Upgrading the CR2.

Tjay

1 hour ago, Marko said:

I suppose the theory is two regiments of modern capable tanks is worth more then three or four regiments of less capable tanks.

Odd coming from someone who used to embrace "quantity has a quality all its own" when in the Soviet VU. ;)

1 hour ago, Marko said:

Watched a very interesting interview on the BBC news last night by a recently retired senior British army general.

He was being very diplomatic but he stated clearly the British army needs to modernism some of its conventional equipment

Its a shame he did not make his case more aggressively when he was a serving senior officer.

I suppose its career suicide to rock the boat like most large organisations The out spoken very rarely progress.

Well not really.

Its more a case of serving people are not allowed to speak against announced Government policy. The fact that you are "serving" implies you agree (at least publicly).

If you don't agree, stop serving.

Once you leave, you regain (within limits) an ability to critique the system.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Odd coming from someone who used to embrace "quantity has a quality all its own" when in the Soviet VU. ;)

LoL.

I still do depending on the Era 1950/60/70s IMO, the soviets would have overwhelmed Nato forces by sheer numbers

As they did in WW2 against the Wehrmacht and other Axis forces

But when smart munitions and advancements in Tank fire controls etc. started to be introduced in the 80's the soviets lost there advantage.

18 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

On 9.11.2016 at 3:10 AM, Maj.Hans said:

Russia has always envied the Baltic states, after all, they invaded Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, AND Poland 

Edit: Sorry, got mixed up the words invade and occupy.

Edited by Abaddon

43 minutes ago, rump said:

I wonder if the whole Brexit debacle will play a part in the decision.

There's a lot at stake, trade wise between the two nations.

And to be honest is buying second hand older generation tanks the best option.

Unless there up to A7 standard. only speculation on my part but I was under the impression the CR-2 had thicker and better armour then the leo-2

No argument about the fire control system the leo-2 wins hands down also the smoothbore on the leo is superior.

mobility wise the leo has a stronger engine with more horse power.

But I have been told the suspension system on the CR-2 is pretty decent.

9 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Maybe buying Armata will yield positive headlines. ¬¬

Well the president elect is cosying up to putin maybe the right honourable Theresa may should. LoL

With out turning this thread political, chancellor merkel telling the Uk government what it can ant cant do in relation to brexit

does not help relations and UK public opinion.

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

No, it's not. The spin rate must be much higher than fin stabilization can attain.

Which leads me to two questions:

1. Why?  Says who?  I personally just don't buy that.  I am certain that it is possible to get a projectile that will flatten it's nose against a target to achieve the desired HESH effect without having to spin it at some crazy speed.

ETA: Case in point: "Malkara" HESH ATGM...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malkara_(missile)

A Malkara can be seen being launched here, apparently without much if any spin:

I submit that if you can make a HESH ATGM, then you can make a HESH-FS.

2. Why bother trying to persist with HESH anyway?  The way I understand it, it's inferior as an anti-armor round due to the way it penetrates armor.  Spaced/layered arrays are very resistant to it.  Furthermore, because it was made to squash against an object before detonation, it's case isn't as effective at making fragmentation as a dedicated HE or HE-Frag round.  So it is a dual purpose round that's not the best at either thing.

Edited by Maj.Hans

• Members

1) That's what I've been told all the years by HESH users; that you can have an impact only in a relatively narrow velocity band so the explosive mass doesn't disintegrate before it's set off, and that a high spin rate was needed to distribute the explosive mass over the target surface in an optimal way. Maybe that's BS, but as far as I know the British decision to go with a rifled 120mm gun was largely dictated by the desire to keep firing HESH. That might indicate a functional requirement for a rifled gun.

That said, maybe it was dictated by existing stocks of 120mm HESH rounds purchased for Conqueror tanks a decade before (IOW, penny-wise and pound foolish, a recurring theme), and the existing STOCK demanded a rifled gun.

2) I don't know. I agree with all your points. But then again, we're talking about Britain in general, the MoD in particular, and the Army. Making sense is strictly optional.

On 1/8/2017 at 5:00 AM, Ssnake said:

1) That's what I've been told all the years by HESH users; that you can have an impact only in a relatively narrow velocity band so the explosive mass doesn't disintegrate before it's set off, and that a high spin rate was needed to distribute the explosive mass over the target surface in an optimal way. Maybe that's BS, but as far as I know the British decision to go with a rifled 120mm gun was largely dictated by the desire to keep firing HESH. That might indicate a functional requirement for a rifled gun.

That said, maybe it was dictated by existing stocks of 120mm HESH rounds purchased for Conqueror tanks a decade before (IOW, penny-wise and pound foolish, a recurring theme), and the existing STOCK demanded a rifled gun.

2) I don't know. I agree with all your points. But then again, we're talking about Britain in general, the MoD in particular, and the Army. Making sense is strictly optional.

Well...I submit that in terms of technical difficulty, it may be easier to make a HESH round that will be spin-assisted to distribute it's explosive, but still...

Further to point one, I submit the "Gammon Bomb" or "Gammon Grenade" as a SECOND example of a British weapon using the HESH effect.  This time the weapon is a soft cloth bag filled with plastic explosives, and which detonates upon contact with a target.  Essentially when thrown at a tank it will squish and detonate, thus damaging the vehicle by HESH effect......And it's a freaking bag grenade that you throw...

Also, I agree completely.  The British MOD has done very few things that made sense.

Off the top of my head, I think the Tornado was a great aircraft.  Buying the F-4 Phantom II was a great idea.  Just so happens that Germany also did both of those things...Aaaaaand........................I can't think of anything else they did that I liked.

On 1/11/2017 at 7:07 AM, Maj.Hans said:

Well...I submit that in terms of technical difficulty, it may be easier to make a HESH round that will be spin-assisted to distribute it's explosive, but still...

Further to point one, I submit the "Gammon Bomb" or "Gammon Grenade" as a SECOND example of a British weapon using the HESH effect.  This time the weapon is a soft cloth bag filled with plastic explosives, and which detonates upon contact with a target.  Essentially when thrown at a tank it will squish and detonate, thus damaging the vehicle by HESH effect......And it's a freaking bag grenade that you throw...

Also, I agree completely.  The British MOD has done very few things that made sense.

Off the top of my head, I think the Tornado was a great aircraft.  Buying the F-4 Phantom II was a great idea.  Just so happens that Germany also did both of those things...Aaaaaand........................I can't think of anything else they did that I liked.

Malayan "Emergency"?

Avro Vulcan?

EE Lightning?

On 1/12/2017 at 4:20 PM, Hedgehog said:

Malayan "Emergency"?

Avro Vulcan?

EE Lightning?

Malayan Emergency....Maybe.

Avro Vulcan, OK, I'll give you that one, if only because of the 'Black Buck' raids AKA "Surprise you Argie jerks!  SPECIAL DELIVERY!"...However it's a totally butt-fugly plane.  I would say it's the butt-fugliest of all, but you brought up the...

EE Lightning.  Even more butt-fugly than the Avro Vulcan.  So butt-fugly that it makes the Vulcan look good if you park them next to each other.  An ugly only a mother could love.  Good performance as an interceptor, but absolutely horrible armament!  Who in their right mind makes such a great point defense interceptor and then puts a bunch of crap on it for weapons!?  Two missiles that only work on a clear, cloudless day, and they're toxic?

I'll give the MOD credit for a few more things...

Buying the Jaguar, good idea, worked well in Iraq IIRC.

British forces did a bang up job of stomping all over the Argies, despite having to go to the other end of the world with outdated, obsolete, and lacking equipment.  The effort to "Put Sidewinders on all the things!" like the Harrier Gr.3's converted for shipboard use, the Nimrods, etc.  In my estimation it turned into a case of Argentina's second-rate, surplus-based 'most of our stuff is from WW2' military getting it's butt kicked by Britain's second-rate, budget-starved '1960's is still state of the art, right?' navy, after it sailed to the other end of the globe.

Bonus style points for the "Hey, hold my pint and watch this!" act of realizing their SeaSlug SAMs were worthless as SAMs, and then turning them into an ad-hoc land attack rocket.

On 1/14/2017 at 4:28 PM, Maj.Hans said:

Bonus style points for the "Hey, hold my pint and watch this!" act of realizing their SeaSlug SAMs were worthless as SAMs, and then turning them into an ad-hoc land attack rocket.

Sea Slugs were converted from the Malkara AT missile.

11 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Sea Slugs were converted from the Malkara AT missile.

Are you SURE about that?

Malkara is from the 50's, and is a subsonic ATGM...Wire guided MCLOS, etc...

Sea Slug is from the 60's and it's a super-sonic beam rider, with a liquid fueled sustainer and four solid fuel boosters...

AFAIK they are completely unrelated, except that they're ugly like most British military technology. ;)

4 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

Are you SURE about that?

Malkara is from the 50's, and is a subsonic ATGM...Wire guided MCLOS, etc...

Sea Slug is from the 60's and it's a super-sonic beam rider, with a liquid fueled sustainer and four solid fuel boosters...

AFAIK they are completely unrelated, except that they're ugly like most British military technology. ;)

Oh it might be Sea Cat  

Or Sea Something....

I know the missile before the Sea Slug was developed from the Malkara

I dunno, they were probably  all designed to shoot down the Tu-95....

11 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

Oh it might be Sea Cat  

Or Sea Something....

I know the missile before the Sea Slug was developed from the Malkara

I dunno, they were probably  all designed to shoot down the Tu-95....

Sea Cat I think shared the basic air frame with Malkara.

Any of them probably would have been more than good enough to blot a Tu-95 out of the sky.  It's no wonder that Sea Slug was effective against land targets though, since it had a pretty good size warhead and a bunch of liquid fuel that would probably start one hell of a fire...