Need Help!

TSe419E

My computer was acting strange so I decided to reload Win. 7. It loaded just fine. I put in the disc that had the drivers for the mother board and it seemed to load them without any problem. It then said that I needed to restart my computer which it did after I clicked "OK." It then put up a screen that said something to the effect of "Windows is updating, please wait." It was onl;y on for a few seconds then the screen went black. I waited for a more than reasonable amount of time and the only thing I saw happening was a few flashes to indicate that the hard drive was reading/writing information but not at a rate to think that a program was being loaded. There was no splash screen for the BIOS and windows never loaded.

The only thing that I can see happening when I turn it on now is that the fans come on, the USB 3 ports power up, and the occasional light for the hard drive. Nothing else happens.

Can anybody clue me in to what might be wrong before I shell out the money on a new computer?

Yeah, more info needed.

I would just add that I've never hooked a pc (hard line) up to the net till I had the basics covered. I've read that in the past this is a very dangerous time for viruses and malware to make it on.

So get the basic system running, drivers, antivirus etc, then hook up to the net and let windows update.

Things change, and this might not be as important now.. Don't know. But to be of any real help, we need to know more about what it was doing before. You could have had some hardware issue.

If you have another pc try connecting your HD to it see if you can read its content and write new content to it

Also if you have more then 1 Ram bloc try removing it one at a time

The overriding issue are only make 1 change and only test 1 thing every time

It takes time but have the potential of saving you money and aggravation and prolly a lot of old files

Main things to check

HD

RAM

Video cards

IO Cards

Also another little bug with windows 7 and newer systems is that when installing while having more then 1 HD in you sometimes experience that it for some obscure reason makes the boot partition on another drive then the system drive, so to avoid that only have 1 drive with power when installing and then connect the power after install finishes :c:

Have fun or frustration :?

Thank you for replying to my question. I'm sorry I couldn't reply until now. Real-life stuff again.

Define "My Computer was Acting Strange".

Also, accidentally installing the wrong drivers for your mainboard is bad ju-ju. That at least is something that another Windows reinstall should (hopefully) be able to fix, in principle.

What was the computer doing before you reloaded Windows for it to "act strange"?

Painfully slow boot up and shut down, programs failing to start (even though they seemed to be loading), programs not shutting down unless being ended in the task manager (which didn't always work), programs freezing up or commands being ignored, cursor not properly aligned, and an instance of "blue screen of death" (which I haven't seen since I first got Windows 98 years ago).

Yeah, more info needed.

I would just add that I've never hooked a pc (hard line) up to the net till I had the basics covered. I've read that in the past this is a very dangerous time for viruses and malware to make it on.

Disconnected my wifi receiver before reloading the OS.

If you have another pc try connecting your HD to it see if you can read its content and write new content to it

Also if you have more then 1 Ram bloc try removing it one at a time

The overriding issue are only make 1 change and only test 1 thing every time

It takes time but have the potential of saving you money and aggravation and prolly a lot of old files

Main things to check

HD

RAM

Video cards

IO Cards

Also another little bug with windows 7 and newer systems is that when installing while having more then 1 HD in you sometimes experience that it for some obscure reason makes the boot partition on another drive then the system drive, so to avoid that only have 1 drive with power when installing and then connect the power after install finishes :c:

Have fun or frustration :?

I followed your advice and disconnected the second hard drive and the boot process finished allowing me, to again, reinstall the OS. now for the frustrating joy of reloading all the other software.

Thanks again, everyone.

a little tip

Windows from vista and newer are hardware independent to a degree

Which means that if you make a backup with windows backup tools onto an external HD you can buy new hardware or switch hardware even from a laptop to a desktop.

The only criteria is that the new HD is bigger or equal in size to the old one and that your cpu are of the same type/manufacturer

That means that you have all your old files installations etc ready after some reboots

When you reinstall you just choose install from backup and wupti your on again

The only downside is you also keep all your old crap

I have tried it with a laptop to a desktop and it worked fine.