Rheinmetall to propose Puma IFV Australian land 400 tender

Crusty

Looks an interesting vehicle, also of interest is that they expect GD and LM to team up and submit to the trials a vehicle developed for the British army, which must be AJAX, it'll be interesting to see how it fares.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/february_2016_global_defense_security_news_industry/rheinmetall_to_propose_puma_infantry_fighting_vehicle_for_australian_land_400_phase_3_tender_11602162.html

Considering the record price tag the Puma usually is associated with, the Germans probably could have saved themselves from the trip to Down Under. Too little Bang for too big Coin.

Have never been a fan of the Puma myself.

Also, technical "superiority" compensates for numerical inferiority only to a certain degree - and not beyond. I do not know how big or small the Australian Army's troop level is - but I know its a damn big place they need to negotiate even if just counting the coastal areas.

I never expected much international demand for the Puma - if any. It simply is too expensive.

Finally, the CV-90 series is a design they have experience with now. The Puma is unproven. And - again, too expensive.

• Members

The CV90 is close to its weight growth limit already. And vehicles tend to stay in service a looong time, and they only know one direction for the weight development. Also, the Puma offers a substantially higher protection level. But in the end, who knows which factors will be considered decisive in the end.

the Puma IFV is superior to the CV90 on all accounts, first and foremost because it has an unmanned turret. basically what this means, is that the crew is not exposed to danger when the vehicle is in a hull-down position. it's similar in design to the T-15 Armata and kurganets

although the Armata is heavier.

Puma IFV also has a revolutionary engine, the MTU-890, which is the worlds most compact AFV engine, delivering a staggering 206Nm per liter, compared to the MTU MB-873 in the leopard 2A4, which only delivers 166Nm per liter of cylinder volume.

the CV90 engine similarly only delivers 164Nm per liter of cylinder volume.

I have never seen a quoted 'Recommended Retail Price' for any military vehicle. Where is it published?

If you google for search terms of comparing IFVs and costs, you will find many sites and discussions where usually the common IFV models in use get compared. The prices for every model vary from source to source but usually within one site or source the Puma is listed with 30-40% higher costs per unit than any other. I also still am not convinced of the turret and armament, especially the secondary. The Puma has taken heavy flak from beginning on for its high costs. That the program suffered so many setbacks, namely with the turret and armament, did not help to justify these exhausting spendings. The Marder was maybe the best of its kind when it was released, certainly claimed to be the best protected in its class. Still, AFAIK the Germans failed in getting it sold to anyone else. Beside the weight, it too was too expensive in its time.

the Puma IFV is superior to the CV90 on all accounts, first and foremost because it has an unmanned turret. basically what this means, is that the crew is not exposed to danger when the vehicle is in a hull-down position. it's similar in design to the T-15 Armata and kurganets

although the Armata is heavier.

Puma IFV also has a revolutionary engine, the MTU-890, which is the worlds most compact AFV engine, delivering a staggering 206Nm per liter, compared to the MTU MB-873 in the leopard 2A4, which only delivers 166Nm per liter of cylinder volume.

the CV90 engine similarly only delivers 164Nm per liter of cylinder volume.

Well I might add that:

The CV is a combat veteran in both Afgan, and Africa conflicts.

Has given stellar performance.

Is wide spread, thus common within NATO supply system.

And Has better ground pressure for those difficult place one might find it self in.

Not taking away from German engineering, however, we first should see how this new AFV does before giving into to the sales pitch. If it preforms within the same great service as it's predecessor then we have a winner :luxhello:, but lets wait and see how all this new stuff works in this platform first :wink2:.

how does the Puma compare to the Marder in the armor cat.?

4-5 times thicker side and rear protection, and completely mine resistant.

armor is also completely modular like this picture shows:

gZ23bZT.jpg

floor armor thickness can be seen in this picture:

Sch%C3%BCtzenpanzer_Puma_(Kampfraum).jpg

front hull armour can be seen in this picture:

Ml8ASA5.jpg

no other western IFV comes even close to that kind of thickness.

even the heaviest protected CV90 is glass compared to this.