Gotland, SE map

DarkAngel

New map uploaded as requested by Wahrborg(originally when there was no data), Profevil, KT and others.

Height Map

Terrain Map

Nils very kindly sorted me out with a 64bit copy of pro. Thanks Nils.

I was still not able to do the 80x120km i wanted to. This is 80x100km and just loses the peninsular on the southern end of the island.

Big thanks to Profevil for sourcing the data and helping with the prep.

BTW this is not set in stone. I am a bit unsure whether i got the road types and the building mix right. If there are big issues blame Profevil, no sorry let me know and I will change things. I have versions without roads and without buildings so its easy enough to re-import.

Height map is created from 2m LIDAR data re-sampled to 10m to comply with the DTED3 format.

Terrain data was sourced for me by Profevil so I can't quote the exact source.

Edited by DarkAngel
Links added

You're welcome. You have my email address right?. Have a look at it and email me if you want me to change the road types or the building mix. I can then re-import things in the morning if it needs anything.

You have mapper don't you?. Either you can clean up the coastal areas or leave it till I can get round to it. You may be able to get away with just painting the lumpy bits with water. The problem with LIDAR is it picks up the waves as data.

Yepp got your email.

I don't have a valid license for the mapper anymore so right now it's SB normal editor.

The roads looks good, missing rivers though and some lakes turned into land but Im finding them and replacing them.

there is allot of high towers on the map but that can be changed manually without big problem, dont think you need to much else with the map unless I/we find something major issue suddenly.

The waves are already fixed, so it was waves... cool :)

/KT

• Members
New map uploaded as requested by Wahrborg(originally when there was no data), Profevil, KT and others.

Height map is created from 2m LIDAR data re-sampled to 10m to comply with the DTED3 format.

The new terrain engine will actually be able to directly use the native resolution, but of course this will massively inflate the overall file sizes. Not sure, if practical.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good, DarkAngel. Your latest maps look like they're ready to go with very minimal fine-tuning (if any AFAICT). I especially enjoy the nicely bending roads, clean road-overlaps (no over extensions), and buildings that are not overlapping streets.

A quick glimpse reveals what could take hundreds of hours to produce by hand:

cleanVisby.jpg.520cd296fa6e83572ce02870c

cleanVisby2.jpg.eb7e55ba8e9ba1fb9ec7d35c

cleanVisby.jpg.520cd296fa6e83572ce02870c

cleanVisby2.jpg.eb7e55ba8e9ba1fb9ec7d35c

• 2 months later...

Work with detailing Gotland goes slow as expected but here is some progress and WIP :)

G1_zpsawdffvfn.jpg~original

Here is Tingstäde looking from the east, being positioned north of a lake/swamp and south of open plains with a ridge in between and one of the "bigger" west-east going roads this is dominant territory and will be a vital chokepoint to own.

g2_zps3hinktmd.jpg~original

Tingstäde looking from the north with the big west-east going road in the center of the pic and Tingstäde swamp in the background.

G3_zpsrcilhvd9.jpg~original

And here is Visby airport WIP, only workable landing strip for jets on the Island, only other "big" airfield is an old wartime airfield that can be used for choppers mostly or light aircrafts that can take off on short distance.

Have started a few small scenarios on Gotland but nothing fancy yet, but they will come :)

Darkangel, thanks for the help with Gotland :)

/KT

Edited by Kingtiger

Fine work and clever construction, Kingtiger. When I had just started map-editing, my first solution to gravestones was to use boulders as well. My current alternative is to arrange short segments of concrete paths to simulate the appearance of grave sites. Purely aesthetic of course, and no cover for infantry like a boulder/gravestone would provide.

Edited by Scrapper_511

9 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

Work with detailing Gotland goes slow as expected but here is some progress and WIP :)

G1_zpsawdffvfn.jpg~original

Here is Tingstäde looking from the east, being positioned north of a lake/swamp and south of open plains with a ridge in between and one of the "bigger" west-east going roads this is dominant territory and will be a vital chokepoint to own.

Whilst it may not look "right" can I suggest some gaps in the walls around the churchyard, otherwise your Infantry will be doing laps trying to get in.

1 hour ago, DarkAngel said:

I like what you are doing KT, Nice work that man!. Anyone else having problems with the first image?.

Thank you! :)

Here is the direct links for the pics if that works better:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/Magnusson/G1_zpsawdffvfn.jpg~original

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/Magnusson/g2_zps3hinktmd.jpg~original

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/Magnusson/G3_zpsrcilhvd9.jpg~original

/KT

• 1 year later...