The Art of Scenario Design

mapman

1 hour ago, Assassin 7 said:

Try looking here: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Moving_Units_On_Routes#Engage

You can use the engage tactics  or the scout tactics.

Thank you Assassin 7. 

Did read it some time ago, but always good to refresh it and I for sure have made the waypoint way to spread out (more then 1K).

As a old Infantry guy, I just wondered why a column of PC's Marching forward and getting under attack, would not dismount infantry. I for sure would jump out if I was under fire sitting in the back of a truck. I guess these Steel Beasts Soldiers have some big balls :)

What condition would work for this or am I asking for the impossible.

Would love to create a situation, and have AI (Enemy) dismount and take suitable defensive position if engaged at any point. As I said before I tried all kind of conditions, sadly nothing worked.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, JUST said:

Thank you Assassin 7. 

Did read it some time ago, but always good to refresh it and I for sure have made the waypoint way to spread out (more then 1K).

As a old Infantry guy, I just wondered why a column of PC's Marching forward and getting under attack, would not dismount infantry. I for sure would jump out if I was under fire sitting in the back of a truck. I guess these Steel Beasts Soldiers have some big balls :)

Would love to create a situation, and have AI (Enemy) dismount and take suitable defensive position if engaged at any point. As I said before I tried all kind of conditions, sadly nothing worked.

So assuming you are using 4.019 - you don't say.

In the planning phase plot the route and select "dismount if" and that will do it.

If in live play (i.e. an unplanned route) - use "scout".

The alternative is to create suitable routes during the planning phase (including the "dismount if") and put them off to the side of the map. Then doing execution you can copy and paste thatos routes onto units during the execution phase.

Again what you need can't really be covered here in a series of long posts that may or may not cover all eventualities.

1 hour ago, JUST said:

Thank you Assassin 7. 

You can use the engage route tactic and change the formation of the platoon to column and the spacing. When you come under fire the infantry should dismount since you PC's have stopped and you set your vehicle's infantry condition to dismount if vehicle is under direct fire. It should work. When I get home I will test it again since It been a few months since I made a Scenario.

How close do near misses have to be for a PC to count as under fire for the purposes of pre-programmed infantry disembarkation and does this also include fire that could not disable the vehicle - rifle calibre small arms, claymores etc.? Does an adjacent vehicle hitting a mine or being taken out by direct fire count?

3 hours ago, ChrisWerb said:

How close do near misses have to be for a PC to count as under fire for the purposes of pre-programmed infantry disembarkation and does this also include fire that could not disable the vehicle - rifle calibre small arms, claymores etc.? Does an adjacent vehicle hitting a mine or being taken out by direct fire count?

In the case of fire that does not disable the vehicle, yes. You can fire a coax at a tank and it will report being under fire. If the vehicle is in a platoon, and another platoon vehicle is destroyed, then yes. If they are not in a platoon together, it depends on how close. 

The best way to find out is to put some units in the editor, and try it for yourself! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a question for the community here but how critical do we perceive including victory goals or points in a scenario?

In other words if I put in the briefing "Your mission is to stall this attack over here.  When you decide you've had enough, watch the AAR and determine if you got your arse handed to you." is this something the community seems to be OK with?

I usually have a good feeling, regardless of points/score/etc, on how I did, but that's just me...

11 minutes ago, Maj.Hans said:

Just a question for the community here but how critical do we perceive including victory goals or points in a scenario?

In other words if I put in the briefing "Your mission is to stall this attack over here.  When you decide you've had enough, watch the AAR and determine if you got your arse handed to you." is this something the community seems to be OK with?

I usually have a good feeling, regardless of points/score/etc, on how I did, but that's just me...

I think the importance of scoring depends on your intended audience, if its a TGIF scenario for example, you should have clearly defined and accurate scoring because people like to know if they won or lost in a MP game

Edited by Bond_Villian