TGIF 2016: scenario list, discussion, and house rules

Volcano

1 hour ago, ashdivay said:

what is the criteria for and where can someone upload scenario for TGIF consideration ?

I've designed two scenarios which were accepted for TGIF play.  I not sure there are any "criteria," per se, but I would suggest the following, which are probably just common sense.

(1) Volcano is the person to whom candidate missions should be submitted.  I've done so via PM.

(2)  Try to do something unique.  We don't need twenty more "Symmetrical Attack" missions.  Plus, Volcano recently remarked to me that they are looking for fresh/original ideas.   

(3)  Design a *complete* mission.  Don't submit a half-finished product and expect the TGIF organizers to do the leg work for you.

(4) Test your mission thoroughly.  I don't think Volcano or Sean have the time or inclination to do this.

(5)  Make sure to consider their comments carefully; they've been doing this for a long time.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To add a little more color to my prior post....

I started making TGIF missions because I wasn't particularly happy with the kind of missions played at TGIF week after week.  Specifically, I don't care for missions where players have to operate many (read: "more than 1-2") vehicles.  After one particularly unenjoyable mission -- the low point was shepherding a company of 13 tanks over an AVLB bridge one by one -- I decided I could either bitch about things or, instead, take positive action and create the kinds of missions I wanted to play and submit them for consideration.  So, I made the "FEBA Madness" mission.  Volcano was very receptive and, the mission now having been played twice at TGIF, I think it was well-liked by the participants.  Then I decided to make a different type of mission that also featured a reduced vehicle workload for players.  The result was "Peredovoy Otryad '83," which was played a few weeks ago.  It didn't quite achieve my player-workload objective due to pacing issues, but I'm hopeful it will work better with a few tweaks.  And now I'm working on a third mission.  This one has seven rounds of company-sized capture-the-objective engagements (each round, a new company spawns for each side).  I wasn't 100% sure this was right for TGIF, so I pitched the concept to Volcano and, again, he was receptive.

The point is that there was only one design criterion guiding this process: the mission had to satisfy my gameplay objective (low player vehicle workload).  I guess I assumed that the TGIF community would enjoy this kind of mission as a change-of-pace from the usual sprawling tank-fest.  So in terms of your own design efforts, I would say just design whatever you like.  If you have concerns about how it will be received by the community, you can ask V for advice or maybe even put up a post in here asking for opinions from the masses. 

Edited by MDF

On 10/8/2016 at 10:25 PM, MDF said:

I've designed two scenarios which were accepted for TGIF play.  I not sure there are any "criteria," per se, but I would suggest the following, which are probably just common sense.

(1) Volcano is the person to whom candidate missions should be submitted.  I've done so via PM.

(2)  Try to do something unique.  We don't need twenty more "Symmetrical Attack" missions.  Plus, Volcano recently remarked to me that they are looking for fresh/original ideas.   

(3)  Design a *complete* mission.  Don't submit a half-finished product and expect the TGIF organizers to do the leg work for you.

(4) Test your mission thoroughly.  I don't think Volcano or Sean have the time or inclination to do this.

(5)  Make sure to consider their comments carefully; they've been doing this for a long time.

1 hour ago, MDF said:

To add a little more color to my prior post....

I started making TGIF missions because I wasn't particularly happy with the kind of missions played at TGIF week after week.  Specifically, I don't care for missions where players have to operate many (read: "more than 1-2") vehicles.  After one particularly unenjoyable mission -- the low point was shepherding a company of 13 tanks over an AVLB bridge one by one -- I decided I could either bitch about things or, instead, take positive action and create the kinds of missions I wanted to play and submit them for consideration.  So, I made the "FEBA Madness" mission.  Volcano was very receptive and, the mission now having been played twice at TGIF, I think it was well-liked by the participants.  Then I decided to make a different type of mission that also featured a reduced vehicle workload for players.  The result was "Peredovoy Otryad '83," which was played a few weeks ago.  It didn't quite achieve my player-workload objective due to pacing issues, but I'm hopeful it will work better with a few tweaks.  And now I'm working on a third mission.  This one has seven rounds of company-sized capture-the-objective engagements (each round, a new company spawns for each side).  I wasn't 100% sure this was right for TGIF, so I pitched the concept to Volcano and, again, he was receptive.

The point is that there was only one design criterion guiding this process: the mission had to satisfy my gameplay objective (low player vehicle workload).  I guess I assumed that the TGIF community would enjoy this kind of mission as a change-of-pace from the usual sprawling tank-fest.  So in terms of your own design efforts, I would say just design whatever you like.  If you have concerns about how it will be received by the community, you can ask V for advice or maybe even put up a post in here asking for opinions from the masses. 

Thank you for the good amount of info . 

There's certainly different types of player types and preference for TGIF missions.

Hopefully my mission when i upload it , is not too complicated or simple. 

50 minutes ago, ashdivay said:

There's certainly different types of player types and preference for TGIF missions.

Hopefully my mission when i upload it , is not too complicated or simple. 

If you have any doubts about whether it's too simple or too complicated, it probably makes sense to discuss it with Volcano before you put in a ton of work on something that turns out to be unworkable.

• Moderators
On 10/7/2016 at 7:48 PM, Gibsonm said:

Not really, but if that's what you guys are picking as the default setting my attendance at TGIF will continue to decline.

All I can say is that friendly map updates has been in use for years during TGIF, its nothing new.  Some scenarios have it, some don't. The ones that have full map updates are usually ones where time is short and the battle has to be condensed, and the ones that don't stress fog of war, the gathering of intel and good communication.

Anyway, some will always have map updates one way or another, but its not like it is changing recently, and they won't be changed one way or the other outside of what they already are.

The fact is, if it is friendly (or no) map updates then just control less units if it is found to be too stressful or confusing (or control artillery only, or UAV, support, etc -- control of those things are vital too). ;)

• Moderators

14 OCT scenario:

Island Invasion 02-4006-OMU

This is the island invasion by small technologically superior force. Objective is to eliminate the rebel leader. It will be interesting to see how it works now with 4.0 improvements (leader is designated as HVT and looks like a rebel general, Blue Spec Ops have sniper teams, all infantry have grenades, BMP-2 and T-72B1 are present, etc).

Just remember that Blue cannot take heavy losses. There was at least one case where the scenario ended in within 5 minutes because the entire Blue Marine force was destroyed on the beach. Choose the landing location wisely (maybe don't pick the most obvious landing area). ;)

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• There will NOT be a draft.

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

Island Invasion 02-4006-OMU.zip

• Moderators

Traction is at 100%, but yes, you still have to watch your approach and are advised to try to approach at an angle, etc. 

What I like to do is put the platoon into a column right before you reach the beach, then just drive the first vehicle up at a good angle and all AI in the platoon should follow (as long as you don't turn 90 degrees and start driving top speed after you  get on land).

• Moderators

21 OCT scenario:

Island Invasion 02-4006e-OMU

Yes, this one again. We think we found the cause and are working to address the issue. It doesn't seem to be a general network issue. That said, the theory is that Sean's machine/connection should be able to deal with the issue so we want to try it again to know for certain.

So here is the plan - same COs (Colebrook, Blue / Tankhunter, Red), and everyone join the same sides as last time as well. If there are new people attending then they can join the side that is outnumbered from missing participants.

We then go to Planning Phase, and do no planning. Just move the vehicles out of the water deployment zones, and Blue will route them to the island quickly. Start the session, then just let it play for about 3-4 minutes as a test. If it works with no runaway ping message, then we go back, restart and play it normally with the full planning phase time.  If it doesn't work, then we will play a different, smaller scenario.

Either way, good or bad, this will help us find out more information on whether we really do need to blame Tankhunter or not. :P

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

• There will NOT be a draft.  Choose same sides as last time.
  • First attempt will have no planning time. If everything works, we restart and have a full plan phase.
  • If first attempt does not work, we will immediately move to a smaller scenario that should work, and new COs can volunteer for that.

NOTES:

• Avoid studying the enemy's side; only gather intel from the briefing and exposed enemy unit icons (enemy intel), and briefly looking over both sides to figure out which one you want to CO. Anything beyond that ruins the fog of war element.
  • To avoid passwords, open the scenario in Network Session as HOST and choose the side you want to play and go to planning phase. You may briefly look at both sides like this to see which side you want to play or CO on. As CO, once you choose a side, go to that side and create your plan.
  • Remember to play within the TGIF House Rules and SB.com community rules.

Island Invasion 02-4006e-OMU.zip

• Moderators

Sorry, had to update the scenario to "e" with some fixes to the road routes for the "aviation" (pilots) unit, otherwise they wouldn't have reached their destination. Last update I swear. ;)

Apologies if these updates screwed up the saved plan from last TGIF, but the plan would have to be new anyway.

16 minutes ago, RogueSnake79 said:

Where would we be without Sean's precious internet connection...  I vote that for his years of service that we knight him, or make him a saint.

Sir Sean, or St Sean

After the ceremony, we will then award him Tankhunter as a slave. 

112a.jpg

1 hour ago, RogueSnake79 said:

Where would we be without Sean's precious internet connection...  I vote that for his years of service that we knight him, or make him a saint.

Sir Sean, or St Sean

After the ceremony, we will then award him Tankhunter as a slave. 

Yes Yes slaves are the best!