Source=drain regions and getting the civies to move

EMiner

OK, I have some questions -

1) How does one set up a Source Region? I haven't seen it in a menu (yet)

2) I did find Drain Region and set one up...I think. What are the steps.

3) I created a lot of civilians in what I think is my source zone

There is a navmesh, I save and run the scenario and alas they just stand there.

Does anybody have some step-by-step tip/instructions on how to do this? The release notes are a bit vague.

Thanks

Any created region can be a spawn zone and any region can be a drain. Right-click on a region and select "Spawn zone" to set it up. You'll note "Drain region" is one of the possible selections; just select the region where you want your spawned civies to go, and it can even be the same region.

I realized I didn't answer the question so here goes:

Bulk create some civilians and place them out of the way, preferably off map.

Right-click your spawn region and select "Spawn zone>Prototype>More", this allows you to customize the individual make up and size of your spawning group from the civies you created earlier.

Set your "Unit count", i.e. the number of "Prototype" units you want to spawn per time segment set under "Frequency".

Specify your "Drain region". Note for a more realistic behavior, choose the same region as your spawn, unless you need your civies to move a large distance.

And...set your pathfinding.

Does that help?

• Members

Well, you can assign the "Spawn zone" property only to an existing region ("New Map Graphic..."). The Spawn Zone checkmark will appear as soon as all neccessary parameters have been set (notice that there are a number of default parameters that you still may want to change even if the checkmark is already there).

• Members

Every party is for its own, allied or not. You can't control allied units, only those of your own party.

Bulk created civilians are just that, all the characters in one place. It's just a way to not have to click the sequence "New Unit - Civilian - [Group type] - [Character]" because if you try that it'll drive you insane and cause a carpal tunnel syndrome. If you want them to be computer-controlled, you'll have to set that separately.

If you have no intention to use them for individually scripted units, just as prototypes for clone pool actors, the best method to hide them is to assign a "Spawn, if..." condition to the whole lot that never becomes true in the mission. So you don't have to hide them in a forest or anything. But of course they are also a resource to be used for individual actions, if you want.

You guys probably know this already but what I found is that using the spawn zones you can create a feeling of a battlefield going on around you.As I entered the town to overtake I started hearing gunfire every now and then and was thinking that someone was attacking me.I had set the civilians to blue and they all were spawning fully armed.It was the civilians that were fighting as soldiers against the red infantry I set up in the city and since you can control the spawn rate you can control the amount of background fire.This is great for immersion and made it feel as though there was a war going on as I slowly made my way thru.Hearing gun shots and then none for a minute and then a few shots etc.Plus its not just a background noise but a real infantry battle and an indicator to tread slowly.

Sorry its erased as its not a scenario really as I just place units to test and go at it and always change it and resave.Its simple to setup though.All I did was setup some infantry and tanks inside a town.Then I spawned bulk civilians and set their spawn zone as the whole town and the whole town as the drain.Play with the frequency and unit amount for desired effects.Of course do it the right way and set the units to randomly spawn as infantry so you dont have women in dresses fighting against your enemies.:biggrin:

I think I managed to get the hang of it now, however at first I managed to create some funny scenes with TANKS spawning and patrolling randomly instead of civilians in an urban area... thinking of it it might actually become useful later on with some missions, that you can spawn and drain whatever force you want.

I think I managed to get the hang of it now, however at first I managed to create some funny scenes with TANKS spawning and patrolling randomly instead of civilians in an urban area... thinking of it it might actually become useful later on with some missions, that you can spawn and drain whatever force you want.

Oh, random cargo movement and rear area patrols in big scenarios!

ATM im fiddling with civilians in Baghdad Run scenario - the one Daskal made and scaled down for single player mode.

It is amazing how more vibrant and live streets are now and whole scenario looks much MUCH more realistic.

Combined with civies and IEDs this is completely new feeling.

Also I changed some of tanks to M1A2 SEp and oh boy... :biggrin:

TY Esims, and TY Daskal!:drink:

ATM im fiddling with civilians in Baghdad Run scenario - the one Daskal made and scaled down for single player mode.

It is amazing how more vibrant and live streets are now and whole scenario looks much MUCH more realistic.

Combined with civies and IEDs this is completely new feeling.

Also I changed some of tanks to M1A2 SEp and oh boy... :biggrin:

TY Esims, and TY Daskal!:drink:

Sounds cool, I wanted to update the scenario - do you have some screenshots of it?

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dont know how did i missed your requests guys - Im planning to run tonight x64 version and i will use this scenario for test, so yes i will make screen shots ( video is problem atm - low HDD , SSD space).

EDIT: here they are - i had to run after first 60 mins of game , so there was not so much of them and i set children to run first , then elders, then armed elders at the end :)

http://www.dodaj.rs/f/m/wl/1f6pbEWQ/sbprope64cm-2014-07-01-2.jpg

http://www.dodaj.rs/f/2T/o5/2TLQZCkQ/sbprope64cm-2014-07-01-2.jpg

http://www.dodaj.rs/f/2V/6Z/2VxvTibp/sbprope64cm-2014-07-01-2.jpg

Edited by BigBadVuk
Added links with pictures