TGIF 2016: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sort of, but my preference would be that the time be published in GMT / UTC to begin with, so others can just do a one step conversion. :)

As it is, its CST to GMT, then GMT to where people live.

Its just another hurdle for people wishing to join this to have to negotiate.

Anyway I've written it down now so it should be OK for another 6 months.

Edited by Gibsonm

Actually...

The "Online Play" page is technically wrong. TGIF is currently being played at 2100 CDT (Central Daylight Time). The corresponding GMT should be 0200. The U.S. will remain on "daylight saving time" until 0200 (local time) Sunday, November 6th. DST in the U.S. always begins on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November. After Nov. 6th, TGIF will be played at 2100 CST, which will correspond to 0300 GMT.

Also, the use of "GMT" has been superseded by "UTC" (Coordinated Universal Time). Although, for applications where sub-second accuracy is not important, the two can be considered equivalent.

3 hours ago, Lt DeFault said:

Actually...

The "Online Play" page is technically wrong. TGIF is currently being played at 2100 CDT (Central Daylight Time). The corresponding GMT should be 0200.

I think that was my issue, with numerous countries going onto / coming off their respective "Summer time".

So why not change it to 0200 GMT and then in November change it to the new GMT equivalent (+/- 1 hour).

e.g.: Something like this:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20161029T0200

3 hours ago, Lt DeFault said:

Also, the use of "GMT" has been superseded by "UTC" (Coordinated Universal Time).

So what's the difference - apart from I suspect some issue with Britain providing the time standard?

Is it along similar lines to "B.C." being swapped out for "B.C.E." in the more popularist publications?

Edited by Gibsonm

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

So what's the difference - apart from I suspect some issue with Britain providing the time standard?

Is it along similar lines to "B.C." being swapped out for "B.C.E." in the more popularist publications?

UTC is a more precisely defined time standard and is based on International Atomic Time, but with leap seconds added to keep it within 1 second of GMT. Read up on Universal Time if you're interested.

Edited by Rotareneg

• Moderators

28 OCT scenario:

The Three Sisters 2013-UKvDE-4006-OMU

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• There will be a draft.

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

On 10/21/2016 at 8:54 PM, Gibsonm said:

So what does "2100 CST" (as per Teamspeak) convert to in terms of GMT / UTC?

I presume you've moved to /come off some sort of Summer Time since I'm in the lobby "now" and no one else is here.

Greetings, Gibson, 

When you have a moment. Please have a go at Google.com . 

A simple Search of "what is  2100 CST  in UTC ?" gives you the following result  :

UTC / Z CST CDT
0300 UTC 2100 (9 p.m.) CST 2200 (10 p.m.) CDT
0400 UTC 2200 (10 p.m.) CST 2300 (11 p.m.) CDT
0500 UTC 2300 (11 p.m.) CST 0000 (midnight) CDT
0600 UTC 0000 (midnight) CST 0100 (1 a.m.) CDT

Hope i could help. 

With Regards

Ash

• Moderators

4 NOV scenario:

Bridge Crossing Heavy 2013-4006-OMU

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• There will be a draft.

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.