Top Tank Platoon 2016 (discussion thread)

Volcano

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

OK the TTP Rules were updated adding information about giving tanks to other players:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Top_Tank_Platoon#Giving_Your_Tank_To_Another_Player

...since this is the first time this happened and no one really knew any better, no harm done. There will be no penalty given. This is just FYI for future reference. ;)

• Moderators

One thing we do not have a shortage of in the community are victims.

I have all but given up hope that people will grow thicker skins; it seems to be an exercise in futility.

Regarding the "issues"...

TEAM NAMES:

I suppose I can see the connection between "Dogs of War" and "Cats of Battle" now that you mention it, but when you said it I thought it was more of the name being a Yin-Yang opposite like fire and water, up and down, left and right. Also, its not like they had a name like "Pussycats of Battle", I mean, to me a "battle cat" would be a tiger or lion, not a house cat. So I am not sure how far someone can argue that it is offensive, other than it being somehow related. I have to admit that the first thought on my mind when "The DU Justice" name was submitted was more about this never ending manufactured crusade about "standing against (politically correct) injustice in the community" the whole of which I personally consider as Politically Correct bullying and a war on free speech. Am I right or wrong about the name connection? Maybe I am right, but perhaps I am wrong. Knowing that I was possibly mistaken and because I have thick skin, in the end it is irrelevant because I chose to not be offended and let the name slide.

The point? Anyone can be offended. I have my own personal opinions and I can be offended. Why not? You can be offended. He or she can be offended. We all can be offended. The RHETORICAL questions are: how far will someone go to get offended and how sensitive are you in the first place?

This is a moot point and should no longer be mentioned in the forums. Why? We have promoted TS Admins to specifically deal with things like this and you have a TS Admin on your own TTP team. All you had to do is report the avatar(s) to him and he could use his own judgement and decide what to do (the TS Admin can either delete it himself, or my personal preference: ask the user to remove it himself and give him at least 10 minutes to do it). If he refuses, or in the case of repeated offenses, the TS Admin should remove it and report the person to a Server Admin who can then decide to restrict that user from having an avatar in extreme cases. The point here being that these problems can be addressed by the TS Admin, and talking about it here simply comes off as more tit-for-tat type offenses.

//////////////////////////////////////

At this point I am trying to gather enough intestinal fortitude to process the final results and turn the page on what has become a stain on the tournament. One more instigating type comment on either side and I will ban that user from this thread and remove the post(s).

Edited by Volcano
clarification

...a Server Admin [...] can then decide to restrict that user from having an avatar in extreme cases.

Is it even possible to set a new avatar anymore? I deleted mine just after the whole mess and haven't been able to upload a new one since. Or have I been "restricted"? I don't remember having a particularly offensive avatar. Then again, I think it might've been a picture of my face. :biggrin:

• Moderators
Is it even possible to set a new avatar anymore? I deleted mine just after the whole mess and haven't been able to upload a new one since. Or have I been "restricted"? I don't remember having a particularly offensive avatar. Then again, I think it might've been a picture of my face. :biggrin:

The feature has returned again; the idea is to just restrict a certain user from having an avatar if they repeatedly abuse it. We will see how that goes...

Edited by Volcano
typos

I have to admit that the first thought on my mind when "The DU Justice" name was submitted was more about this never ending manufactured crusade about "standing against (politically correct) injustice in the community" the whole of which I personally consider as Politically Correct bullying and a war on free speech. Am I right or wrong about the name connection?

You're going to be a bit disappointed when you see how that name came about. :D

People were trying to come up with a name, but as I wasn't interested in the event (nothing to do with the participants or anything else, I just don't like the blind tanks with one player per vehicle concept) I jokingly came up with four absurd names for a laugh:

• Dargs of Wor

• The Fishy Snails

• Depleted Uranium Justice

• The flying rabbits

I didn't expect anyone to actually pick one. :shocked:

Thanks for organizing the tournament Volcano,it was great fun, I have a suggestion for the next.

Sometimes I was a bit overloaded in the tank, reading the map to find my position, reporting enemy contacts, report my own position to friends,keep tracking the positions of friendly tanks, and at the sime time scan around for targets.

So I think is a good idea play with full crews,(gunner/TC, driver if enough players), even if we have less teams.

Edited by Volcano