Sean

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/03/2016 at 4:21 AM, Volcano said:
On 18/03/2016 at 0:02 PM, Grenny said:
On 18/03/2016 at 3:02 AM, Sean said:

Well, if you are reading this, the new site is on now.  It's totally different from the old one so everything is going to work differently.  Many thanks to Homer for his many hours of hard work on this setup.  It was a great team effort!

One thing that most users will have to do is to reload their signature image.  I don't think the old ones carried over correctly, at least mine did not.

So far the site wörks better onme mobile phone.

Lets see how der forum wörks on my PC.

Just FYI for everyone, if you dislike the background colors then press the black and white background button at the top.

Anyway, nice site with powerful tools I see. Awesome show, great job

On 18/03/2016 at 3:02 AM, Sean said:

Well, if you are reading this, the new site is on now.  It's totally different from the old one so everything is going to work differently.  Many thanks to Homer for his many hours of hard work on this setup.  It was a great team effort!

One thing that most users will have to do is to reload their signature image.  I don't think the old ones carried over correctly, at least mine did not.

My problem is that quoted text is too faint to read, being very light grey. Anyone else have this problem?

12 hours ago, Major duck said:

i had the problem that when i tried to post in my own thread i always got the whole first post and not an empty post to fill weird !!!

Me too. See my post above. This was a result of a straight 'Reply' attempt - not clicking on the Quote button.

To me, the text in the thread titles should be larger than the text used for the latest posts.  Every time I look my eyes are drawn to a list of names, instead of thread titles, the way it is now.

It could just be me though. 

I also liked the "joined date" we used to have below our avatars.  Sorta a badge of honor, and reminder of what a loser I am.

Also I think it would be cool to have something other that "junior member"  And "Senior Member".   Sounds like a retirement home lol.

Conscript<Veteran<Fearless<Legendary  or something like that.  

I put legendary at the end, because I know that's what would be used in my case, since I've been around so long :D   "Legend!"

Anyway, I would just add that everyone should be patient, and allow these guys time to recover from importing all of the old forum content over.  It must have been epic.  

Then over the coming months they can make this forum software "ours".   And implement things based on feedback from us, when and if they can.  

Except for my feedback of course.   It should be implemented right away, with great haste!  I want to be a legend damn it!  :ph34r:

Never mind , at this point I know what Sean would do.   He would put "Legendary Noob" in for me.   So just forget about it, ok!

• Administrators

To start a new post, click the empty space next to your avatar at the bottom of the thread.  That is working for me.  

Calendar - You can request RSVP from folks, I suspect that would send a reminder.  Users can also create a activity stream to keep track of what they want to see on a daily basis.  There is a follow this button - not entirely sure what that does.  You can also download the calendar in various formats and put into your own calendar and create reminders there.  Lots of options here.  

At one point we did user titles based on how many posts they had.  That resulted in a whole lot of one word posts.  

I'll see about increasing the thread title size.  

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

It might be me, but it seems to take quite a long time to load pages too.

E.g. 11 Minutes between making this post and being able to edit it - unworkable :(

But perhaps that is still being tuned.

Are you behind a caching web proxy?  Try Cntrl - Reload to force a reload of the page.

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Calendar - You can request RSVP from folks, I suspect that would send a reminder.  Users can also create a activity stream to keep track of what they want to see on a daily basis.  There is a follow this button - not entirely sure what that does.  You can also download the calendar in various formats and put into your own calendar and create reminders there.  Lots of options here. 

Sean,

Thanks.

But that still means the onus is on the person to go to the Calendar and ask for a RVSP.

The old system put up a general reminder and the player didn't have to do something - just trying to make it as easy as possible for potential players, as soon as they have to do something I figure 50% will miss out as the either don't know to, or don't want to make the effort to.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

I think that there might be a problem with "Reviewsů in the "Downloadsů section: some of the files had comments, and while there is a note like "1 review", the comment from the old site cannot be shown. At least I cannot see it.

Yes, that is correct.  Had to choose between the ratings and the text reviews.  

I understand the layout is still evolving but I quite liked seeing the upcoming events and the recently added downloads listed on the right.

These have now been replaced by usage statistics.

Can we choose what is displayed in the right hand panel or is that a global setting?

On 3/20/2016 at 6:03 AM, RogueSnake79 said:

To me, the text in the thread titles should be larger than the text used for the latest posts.  Every time I look my eyes are drawn to a list of names, instead of thread titles, the way it is now.

It could just be me though. 

I also liked the "joined date" we used to have below our avatars.  Sorta a badge of honor, and reminder of what a loser I am.

Also I think it would be cool to have something other that "junior member"  And "Senior Member".   Sounds like a retirement home lol.

Conscript<Veteran<Fearless<Legendary  or something like that.  

I put legendary at the end, because I know that's what would be used in my case, since I've been around so long :D   "Legend!"

Anyway, I would just add that everyone should be patient, and allow these guys time to recover from importing all of the old forum content over.  It must have been epic.  

Then over the coming months they can make this forum software "ours".   And implement things based on feedback from us, when and if they can.  

Except for my feedback of course.   It should be implemented right away, with great haste!  I want to be a legend damn it!  :ph34r:

Never mind , at this point I know what Sean would do.   He would put "Legendary Noob" in for me.   So just forget about it, ok!

Hover your cursor over an person's avatar to see detailed info like join date. It also allows for a small degree of personalizing (yours looks good btw).

I think whole member title thing is useless because it's based solely on the number of post one makes.  There's a number stat for that already.  I think it can be misleading also.  There are lurkers out that who have been around a long time and are just as versed in SB-fu as the veterans.  Is it accurate to label them as junior members?  Having said that... there is something new in the form of little circles under the title which increase in number the more you post.

P.S.  We finally might get around to adding new smilies that you requested years ago  :)

13 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I understand the layout is still evolving but I quite liked seeing the upcoming events and the recently added downloads listed on the right.

These have now been replaced by usage statistics.

Can we choose what is displayed in the right hand panel or is that a global setting?

Global.