HESH with changing ranges.

cj95

The dubious killing abilities of HESH aside, I am at a loss on how to employ this round against targets that are either rapidly closing and/or retreating.

(ie, ranges changing rapidly)

The agonizingly slow flight time means that the laser range finder is pretty much useless. By the time the round takes its merry time to get to the computed impact point the target has already long since moved on.

I suppose manually input ranges are possible, but Im not smart enough to guess a range five seconds out, tap it out into the computer, and then fire quickly enough to make a difference.

Are we going back to WWII style Kentucky windage?

• Members
The dubious killing abilities of HESH aside, I am at a loss on how to employ this round against targets that are either rapidly closing and/or retreating.

Don't.

That said,

The agonizingly slow flight time means that the laser range finder is pretty much useless. By the time the round takes its merry time to get to the computed impact point the target has already long since moved on.

Yes. Aim lower if the vehicle is closing, or higher if it's driving away. Or switch to the commander's position and order to unload the HESH round and replace it with a higher velocity round that is more suitable for moving targets.

I suppose manually input ranges are possible, but Im not smart enough to guess a range five seconds out, tap it out into the computer, and then fire quickly enough to make a difference.

Lase, then reduce the range by 400 (or add 400), and fire.

Are we going back to WWII style Kentucky windage?

With HESH on moving targets?

Yes.