Military vehicle pathing in 3.002

Gibsonm

Some issues encountered earlier today during a MP session hosted in Germany.

AAR here:

1. Vehicles given a path clip (and are stuck in a building):

Time: 1hr 28min 55sec

Grid: 9087 5670

1 x AVLB and 1 x ARVM moving in column get stuck in/on a building and can't be manually driven away:

9989498905_3d91f0cfa9_c.jpg

Seems odd given the pre release screenshots showing vehicles parked under building overhangs (I assume they weren't "stuck")?

In addition controlling soft vehicle packets (M113 (Eng), Miklic, ASLAV (Amb), M113 (repair), HEMTT Trucks (Fuel and supply) VERY problematic.

For example between GR 9109 5777 and GR 9255 5926 is a secondary road / track

Between H+1hr 32min and H+2hr 13min I tried to move these types of vehicles in three packets.

Packet 1: 1 x M113 Repair

Packet 2: 1 x ASLAV (Amb)

Packet 3: 1 x HEMTT Supply and 1 x HEMTT Fuel

Even though they were given:

March route

Wide spacing (in the case of the two trucks)

Shift click to select the road

Each had to be micromanaged to stay on / get back on the road and could not be left to the AI.

Classic example: Trucks go "wandering" at H+2hr 4min 36sec at GR 9553 5701:

9989681334_99bcb4da03_c.jpg

Kingtiger assured me he had created a navmesh (not that it applies to military vehicles yet as I understand).

The bottom line was it was quicker (both in terms of issuing commands and arrival times for the units) to ignore the road and give them a direct cross country route with a march command, rather than micro managing every vehicle every few minutes.

TAC197 (also in Aust, i.e. 300+ hops away from the German server) had similar issues, indeed his are the AVLB and ARVM above.

So:

A. Unsure if distance / lag is the issue.

B. Unsure if creating navmesh is good for civilians but has unforseen impacts for military vehicles.

C. The roads in Lapland are so bad that going cross country is better?

Scenario file attached.

56e83cf3af79f_Lappland2v2_zip.9918d524af

Lappland 2 v2.zip

Something similar at today's TGIF (no idea if a navmesh was made or not).

Leo given a route along a major highway.

At every waypoint it did a 720 degree turn and then continued on its way.

I'd be really disappointed if I was engaged whilst conducting this doughnut. :(

Can post the AAR if it helps.

Hmm,

Well the file name is "Symmetrical Attack 04-NP-874".

I have a plan file, report file and AAR dated yesterday but the scenario file is dated 20 Sept?

Anyway copy attached.

The vehicle in question is Blue "2/7/C" which is spawned at GR 5040 4201 and heads South when Trigger 2 is activated.

56e83cf422d21_SymmetricalAttack04-NP-874

Symmetrical Attack 04-NP-874.zip

I noticed this a few times while testing and I found that if I zoomed in tightly, somehow I had managed to generate a circular route at that point. Grabbing the vertices and repositioning them sorted it out. Perhaps this is what you're seeing?

I noticed this a few times while testing and I found that if I zoomed in tightly, somehow I had managed to generate a circular route at that point. Grabbing the vertices and repositioning them sorted it out. Perhaps this is what you're seeing?

Well I'm not sure how "a" shift+click results in a circular route?

Yeah, me either, but it sure seemed like that's what I was seeing when I was noticing the issue. I was also using the Shift routing feature and on several occasions, I ended up with a route that looped around on itself for some reason.

Just a thought - might not be your issue of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem continued last night.

Had a Soviet company in a traffic jam from hell.

Eventually gave up and gave them routes beside the road - took a lot longer but at least I could let them get on with it and fight the rest of the Battalion (that lost about 8 tanks while I was doing traffic duty with the Reserve).

I think I'll just do that from now on and test again when/if a maintenance patch comes out.

Again can provide scenario files, AAR, reports, etc. if required.