Quick question

cobrabase

The main problem is water. Soldiers tend to spray the air induct system with a lot of water which then will cause a blown engine. Actually seen 3 engines blown at the wash rack just in one company.

Is that because the water soaked air filters are restricting air flow rather than being caused by water being ingested into the engine?

Is that because the water soaked air filters are restricting air flow rather than being caused by water being ingested into the engine?

Yes both, the water goes straight through the precleaner and is soaked in the air filters while at the bottom water builds up and then gets sucked through the engine.

Did they get wet?

You'd think a tank was a sealed environment, wouldn't you?

No.

It was the fact that they were sealed in.

If something major had happened, I at least was at the top of the "conning tower".

The Gunner being on my side of the turret could come straight up the long tube (if he could).

The Loader was on the other side of the turret with the gun breech in the way.

The Driver isn't even in the fighting compartment and has no direct escape route.

I'd be tempted to bring along a personal portable O2 device.

Yes well I think that was part of the issue - being required to wear an Army inflatable life jacket inside the already cramped interior.

Thankfully they didn't accidentally inflate them whilst in the vehicle.

Edited by Gibsonm