UK Armour Sunday 17 Jan 2016

Tjay

Change of plan. On reflection, the mission we orignall had planned is a little ambitious for us just at the moment. We WILL do it, but probably not for a few weeks.

Instead we will do Panzer Leader's excellent CT Heavy Delay Mission. That needs to be modified to reflect the use of Leo 2A4s and CV90s and the briefing amended appropriately.

Map, briefing and manning list will be posted later this week.

Edited by Tjay

BRIEFING.

Heavy CT Delay (Leo 2A4) v (Soviet) Tank Battalion FD v2.0 (2.654).sce

1. SITUATION

a. Enemy forces

Intelligence estimates RED comprises a reinforced T-72M1 equipped tank battalion (TB) operating as a forward detachment (FD) for its parent regiment. In its role as FD the TB may be reinforced by a motorised rifle company, self-propelled artillery (SPA) battalion, engineer platoon, chemical reconnaissance platoon and self-propelled anti-aircraft artillery section. The FD may have up to 18 tubes from its attached SPA battalion and off-map Regimental Artillery Group firing in support. We believe the FD will advance from the north east and attempt to seize CAUSEWAY to allow the regiment to advance unhindered and capture TOWN. It is likely, if CAUSEWAY is successfully seized, that the FD will continue into our depth to cut off or capture TOWN ahead of the regiment.

b. Friendly forces

You command a combat team (CT) consisting of a squadron of Leo 2A4DK with a cross-attached platoon of M113AS4 and cavalry section of four CV9035-DK for reconnaissance and screening.

The RED axis of advance has taken our forces by surprise and your CT has been rushed ahead of the battle group (BG) to delay the RED advance until BG is able to come up and defend TOWN. Brigade's intent is to establish a line of defence at RIVER and a successful defence of CAUSEWAY should make this possible. To assist you a combat engineer section from BG is laying a disrupt effect minefield in front of CAUSEWAY. Due to the rushed nature of our advance the engineers require another hour to complete laying the minefield. It is imperative you protect the engineers from observation and direct fires until 0540 to allow them to complete their task. They will then withdraw west across CAUSEWAY to regain BG. You should attempt to hold RED at RIVER but if this is not possible you must prevent them advancing west as far as MARS until 0635 to allow advance elements of BG to march east and establish defensive positions immediately behind your CT, in line with MARS. Failure to do so will render the defence of TOWN untenable and risks BG being engaged prematurely during its march east.

Two troops of four M777 155 mm howitzers each firing ICM, HE and Smoke natures are assigned in support. Callsign 19 has first priority for fires followed by callsigns 18 and 31 (refer 5. b.).

c. Attachments and detachments

- An infantry platoon of 4 M113AS4 is attached.

- A cavalry section of four CV9035-DK is attached.

- An M113/FO is attached.

- An echelon comprising 1 M88A1 ARV, 1 MB240 GD, 1 M113 Repair, 1 ASLAV-CS, 1 Supply Truck and 1 M113 Medic is attached.

- A troop of four Leo 2A4DK is detached.

2. MISSION

Protect the combat engineers operating in front of CAUSEWAY from observation and direct fires until 0540 so that they can complete their task. Attempt to hold RED advance at RIVER but if this is not possible prevent RED from crossing MARS until 0635 so that BG can establish defensive positions east of TOWN.

3. EXECUTION

Establish a defence of CAUSEWAY at RIVER. Units may proceed east of CAUSEWAY but must not cross limit of advance (LOA) SATURN. Ensure combat engineers operating in front of CAUSEWAY are protected from observation and direct fire until 0540 so they can successfully complete their disrupt effect minefield. Hold the RED advance at RIVER if possible but if not prevent RED advancing west beyond MARS until 0635 to allow BG to come up and establish defensive positions east of TOWN. The plan to complete this mission is up to you.

5. COMMAND AND SIGNAL

b. Signal

- BG Commanding Officer (CO): 9

- CT Officer Commanding (OC): 19

- CT Forward Observer (FO): 18

- CT cavalry section: 31

- BG combat engineer section: 41

- BG Direct Fire Support Weapon (DFSW) section (FGM-148 Javelin equipped): 61

Good luck!

SCENARIO NOTES:

- The scenario starts at 0445 when it is dark but it will be light enough to see without night vision equipment by approximately 0505.

- The mission will end if RED crosses MARS in more than platoon strength. Maximum mission time is 1:50.

- The BRDM-2 represents the RKhB chemical reconnaissance variant so its 14.5 mm heavy machine gun is disabled.

- BLUE units advancing east beyond LOA SATURN will enter a penalty zone and may be destroyed.

- The RED tank battalion operating as a forward detachment is modelled on Soviet doctrine as articulated in FM 100-2-1 The Soviet Army, Operations and Tactics, 1984, TRADOC Pamphlet 350-16 Heavy Opposing Force (OPFOR) Tactical Handbook, 1994 and 'A Commander's Guide to the Soviet Forward Detachment', Military Review, 1989.

Point taken. Hedge and Crusty may stand down. :clin:

The conventional method of producing a mission plan is that the C.O takes time to work out what he wants to do 'in private' and once he's drawn the graphics on the map, presents them to the assembled company in one go.

In order to encourage newer members to step up to the C.O position in due course, I would like to try and demystify the planning process by conducting it as a 'two-handed tutorial', me being one hand and someone who doesn't know the mission so well being the other. Contributions and questions will be welcome during this process. The result should be that by the time we kick off everyone understands not only WHAT the plan is but WHY it is as it is.

It may or may not work out, but let's give it a go and see how we get on.

Hi, Everyone,

Sorry to say that I cannot make this get-together. I'm contracted to do computer simulation at the local military base. We have a six-day exercise next week including a standard "test day." The test day is Sunday, from 0900 to 1600 local. My local timing for UKA on Sunday is 1400 hrs = "I'm dead in the water." But I have a tank squadron on the exercise, so it'll be good training for future UKA sessions!

Hope all goes well, and I'll be interested to see how the scenario plays out. Good luck! :thumbup:

Hi, Everyone,

Sorry to say that I cannot make this get-together. I'm contracted to do computer simulation at the local military base. We have a six-day exercise next week including a standard "test day." The test day is Sunday, from 0900 to 1600 local. My local timing for UKA on Sunday is 1400 hrs = "I'm dead in the water." But I have a tank squadron on the exercise, so it'll be good training for future UKA sessions!

Hope all goes well, and I'll be interested to see how the scenario plays out. Good luck! :thumbup:

Sounds awesome. We will be glad to see you another time.

As a side note I would like to point out the we will do what we can to help anyone out. So don't be intimidated by large briefings and background stories. All are welcome.

From now on we will work on getting links to background stories, frago and so on so those of us that are interested in them still can read up on it.

As Tjay wrote some time ago. "It's a game not a marriage"

Yep. SOP for announcements on this forum will be: Map(s), mission briefing, and maning list (normally). When appropriate a link will be provided to additional information, back story, etc on the UKA website for those looking for additional 'depth'.

Despite first post is shown deleted the ops is very much on still.

Plz note that this one also will be on UK Armor TS (now upgraded thx to big turnout and Dr Hat)

TS Server: teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077

Also Channel Commander SOP worked like a charm when people got the hang of it.

(:gun: whisper list)

No. Because the idea is that the planning session should be a tutorial - not to come up with a pre-assembled perfect plan. Mission is fairly simple.

In that case it be all the more important to have the sce file in advance.

Otherwise you'll only realy train the CO.(it is very hard to plan on the fly, and at the same time explain in coherant word what and why you are doing)

Vetter to have the CO have a look, consider what to do, and then think about(carefully) how to explain his decission process

My use of the word tutorial was incorrect. The planning phase will be collaborative. I will be asking players questions such as 'Where do you think the enemy's main axis of advance will be?' If I give you a tank platoon to counter that threat, where would you put it?' 'How would you best counter a possible attack through the wooded area to the East?' Etc. Players will be free to comment and ask questions at any time during the process. So by the time the plan is complete everyone will know not only WHAT it is, but Why. Obviously, this will take a bit longer than usual but I believe it to be worthwhile, having done it before with the 'old' UKA. So no map in advance but I will post the briefing so people can know roughly what they are up against.

Precis of briefing for:

Heavy CT Delay Tank Battalion FD v2.1_DK (2.654).sce

1. SITUATION

a. Enemy forces

Intelligence estimates RED comprises a reinforced T-64 equipped tank battalion (TB) operating as a forward detachment (FD) for its parent regiment. In its role as FD the TB may be reinforced by a motorised rifle company, self-propelled artillery battalion, engineer platoon, chemical reconnaissance platoon and self-propelled anti-aircraft artillery section. The FD may have up to 18 tubes from its attached SPA battalion and off-map Regimental Artillery Group firing in support. We believe the FD will advance from the north east and attempt to seize a causeway across a river leading to a town to allow the regiment to advance unhindered and capture a town about 3km to the West. It is likely, if the causeway is successfully seized, that the FD will continue into our depth to cut off or capture the town ahead of the regiment.

b. Friendly forces

You command a combat team (CT) consisting of TWO PLATOONSof Leopard 2A4 with a cross-attached platoon of 4 x CV9035-DK.

The RED axis of advance has taken our forces by surprise and your CT has been rushed ahead of the battle group (BG) to delay the RED advance until BG is able to come up and defend the town. Brigade's intent is to establish a line of defence at the river crossing and a successful defence of the causeway should make this possible. To assist you a combat engineer section from BG is laying a disrupt effect minefield in front of the causeway Due to the rushed nature of our advance the engineers require another hour to complete laying the minefield. It is imperative you protect the engineers from observation and direct fires until 0710 to allow them to complete their task. They will then withdraw west across CAUSEWAY to regain BG. You should attempt to hold RED east of the river but if this is not possible you must prevent them advancing west until 0805 to allow advance elements of BG to march east and establish defensive positions immediately behind your CT.

The reinforcements may not arrive due to scripting problems so we will stop the mission once we have started our withdrawal to the West.

Two troops of four M109A2 155 mm howitzers each firing ICM, HE and Smoke natures are assigned in support. Callsign 0B has first priority for fires.

c. Attachments and detachments

An echelon comprising 1 CRARRV, 1 FV432, 1 FV434 Fitter's Vehicle and 1 FV432 Medic is attached.

2. MISSION

Protect the combat engineers operating in front of the causewy from observation and direct fires until 0540 so that they can complete their task. Attempt to hold RED advance east of the river, but if this is not possible prevent RED from crossing a phase line called MARS until 0635 so that BG can establish defensive positions east of the town.

3. EXECUTION

Establish a defence of the causeway that crosses the river. Units may proceed east of the causeway but must not cross limit the FEBA. Ensure combat engineers operating in front of the causeway are protected from observation and direct fire until 0710 so they can successfully complete their disrupt effect minefield. Hold the RED advance at the river. If they manage to cross the causway, engage and destroy as many as possible before withdrawing west towards the town.

Good luck!

Edited by Tjay

Second thoughts on map. Image above is the start position with some of the graphics that Panzer Leader had already applied to it - such as main and secondary axis of enemy advance - removed. Those planning to attend can therefore relate this to the briefing, but we will have to rely on terrain analysis to determine the details. Which is the whole point of the exercise.

I hope as many experienced members as possible (as well as those wishing to learn about the planning process) will show to share their expertise. Although this is bound to make for a longer planning/briefing session than normal, there should be plenty of time left to conduct the mission itself.

Please note that the friendly force level has been severely reduced due to units being delayed en-route, breaking down, and diverted elsewhere by Brigade. Changes are highlighted in BOLD CAPs in the mission briefing, but basically we have lost one tank platoon and the platoon of ASLAVs. But if we play our cards right we should still be able to fulfill our task. :clin: