The Art of Scenario Design

mapman

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, didn't mean to infer that the only reason I was curious was for a sneak into SB Pro PE Mr Shot, apologies if it came across that way. I truely do enjoy reading & learning more from fine text such as this..... whatever the eSim beast it's associated with :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just finished with the control logic section, better than three months after I said 'it'll be finished next week'. I blame reality, for having the audacity to make me do its bidding lest I suffer the consequences.

Anyway, it's done. Map is still as busy as I; it won't be posted for a while so anyone who wants a copy should send me either an e-mail or a PM.

The control logic section will actually be two sections; the first one explains how conditions, events, and triggers work and the next will provide some practical examples.

Gary Owen wrote an article on Boolean logic to go along with this, and Jayman also wrote an Excel flowchart that gives a good visual feel for the flow of a control logic statement. They're available at the site Mapman set up for this endeavour. Thanks to both of you for your contributions, and especial thanks to Hell_Hound and Gary Owen for services rendered in the edtorial and proofreading department.

Shot

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Smog, there are going to be a couple of articles to go along with the control logic thing. They're going to be practical examples of what the first article mentioned, but I'm going to wait until ProPE comes out so that I don't have to redo all the screenies.

Map, I plan to redo the extant chapters stem to stern and that will include new illustrations as well. As for what's left, it'll get finished, even if my heirs have to finish it for me.

Shot

• 1 month later...

Most of what you see, except for the scoring chapter, is still applicable. The least-applicable chapters are those centering around making the map and the one talking about available unit-types.

Working on the scoring chapter, getting to the others as time allows. Typing as fast as I can...

Shot

• 1 month later...

I have read your thread and find it very interesting. One of the topics that I may have missed is the ability of SB pro to import DTED and shape files to create maps.

We have had great success in downloading the data directly into SB pro and have created "flight AOR's" of 80 km by 80 km for many places around the world. If you would like me to send you our experiences here at 403 Tactical helicopter squadron please let me know.

Capt Boer

403 Tactical Helicopter Squadron

CFB Gagetown

Canada.

One of the topics that I may have missed is the ability of SB pro to import DTED and shape files to create maps.
You haven't missed it, I haven't included it yet. What you're reading at the moment is relevant only for SB:G. I'm working on updates to make the SBSDG compatible with SB-ProPE; they'll get done eventually, which regarding completion is all the promise I can give you at this point as I'm still the only one beating out copy.

I'd very much like to hear your experiences, you'd be helping rewrite that particular chapter and with SB-Pro's ability to instantiate new maps from shape- and DTED-files I'd doubtless learn something on the way. PM or e-mail me with your e-mail address.

Consider also talking with Hell_Hound, TwoBravo, 12Alfa, and/or 9erRed. They're fellow Canadians, and at least three of four have personal experience with SB-Pro. They're also fine gents, to boot.

Shot

• 1 month later...

An aside, but something I learned in the editor last night.

From another post:

I noticed a new bit that I was never aware of last night. When you are adjusting numerals for a condition in the scenario editor (the random variables or time for instance) you can adjust at a higher rate by holding shift while you click in the box. For the variables it changes your rate of increase/decrease for each click from 5 to 20. So, instead of 20 clicks to get to the value 100, you can get there in 5 ;)

After 6 years you'd think I'd have figured this out by now, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...