"Visual cheat" concerning skin textures? (Making the M4CZ into the B3)

JustSomeGuy

Hi. Since I'm sick and tired of my nation's army's (NATO member and whatnot) T-72M4CZs representing zee evil OpFor MBTs in pretty much everyone else's screenshots and scenarios, I am seriously considering making a visual mod that would turn the default T-72M4 into the T-72B3 the Russians are apparently offering in their "rent a tank for vacation!" service.

However, the B3 lacks the CITV the M4CZ has. And while most of the M4CZ could be visually modified to at least resemble the B3, M4CZ's CITV is visually HUGE. I mean this:

oV9vmvw.jpg

Soooo... Is there a way to "visually disappear" the CITV turret entirely using only textures, for example, through an alpha-channel or color of some sorts?

Pre-emptive notes:

1) such a mod shouldn't be an unfair game disadvantage ("game cheat"), because nobody's aiming for the CITV anyway and for the random shots, it would still be "physically" there. It would only be a "visual cheat" to get around the inability to add new 3D models as a user.

2) I think that the resulting visual should not look awkward, since as far as I understand the way SBPro renders textures, there should be regular tank turret top underneath the "disappeared" CITV turret

Well I agree with this... M4CZ, is awesome tank in the many ways. And its pure pity it is used to simulate Russian T72 in so many missions. :(

Im guessing... trouble is, that even with the mod, it would not change this behavior of those who create missions. It just looks so evil cause it starts with t72... that seems to have very unfortunate reputation being so evil. Without no real reason. Hell.. Even Finnish army used T-72s in the past <.<

I kind of think, that things would change a lot if it would become crew-able vehicle. Then it would more likely be seen more on blue side and gain more LOVE than before. - Thought.. most likely even then be used as T72B3 replica >.<, cause lack of worthy clearly opfor opponents for modern western tanks.

Just wanted to stop by and say.that this is an awesome mod that's probably been a long time coming!

I think the only other change to make is to disable the CITV (or only it's thermal channel if any?) In the mission builder?

Actually, maybe Esim could incorporate this mod in the next patch as "OPFOR T72B3" as a new tank to allow for upgrades as time allows to armor modeling and ammunition?

Rotareneg, it somehow doesn't work for me.

In SB, it has the CITV, and in the DDS, I can see the CITV turret undeleted.

I am using Paint.NET to edit SB PRO textures, but the procedure should be the same: how do you work with the DDS alpha channel? Do you "make it transparent" using the "delete tool" so that you see the typical "checker board", or do you somehow designate rgb(0,0,0) as "transparent" and then save it that way?

Thanks

JSG

Rotareneg, it somehow doesn't work for me.

In SB, it has the CITV, and in the DDS, I can see the CITV turret undeleted.

I am using Paint.NET to edit SB PRO textures, but the procedure should be the same: how do you work with the DDS alpha channel? Do you "make it transparent" using the "delete tool" so that you see the typical "checker board", or do you somehow designate rgb(0,0,0) as "transparent" and then save it that way?

Thanks

JSG

I've never used Paint.NET before so I tried it on my laptop and was running into the same problem until I realized it was SB itself that was causing the trouble: You need the same file in both the mods\textures\woodland folder AND the mods\textures\woodland\us folders, for example, otherwise it it will load the RGB texture data fine, but not the transparency! :confused:

The eraser tool works, just save the file as DXT5 with mipmaps enabled and place the .dds file in both the root season folder and the country folder.

So, when using Rotareng's tip, I'm finally moving onwards.

WIP 0.1:

DM1R42Z.jpg

- CITV removed

- GPS changed to Sosna-U

- skirts changed to T-72B3-like painted

- color adjusted to match B3 gray-ish green camo more (I don't like how I did it; I might have to redo that using different method)

- attempted to modify DYNA-72 ERA to resemble Kontakt-5 more by deleting it's sides, but the result is awfull - I'll have to think out another way:

Xu6BWxf.jpg

OK, I re-did this using desert camo as a basis instead of the woodland one:

zmUQO3h.jpg

This is as far as I think I could push it while unable to edit the model itself...

It has been submitted for approval in the T-72 mods/downloads section.

EDIT: http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/283/p13_fileid/2737

I would recommend first copying the original "T-72M4CZ.dds" into the "woodland\cs\" subfolder, so that the Czech Army would retain it's U-2500 NATO camo when used as a distinct faction with the editor's "Camouflage scheme" set to "cs", and only then replacing the "T-72M4CZ.dds" original in the "woodland" and "woodland\ru\" folders with my "B3-ish" texture.

Edited by JustSomeGuy

• 4 weeks later...

When swapping the two tanks in the map editor it's also important to make sure you change capabilities:

- Disable the commanders sight, as the T72B3 lacks the commanders pano sigh that the M4 has.

-Does the T72B3 have the anti-lase protection?

The T72B3 is capable of firing an ATGM, whereas I don't think the M4 is capable.

It may be easier to just use the in game T90 and disable some of the features. Both the T90 and the B3 look similar.

• 2 weeks later...