Ulan/ASCOD questions

JustSomeGuy

I am working on AČR retexture of the Ulan to make it as much ASCOD-2 as possible and:

1) I am wondering whether there are Ulan interior textures translated into English, akin the CV-90's http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/332/p13_fileid/2356 somewhere? I am unable to find any such file, but then again, I cannot even see Ulan folder in the downloads\skins folder.

2) Since I didn't find "Ulan" folder, I attempted to upload my Ulan retexture into the SB Pro skin's main folder. Is that correct?

3) Does anybody know if ASCOD 2's (Ajax etc.) headlights are really integrated into the rubber skirts, as it seems? I am considering making the "Ulan" headlights invisible and instead place headlights texture on the front rubber skirts to make it look like ASCOD 2... But I don't want for it to look dumb/unrealistic. What do you think?

Attached is the detail on real vehicles.

ASCOD_1-2.jpg.c48a2c9c021f620e116982e3ee

ASCOD_1-2.jpg.c48a2c9c021f620e116982e3ee

1. I am not aware that anyone has created one yet.

2. The Ulan INT textures go in the same directory as the exterior textures.

So you would put all your mod textures in the mod folder like this windows 7 example:

C: Libraries/Documents/eSim Games/Steel Beasts/mods/textures/woodland/us

In this example, your textures would only appear in a Sce. with a woodland theme, and the US chose as the nationality. The main Ulan interior textures are: UlanINTparts1.dds, UlanINTparts2.dds, and Ulan TurretHi.dds.

There is at least one texture used in the interior that will not work inside the mods folder. It would have to be replaced inside the games main folder. So I'm not sure if you want to do that. In the game main directory, in the folder "images", the file ulanIntSrc1.bmp. This texture is were things like "HW1 SCHUSS", "DGZ POSITION", and the numbers for the digital displays are mapped.

Of course, if you want to create a full English interior, you would need to edit this. But, it would be something that would not be as simple to install/replace/revert as things placed into the mods folder, and a backup of the original would need to be made. And this new "ulanIntSrc1.bmp" would "always" be used, no matter what the settings of the Sce. or the contents of the "mods" folder.

3. As to your other questions, Dejawolf created the exterior model for the Ulan, he would know more about the headlights.

In addition to what Rotareng says, the Ulan folder is also not visible from the "SB Pro > skins" folder listing:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/255

But thanks for creating it, Sean.

RogueSnake79: I am slightly confused: the CV-90 english panel translations doesn't suffer the same problem as Ulan, i.e. having to replace the panel textures in the main folder instead of only in the "nation-specific skin folder", or it does and people simply don't care and replace the finnish panel labels for english globally anyway?

RogueSnake79: I am slightly confused: the CV-90 english panel translations doesn't suffer the same problem as Ulan, i.e. having to replace the panel textures in the main folder instead of only in the "nation-specific skin folder", or it does and people simply don't care and replace the finnish panel labels for english globally anyway?

Well, without getting too technical, this is a problem on different vehicles. Some need these "resources" some don't.

The main thing here is that these types of mods have never been a priority for us. We give the user the ability to easily replace the basic exterior vehicle skins, and add custom sound files with the mods folder. We did this on purpose. Modifying vehicle interiors has never been something that we have laid the groundwork for, or made a priority to support. It just happens to be easier on some vehicles rather than others..

Not to say we don't want you to do it, but that we don't place requirements on artwork to support the user modifying these files. We do leave these files un-encrypted in most cases so you can though.

So, at least its possible ;-)

I was trying my best to sound like Nils here..

:men_ani: