ATI Crossfire no go?

GaryR

If I enable crossfire the game won't even start, anything I can do/set? Sure would be nice to be able to use both cards, it isn't like this is bleeding edge technology...

Vista 32 Premium

AMD FX-60

4GB Corsair

2 - 512MB ATI XT1900 Crossfire

2- 500GB HD

Antec 850W True Power

etc.

It hasn't been tested. If it requires special changes to support it, then no, it will not work. This is the first time I can recall someone mentioning it...

I can work around it, but no one else playing SB2 PE has a Crossfire system?? How about an SLI card?

• Administrators

I recall someone mentioning a nvidia SLI setup - they said it worked ok on it. I can't find the thread right now, though. The likely difference between the two is that nvidia does not require changes on the developers end to get it working, and ATI's does.

Maybe someone has a crossfire setup working and will chime and and explain how to set it up....

I'm currently running ATI HD3870s in Crossfire and have had no problems running Steel Beasts Pro with Crossfire on (or off for that matter) Also I ran it in the past with X1900XTs in crossfire and had no troubles there either.

I don't know if there was a benefit however as I haven't tried doing any benchmarking or testing of performance.

AFAIK the 'Catalyst AI' setting in the ATI Catalyst Control Centre can have a large impact on peformance with Crossfire (and even create/solve crashes)

Marco

I'm currently running ATI HD3870s in Crossfire and have had no problems running Steel Beasts Pro with Crossfire on (or off for that matter) Also I ran it in the past with X1900XTs in crossfire and had no troubles there either.

I don't know if there was a benefit however as I haven't tried doing any benchmarking or testing of performance.

AFAIK the 'Catalyst AI' setting in the ATI Catalyst Control Centre can have a large impact on peformance with Crossfire (and even create/solve crashes)

Marco

I did a little more work and it wasn't the ATI Crossfire that was causing the issue. I have been using ATI Tray Tools to adjust the Gamma in-game as my Viewsonic P225fb CRT was too dark in most FPS games even at it's brightest settings. If I set my ATI cards to run in Crossfire with the ATI Tray Tools driver running it did two things. One, most 3D programs would crash. Two, if I brought up CCC it would show the Crossfire tickbox empty. I would select it, close, and reopen it.. unticked. Obviously a conflict with Tray Tools and Crossfire. Killed TT and now all is well using the CAT 8.7 drivers. I would like more in-game brightness controls but I like the higher FSAA and Anistropic filtering I get using both cards and 1 GB of video memory...

• 2 weeks later...