Danish tanks to Afghanistan?

112TYR

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there has been talked about it, but I dont think it will be a reality.

The talk came up after light scout unit had been in some heavy fighting in Musa Qala around august, up to 50 times within a month until the got relieved by the british.

and after when the major got home with hes unit, he said that some tank support would have been nice, or atleast some armored vehicles.

It would take too long to get them there in the first place, and yes there's lot of logistics to think about also. But Im pretty sure we're capable to support and operation like this. We both had leos in bosnia and kosovo at the same time. So Im sure if it was the case that we could do it. it is after all professionel soldiers in both tank squadron and logistics..

Not drafted personell like the swedes that ride tanks. No pun intended ;)

Ok swedes, you may flame me now :P

Here's a interview with the major Lars Ulslev about the fighting, and a little bit of footage.....hope you understand danish! :)

http://wms1.jay.net/ftv/arc10/fsv4006.wmv

• 1 month later...

Well it actually looks that the danish leo2A5 might be a step closer to be used in afghanistan or iraq where the danes are stationed.

atleast the army have officially made the statement that the leopards now are ready to be sent into mission areas to support danish troops in iraq or afghanistan.

In danish

http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt+og+Presse/%C3%98vrige+nyheder/Kampvogne+klar+til+inds%C3%A6ttelse.htm

and some poor mobile fotos of the leo2 in desert camouflage.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/swankodk/rkenleo1.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/swankodk/rkenleo2.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/swankodk/rkenleo3.jpg

Are the danes there as a part of NATO? If so, wouldn't the heavy-lift capabilities of the US assist? In fact, doesn't NATO itself have heavy-lift capabilities?

It is my understanding that NATO commands all allied/coalition troops on the ground in Afghanistan as of late last year. If this is so, why are/were the Swedes there? Who constitutes the "coalition of the willing" in OEF? And is the combined operation even called OEF?

Here's a interview with the major Lars Ulslev about the fighting, and a little bit of footage.....hope you understand danish! :)

http://wms1.jay.net/ftv/arc10/fsv4006.wmv

Looks pretty neat, I wish I could understand it.

What is that armored scout vehicle with the .50 on it? It is comparable to the HMMWV from what I can tell. It would be cool to have IT in SB Pro PE eh?

Who constitutes the "coalition of the willing" in OEF? And is the combined operation even called OEF?

Canada is there with 2000+ troops and a Sqn of Leo1's (uparmoured)

Brits also.

We have lost some troops, and could use some help in the south.

Europe! are you hearing this?:confused:

Hello is anybody home?:(

Are the danes there as a part of NATO? If so, wouldn't the heavy-lift capabilities of the US assist? In fact, doesn't NATO itself have heavy-lift capabilities?

It is my understanding that NATO commands all allied/coalition troops on the ground in Afghanistan as of late last year. If this is so, why are/were the Swedes there? Who constitutes the "coalition of the willing" in OEF? And is the combined operation even called OEF?

In Afghanistan, the danes are a part of ISAF NATO Operation. In Iraq the danes are there as a part of the US. led coalition.

But how if it gets to the point that they will deploy the tanks, I have no idea if how they will get transported, probably by sea.......but thats just a guess.

Actually, NATO took command over the last parts of Afgh july this summer, before that command was split between NATO in north and center, and US in the south. Now NATO command all of afgh - but heres the tricky part, USA is running their own show next to NATO, and does not in any way have to answer to NATO.. All in all there is alot of strange things like that going on there, such as different nations are there under different mandates an ROE's etc.. kind of an strange situation, where you end up with problems like "we have alot of high-quality troops in country, but only 3 battalions that are allowed by their governments, ROE's etc to be put in the fighting in the south etc"

Why swe and other non-NATO are there? NATO is not a closed organization. I think that in pretty much every conflict they have been involved in for the past 20 yrs or so they have welcomed any help from outside they can get. And speaking from the Swedish side, even through we are neutral, there is nothing that holds us from select certain conflicts that we feel we need to be involved whit, as long as it follows some criterias in our constitution. I think it's a similar situation for other non-NATO nations in Afgh and other conflicts as well.

Re the transport issue. Im not fully sure exactly how it works, but iirc NATO has a collective transport fleet that is distributed between the different members through a way complicated system, that in the end means that who ever needs transport capabilities wont get it, cuz the other nations that dont need it have it for the moment :) . As a response to that the EU is planning to build up their own transport abilities by buying a few of this C5 whatever huge planes from the US.. and come up with a new system to distribute transport measures to whoever doesent need it for the moment heh..

The Afghan jaunt is UN-sanctioned. It's the same with Kosovo: Kosovo is a NATO-run-operation, but it's run with the blessing of the UN. Hence Irish troops (Which by domestic law can only go on UN missions) are both in Kosovo and Afghanistan, but don't wear blue berets.

NTM

• 8 months later...

Seems that danish leopard 2A5's are getting closer to deployment in southern part of afghanistan. There has been some discussions in denmark in a while, whether the deployment of leopards should be a go or no go.

Our troops in southern afghanistan have for sometime requested tank support.

And today the defence department have made an official request to deploy the leopards.

So now it is up to the politicians to approve it.

I think it is the right decision to deploy them.

They're both in the southern province although the Danes are further to the west with the Brits. I haven't heard anything about the Cdn Leo 2's in action yet but the Leo 1's are still there.

We just lost another reservist this week. He was a Taurus ARV (recovery veh) when helping to fix a Leo2's track came under motar attack, others were hurt as well. Another armoured crewman lost in battle. We are up to 77 now.:decu:

• 4 weeks later...