Mods install

billyboy

Here is a Windows 7 example:

I have a new skin for the M1a1. It is a woodland skin. To install it, I go here:

Libraries/Documents/eSim Games/Steel Beasts/mods/textures/woodland/us

It will now only appear in scenarios with a woodland theme, and only on a side with US as the nationality and, of coarse M1a1 tanks. So, if the scenario you load doesn't have these settings, the skin will not appear.

(Remember we have several models of this tank, a skin for the M1a1 will not appear on an M1a1HA)

One easy way to determine what nationality is being used in any given scenario is to look at the infantry. We have by default skins for all the infantry, for just about every nation. What we don't have is different skins for every vehicle, for every nation. So by looking at the infantry you can tell what the nation setting is for a side, in any particular scenario.

So, back to the example. I installed this new M1a1 skin, in the place above. I load a scenario with M1a1 tanks on the blue side. But I don't see the skin?? As stated in the paragraph above, find and infantry unit, look at it. I do this, and I see they are German. That tells me that this scenario has the nationality set to German. So, if I want my new M1a1 skin to show up, I need to place it in the de folder, instead of the us folder.

/woodland/de

The example I gave above is the way to do it without editing the scenario. If you have a scenario that isn't password protected, or if it is one of your own scenario's then you would just edit the nationality and change it to US instead of DE, and save. The skin would now appear if it was placed in the US folder.

This all sounds very complex, but it is pretty simple. We did all of this, all those folders, to give users maximum flexibility. Before we did this, you could only have 1 skin per theme(woodland, winter, etc), per vehicle. Now, as you see you can have many. One for each nation.

By the way, could anyone point me to a list of what the nation abbreviations in the "camouflage" menu mean? I know "cs" stands for Czech, "cn" for China, "il" for israel and "us" and "de" are obvious, but with others, I'm often clueless...

I didn't find it in any of the manuals.