sole metric being usability with mobile devices. I'm not a Luddite. I just question the benefit of being an early adopter when it comes to IT systems.

90% of our systems still run XP (5% Windows 2000, 5% Windows 7), along with many of our customers. There is no rush to upgrade. The business environment is much different than the gamer's world.

A couple of years ago my brother's company dragged it's self kicking and screaming into the 21st century updating Netware 3 to Windows NT :)

Now that was a rather large multinational company, I also worked for a large multinational company until a few short years ago, they had recently updated to Windows 2000 and we were a company at the forefront of electronic devices and systems.

My other laptop has HDDs for Dos 6.2 Windows 3.11, Win 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, but Vista will run although not well.

This laptop has a touch screen and I have win8 but I have never installed it yet, just too happy with the way Win7 is working on it.

• 4 months later...

Re Windows 8 -> just FYI:

Bought new computer; runs Windows 8; installed SB

Error msg: "d3dx9_31.dll can not be found"

-> FYI: a download of DirectX 9.0c did not solve the problem, as "DirectX 9.0c can only be installed on Win XP, Vista, 7, etc" so not on Windows 8 ..."

-> But this solved the problem: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Apart from that, Win 8 seems to be fine with SB

• Members

Well, the computing power of mobile devices is growing very fast, so from that perspective it's only a matter of time until it would be feasible. Whether it makes sense is a different matter. If a substantial portion of our customers would use tablet PCs and no more desktop or notebook computers, I suppose we'd have to adapt.

Personally I think that the mobile gadgetry is a terrible mistake by consumers as such, a voluntary march into serfdom. PCs are open platforms with the widest possible range of freedom of choice. Any smartphone and tablet is the exact opposite, part of an "eco system" that limits choice and, due to their proprietary nature, their users build their own prison walls by storing their data in the vendors' clouds that make the migration from e.g. Apple to Android or the other way ever more costly.

As a software vendor we could care less. As a consumer interested in competition and fair value, I am still dumbstruck by that lemming procession before my eyes.