Difference between revisions of "Piranha V"
|Line 57:||Line 57:|
[[Category: Mowag Family]]
[[Category: Mowag Family]]
Latest revision as of 15:14, 8 May 2021
Piranha V: Armored Personnel Carrier
Remote Weapons' Station (Lemur): 12.7mm M2HB or 40mm AGL (optional)
Ammunition Stowage: 300 ready/900 stowed 12.7mm or 64 ready/900 stowed 40mm grenades
Default Ammunition: 100/900 12.7mm PPTM/85 LS or 64/900 40mm M430 HEDP (HEAT)
Integral Grenades: 3 ready/6 stowed per bank (2), total 18.
Frontal Turret Armor: N/A
Frontal Hull Armor: Moderate, Composite. Protected vs 12.7mm/14.5mm AP. Blast resistant design features.
Combat Mass: 33.0 tonnes
Engine: 585hp MTU 6V 199 TE21 Diesel
Top Speed: 100kph
Developed as a private venture by GDELS-MOWAG the Piranha V is the latest evolution of the Mowag Family of wheeled APCs. Larger than previous versions of the Mowag chassis used on other LAV series vehicles, the Piranha V features an all-steel welded hull with add-on composite armor offering all-round protection versus 14.5mm AP and artillery shell splinter. A double-v lower hull gives enhanced protection against IEDs and mines and the vehicle uses a height-adjustable semi-active hydropneumatic suspension with full-time all-wheel drive and four-axle steering. A central tire inflation system rounds out its automotive capabilities. The Piranha V is not amphibious, but may ford water obstacles up to 1.5m deep. By default this vehicle is unarmed, but based on version may be equipped with either a cupola mounted .50cal M2HB machine gun or the Lemur, M151 Protector, or M153 Protector remote weapons' stations. Beginning with revision 4.156 all members of the the Piranha V family may be equipped with the Diehl Active Vehicle Protection System (AVePS) and all modeled versions may optionally carry RPG fencing to protect against RPG and ATGM threats.
Steel Beasts Professional models six versions of the Piranha V all outfitted with the SAAB Barracuda Mobile Camouflage System:
- The basic Piranha V APC carrying an eight-man dismount section carrying 2 AT-4 light anti-armor weapons, an M60E mg, and 5.56mm rifles.
- The Piranha V AAAMS (Advanced Automated Autonomous Mortar System) equipped with a ESLAIT A3MS 120 mm automatic mortar system.
- A Command Post vehicle which may be created in the Mission Editor to have its tent extension deployed and if deployed to have the vehicle screened with camouflage netting in a manner identical to the M577 command post vehicle with the same restrictions.
- A "Repair" version with capabilities identical to the M113G3-DK Repair.
- The Piranha V Engineer that may mark cleared paths through mine fields, carry barrier material (concertina wire rolls), and construct wire obstacles in a manner identical to the M113G3 Engineer although it may not tow a MICLIC trailer. Note that since it is equipped with a dozer shield, this vehicle may construct one and two tier vehicle emplacements during runtime (rev. 4.156). As an engineering vehicle, the Piranha V Engineer carries an 8 man pioneer section carrying 5.56mm rifles.
- An armored Ambulance version.
With the exception of the ambulance version all variants may be manned at the Driver's (F9) and Commander's (F7) positions, along with the Gunner's (F6) position if equipped with a RWS and squad leader (F11) position if carrying troops.
Although Steel Beasts Professional primarily models the Danish version of the Piranha V, the system is in use by the armed forces of Monaco, Spain, Romania, and Switzerland.