Challenger 1 FCS

apelles

A bit off question.

What kind of operation mode has the FCS of the Challenger 1?

Like the Australian Leopard1AS? Or more like the C2?

I read somewhere that one Challenger 1 holds the record of the longest tank kill in the Desert Storm. It has an excellent optics? A superb FCS? Or just luck?

It was a luck.

Challenger 1 FCS is as far as I know, the same IFCS system as Chieftain had. So nothing superb about it.

Besides this, it is still not clear how that Challenger 1 achieved it's kill and how many rounds it fired before it actually hit Iraqi tank.

Not pure luck, though that will have come into it (maximum dispersion is larger than target form being at least one part of the problem, and also difficulty in obtaining a clean lase from a small target at long range...). However, the FCS of Challenger 1 as far as I can tell was capable of generating a valid APFSDS solution at 5km, at a time when all other tanks 'cut off' at 4km or less (probably a result of the necessary computation for HESH engagements at more moderate ranges).

While other tanks can fire APFSDS to the same or longer ranges they cannot do so in their normal operation modes and need various workarounds to accomplish the result.

Several that I've seen discussed:

For a target at 'just over' 4km, setting the sight onto the target in emergency mode, setting the manual range to the same offset 'just under' and relaying centre of mass.

Using a different ammunition nature, and a conversion table for lased>manual range with the "wrong" nature loaded/indexed.

While the CH1 FCS is convoluted, it does have some helpful features too. The Ellipse is a very useful visual guide to whether the current range is appropriate for the target's distance. If the lased range is much too short for any reason, the Ellipse will be too large for the target which will not 'fill' it correctly.

It was a luck.

Challenger 1 FCS is as far as I know, the same IFCS system as Chieftain had. So nothing superb about it.

Besides this, it is still not clear how that Challenger 1 achieved it's kill and how many rounds it fired before it actually hit Iraqi tank.

Have you ever fire a tank gun?:confused:

Have you ever fire a tank gun?

No.

However I do not understand the context of this question.

Tank guns also have dispersion, and at longer engagement ranges there is no guarantee that you will hit something with a first shot.

Additional problem is how to properly calculate range.

Challenger 1 FCS as Dejawolf said, was nothing brilliant, in fact it was a terrible SOB, not to mention just "terrific" ergonomics inside turret.

I have my doubts that crew of that specific Challenger 1 hit that Iraqi tank at 5000m with their first shot. I know that many in UK also have doubts with this version of the story.

Huh, thanks for the opinions.

Where i can read in detail on the web or book about Challenger 1?

It's a cool machine for me, not the best, but cool. Like Leo 2A4 and T-55. :cool3:

I read a debate in another tread about how bad this, or how bad that. But hey it's a cool sim. It's fun trying simulate cold war warmachines. Fun, nothing to quarrel about simulated tanks. I like the old Leo even if my ass is burned in hundred times by M1A2s.

Sorry for the another off topic paragraph...

Huh, thanks for the opinions.

Where i can read in detail on the web or book about Challenger 1?

It's a cool machine for me, not the best, but cool. Like Leo 2A4 and T-55. :cool3:

I read a debate in another tread about how bad this, or how bad that. But hey it's a cool sim. It's fun trying simulate cold war warmachines. Fun, nothing to quarrel about simulated tanks. I like the old Leo even if my ass is burned in hundred times by M1A2s.

Sorry for the another off topic paragraph...

you can try the portable challenger gunnery trainer in the downloads section.