SB Control Menu

Tango29

Hi,

My old graphics card gave up the ghost last week. My new one (Radeon HD 6970: matches my elderly computer) was fitted this week, concurrent with having some minor maintenance work done. Computer is working well, and I have an upgraded image when I run SB: very nice. However, it seems that my joystick controls have gone a bit strange, so I called up the SB control page to sort things out. Unfortunately, my attempts to "sort things out" have been less than totally successful. I'd now like to cancel out the current joystick buttonology and, hopefully, reset the buttons to "the way it was."

I'd like to find an explanation of the various control buttons on the Control Menu, as I'm not sure just what each might do. For example:

CANCEL - does this cancel the last entry I made, or does it cancel all of the entries I made, or does it cancel...whatever it cancels?

CLEAR - same as above: clear one entry, or all entries or all settings?

DEFAULTS - return the menu to the original SB defaults? Make the current settings (including the ones I just entered) defaults?

EXPORT/IMPORT - to, or from, where?

SAVE TO HTML - no ides what this does.

So, yes, I'm getting on in years and "Hi-Tech" to me is carbon paper and Gestetner machines. (Those who know me will smile as they recall what"my favourite tank" is!). Accordingly, I'd appreciate being pointed towards a detailed guide on the care, feeding and use of the Control Menu. Alternatively, a five minute lesson would also be most welcome. TIA for any assistance! :biggrin:

Edited by Tango29
Punctuation glitch!

CLEAR clears (only) the whole line you currently highlighted for adjustments, so it will be void of any bindings after you clear it.

CANCEL cancels your visit of the controls menu, so you return to the main menu without saving any made adjustments.

DEFAULTS basically clears all adjustments you ever made to all the controls and overwrites them with the default configuration.

EXPORT exports your controls into the displayed folder

IMPORT offers you to read any of your exports.

SAVE TO HTML creates a printable summary of all your control configurations.

Hey, Rongor!

That was quick: many thanks! This will be a real help. I'll take it from here and see how it goes. Thanks again! :luxhello:

Oh, yeah: my favourite tank? Centurion 5, the one I trained on 48 years ago. Told you my "hi-tech" was carbon paper! :bigsmile:

OK, looks as if I've got the buttonology set...almost. For some reason, my button 4 does not want to toggle the TIS magnification. But the system will do the magnification toggle using the "N" key. Is there a way around this, or am I possibly looking at a broken button (although it seems to be all right)? As before, TIA for any ideas! :)

Yes, I am experiencing similar behavior with some mouse- and joystick-buttons, which get recognized while assigning them in the controls menu but still don't show any effect within the game.

No idea what the solution may be, just wanted to confirm your observation...

Yes, I am experiencing similar behavior with some mouse- and joystick-buttons, which get recognized while assigning them in the controls menu but still don't show any effect within the game.

No idea what the solution may be, just wanted to confirm your observation...

Thanks. Nice to know that the problem is shared. If I solve the riddle I'll let you know ASAP! :thumbup:

Tjay had his setup for the CV9035dk and when we tested it it worked like a charm then the next time he couldn't get anything to work and tried a lot of things he fixed it by going back to default and then setting everything up again and it worked (He blame the gremlins) but it sounds like something alike

Best regards

MD

What I do with the settings/configuration* files in my games is make a copy of the file and make it read only (RA). This is done while in game and alt-tab to desktop and explore too the directory and file directly "live".

*on games that don't have importing and multi-user profile functions via in-game menu I use a generic mod enabler (JSGME) to switch between them.

"Buttons 1...4 are hardcoded in SB Pro (1 - Fire, 2 - Laser, 3 - palm switch/override/dynamic lead, 4 - I don't remember). We might change that in future versions, but this is how it is right now." (Ssnake, 2015)

So that's why I can't rejig Button 4: hardcoded. Now to find out what it's hardcoded to do (check the control menu), then realign Buttons 5 and 6. No requirement to check for a broken button, although I do like what I've read about the Thrustmaster...! :men_ani:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Apologies for asking if this is obvious but cannot find it so far in any manuals.

Is there any way of mapping joystick axis for moving? Think I see how to do the buttons but not axis.

Many thanks

There you can at least invert the Y-axis.(simply press Shift+J)

But can you be a bit more specific in what you want to achieve?

I was hoping to use joystick throttle and joystick axis for moving and turning rather than key presses

If you have programming software for your joystick which allows you to separate the axes into "bands" and map those bands to key presses, you can do it. Although it's less than an ideal solution.

Besides that, you'll lose the ability to slew the gun. Which is fine, if you only want to be a driver.

If you have programming software for your joystick which allows you to separate the axes into "bands" and map those bands to key presses, you can do it. Although it's less than an ideal solution.

Besides that, you'll lose the ability to slew the gun. Which is fine, if you only want to be a driver.

Ok thanks for explaining. From what you are saying best to stick to mouse and keyboard only then as having some things on joystick buttons which seems to be on the default set up is no help as you will be switching backwards and forwards for no good purpose. Will start the tutorials with keyboard and see how I go before mapping the joystick. Interested to see how others do it having just purchased the sim.

I actually use the keyboard, mouse and a joystick. (Actually, a HOTAS: the Saitek X-52.) I have the mouse sitting just to the right of my joystick. I usually keep my right hand on the stick (for operating the gun/looking around) and my left hand on the keyboard (for driving, view changes, popping smoke, etc.) When necessary, I can easily switch over to the mouse to add graphics to the map, plot a route or whatever.

The X-52 does have the ability to split the axes into "bands" and it also has a number of hat switches on the stick and throttle. My solution was to use the throttle axis to control the vehicle's speed, and a hat switch to control direction. The way I did it was to split the forward movement of the throttle into three bands - each set to emulate a "W" key press. That way, if I move the throttle slightly forward, the vehicle moves forward at slow speed. A little more and it moves at fast speed, etc. The only drawback is that if I move the throttle 66% forward (fast speed) then back to 33%, the input is not "X" (slow speed), but another "W" (top speed). (If that makes sense.) Like I said: less than ideal.

Backward motion of the throttle is set to first stop the vehicle, then move in reverse.

Anyway, after trying it out for a while, I decided that it's just easier (for me) to use the keyboard. Like most games (or sims), you get a muscle memory after playing it for a while so that you really don't even need to look at the keys very often. I think that's true with whatever setup you decide is most comfortable for you. Now, my throttle isn't even sitting on my desk. But that's the beauty of it: I can use any combination I choose at any time.

On a side note: the X-52 also has a mouse emulator on the throttle in the form of a tiny joystick (much like the little button some laptops have in the middle of the keyboard) and a dedicated "left-click" button next to it. So, in theory, I would never need to take my hands off of the HOTAS, except to type some text. But, I find that an actual mouse is quicker and more accurate for most tasks.

Finally, I'd just like to add that [literally] spending hours making a complicated profile for my HOTAS did nothing to make me a better virtual tanker. That only came with actually using the sim for what it was designed for: to learn effective tactics for armored combat. And I'm still learning. ;)

Hi

Thanks for that explanation. That is exactly what I was thinking about originally.

Very interesting to hear what you did although as you say the throttle situation seems to be bit of a stumbling block. I have an X-52 also so very pertinant comments.

Perhaps I should try with the keyboard first. It was just watching numerous videos I was struck by the need to keep shuffling about with the turret and vehicle as well as the sights all at the same time.

Well I will plunge in with some tutorials first and see what suits.

Many thanks again

Finally, I'd just like to add that [literally] spending hours making a complicated profile for my HOTAS did nothing to make me a better virtual tanker. That only came with actually using the sim for what it was designed for: to learn effective tactics for armored combat. And I'm still learning. ;)

Interesting. I think you can get away with one profile for most tanks - depending on how many buttons/hat switches there are on your joystick throttle. E.G I just use my CH Pro Throttle as a convenient location for programmable buttons; I came across the same problems as you when trying to use actual throttle function for movement in SB, so I use it simply as a location for HOTAS functions.

But I've found different profiles for different vehicles are useful if you chop and change. E.G the Bradley and the CV90 require quite different functions, so unless you have LOTS of programmable buttons, specific profiles help a lot.

2p plse. :clin:

• Members

There were a number of reasons why we decided to go with just three speed settings for the vehicle; partly because as a vehicle commander you wouldn't tell the driver to keep a specific speed; in tactical situations there are actually only two reasonable commands - as fast as possible, or really slow and careful. We added medium for those who can't decide. ;)

Second, we wanted the joystick (if one is used) to be able to control the view, so you can't have both. Maybe we could have made that configurable, but we didn't. Situational awareness is more important than fine control over your tank's movement.

Finally, you have no fine control over your tank's movement as the vehicle commander. You TELL the driver to turn left or right and rely a bit on his experience, common sense, temperament, and what he can see (usually not that much). If you want fine control, go to the driver's place. There you can use the joystick to drive the tank (and not to look around).

All this was done to reflect in the best possible way the actual experience on board of a tank, not to find the most comfortable user interface (because the real-life interface is somewhat clunky as well). We entertained the idea of adding a .5 ... 1 second delay between driving command and actual execution but figured that this would be too frustrating. So, we're capable of compromise. ;)

Hi

Thanks for that explanation. That is exactly what I was thinking about originally.

Very interesting to hear what you did although as you say the throttle situation seems to be bit of a stumbling block. I have an X-52 also so very pertinant comments.

Perhaps I should try with the keyboard first. It was just watching numerous videos I was struck by the need to keep shuffling about with the turret and vehicle as well as the sights all at the same time.

Well I will plunge in with some tutorials first and see what suits.

Many thanks again

You are welcome to join one of our "basic" trainning sessions with us.

We try and cover the real basic stuff in the beginning. I am sure Cracker Jack can confirm it. Did a session with him and Zaphod yesterday that went very well.

He also started with joystick for movement and ended up killing a bunch of trees. Was pretty happy with controls when session ended.

Or you can PM me and we can do a special movement/controls game if you are up for it.

• 5 years later...
3 hours ago, Toxzic said:

how can i change the x-axis with the r-axis (joystick twist axis or rudder)? screenshot here. trying to emulate bmp gunner control handle movement  (joystick twist to traverse turret).

This is not possible with in-game tools to my knowledge. Purpose of 'Configure Driver Axes' menu is  setting-up of input device  for driver's  position only; in other words- how your game controller would work in F9 view.